Whelen Core VS Cantrol

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Not trying to downsell Cantrol, as I have one, but Core will give you current and future support, as well as V2V sync and DVI.

I went Cantrol because while I am persnickety about wanting the lighting patterns and combos I want when I want them, I don't use my lights often enough to justify spending double what I paid for my very good condition used unit.

I'm not sure if Whelen is actively producing WECAN accessories anymore.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Cantrol can flash outputs, and run a few WeCan devices. It has some limits. Your WeCan devices will not truly sync with the other outputs on Cantrol. No DVI, no flashing control heads, and it is no longer being made. Its a good option for someone on a budget that doesn’t need unlimited capabilities.
With Core, everything is synced. Up to 99 WCX devices. It is still being made, and updated. And there will still be new things coming out for it. If its in your budget, there is no question which one is superior. There isn’t much that Core can’t do.

ResetLaw

Jun 7, 2023
Macon GA
Cantrol can flash outputs, and run a few WeCan devices. It has some limits. Your WeCan devices will not truly sync with the other outputs on Cantrol. No DVI, no flashing control heads, and it is no longer being made. Its a good option for someone on a budget that doesn’t need unlimited capabilities.
With Core, everything is synced. Up to 99 WCX devices. It is still being made, and updated. And there will still be new things coming out for it. If its in your budget, there is no question which one is superior. There isn’t much that Core can’t do.
I have 3 CVPI bars that I want to custom make them, now I want to flash every lighthead separately, in total there is 23 lights that I want to flash individually, so should I go with a cantrol, or a core I want to have as much outputs so I can do this build

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I have 3 CVPI bars that I want to custom make them, now I want to flash every lighthead separately, in total there is 23 lights that I want to flash individually, so should I go with a cantrol, or a core I want to have as much outputs so I can do this build
If thats all that you want to do, both with work just fine, assuming that you need positive outputs at less than 2.5amps per output. But if you plan on expanding, and doing anything more, Core would be a safer choice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.