What would you want to see in a headless switchbox?

ryan_turner

Nov 16, 2015
Memphis, TN
Hi,

I'm working on an idea for a headless switchbox, controlled either over bluetooth or wifi (I've tried both, found bluetooth works better since this is so transient) by a mobile device. Initially the idea came from running out of space in my Tacoma to fit more stuff (already have two motorola astro spectras and an Icom ID-880H), so I figured I'd use my phone as the controller. It could also work though with any Android Auto device or a MDT.

Anyway, in playing around with it, I've realized that there are lots of options that are possible now that I'm completely removed from the hardware. Buttons on the phone don't have to correspond with individual relays, buttons can actually negate one another, heck you can make states besides just "on" or "off". It makes for a lot of flexibility, but I think a more guided approach will be more user friendly. I'm curious what you all think about the following:

• How about the ability to have button groups that then have master switches?
  • What about a separate page that lets you manually manipulate the state of each relay (I can see this useful for truck checks or troubleshooting hardware failure)?
  • What about buttons that actually turn *off* certain relays, so you have a way to override certain things? (maybe useful if you use a master switch and then want to specifically turn rear lighting into scene lighting, for instance)
  • What do you think about integrating with GPS or gyro/accelerometer to automatically set specific states (for instance when back home, turn it all off; or, after responding and coming to a complete stop, switch the front warning off)
  • What else would you like to see?

Also important, those of you who already have a smartphone controlled switchbox, do you make much use of it that way? In my case, it's going to be my only option. I'm curious when you've got both what you tend to prefer.

Thanks! I'm working on all of this under a GPLv3 license, so the software will be free and the hardware publicly documented. Once I've got something stable and ready to share, I'll update things.

Edit: figured I'd add my current wish list:

• Momentary buttons
  • Linked buttons (one turns another on, rather than simply having both turn the same relay on)
  • 3 way toggle/slider/??? (dont quite know how to display this in the UI yet)
  • Serve as a flasher?? (would need to add solid state relays)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.