Whelen 295HFSA1 siren problem

dpd4703

May 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just got around to replacing a PA300 in our mobile CP (old DFR 1997 Wheeled Coach Type I) with a Whelen 295HFSA1 that I purchased on ELB a good while back. When switched "on" the sci-test does not light up, but the PA and radio rebroadcast work fine. When the airhorn or siren tones are activated I get a slow but steady "popping" sound through the speaker and the spkeaker 1 light flashes as the popping sounds.

Any ideas where I went wrong installing or do I have a bad siren? I used the existing wiring from the PA300 install. I am unsure if the siren brake or aux enable wires were capped and will check that when I go back in tomorrow. Thanks for any help...

js_installs

Jun 15, 2010
Chester, s.c
Are you running 100 watt or 200 watt ? If im not mistaking if the speaker light is flashing

that indicates an electrical shortage in the speaker wiring .

acousticman

Nov 5, 2011
US Salem,VA
it is possible that the voice coil is partially shorted. With a slight misalignment, the coil rubs the magnet and turns short. This will work somewhat with the PA300, but the Whelen looks at the current drawn by the speaker and indicates a short. I think this is your problem as you say it "pops" and flashes, a full short there would be no sound. You might be able to determine this with an ohm meter, a good voice coil will read about 5 ohms, d.c. any lower and there are shorted turns. A visual inspection of the coil will verify this. In my previous life as a communications maintenance tech, I saw this type of failure. Got pretty good at field repair of siren drivers.

Now, I am not sure if the Whelen will show a short for one side of the speaker wire insulation being cut and shorted to the vehicle frame, they came out after I stopped doing that type of work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.