Whelen edge 9000 Beginner Help

cyrillux

Jun 23, 2023
Luxembourg
Hello, i have a Lightbar that i took from work cause it was going to get thrown away.

I have absolutely no clue what it is for sure and i wanna know how i can see if it still work or not could anybody help me figure it out please.

Pictures are below :)

Thank you :D

Attachments

• WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.09.jpg
    WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.09.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 20
  • WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.11.jpg
    WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.11.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 20
  • WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.12.jpg
    WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.12.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 17
  • WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.111.jpg
    WhatsApp Bild 2023-06-23 um 23.19.111.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 19

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
I don't have one of these lightbars so I'm basing this on @shues Identification of the lightbar and my interpretation of the pics you posted (thanks for those! good pics always help!)

Here's what I see:
1687628515331.png

Those big fat wires on the left, they're primary power into the strobe power supplies and non-TA halogen lamps (i.e. alleys, front/rear flashers).
Assuming you have two power supplies, plus alley lights and flashers, I'm guessing you'll need around 12V, 30A to reliably test.

Next, peel back and expose the black cable on the right side "+12V - LOW CURRENT SWITCHING".
As you connect each conductor in the bundle to +12V, you _should_ be able to see each discreet function in the lightbar, turned on (i.e. strobes, alleys, rear/front flashers, etc).

W/R/T the gray cable, I *think* this is for the traffic advisor and you may have to get a TA controller to get it working. I believe each conductor within the gray cable corresponds with each of eight lamps behind the yellow lens portion in the rear of your lightbar.

I'm not exactly sure how it works...but if you take the lightbar apart and follow the conductors in the gray cable, it _should_ make sense.

FWIW, I think you have a really neat lightbar!
HTH!

Reactions: cyrillux

cyrillux

Jun 23, 2023
Luxembourg
I don't have one of these lightbars so I'm basing this on @shues Identification of the lightbar and my interpretation of the pics you posted (thanks for those! good pics always help!)

Here's what I see:
View attachment 245176

Those big fat wires on the left, they're primary power into the strobe power supplies and non-TA halogen lamps (i.e. alleys, front/rear flashers).
Assuming you have two power supplies, plus alley lights and flashers, I'm guessing you'll need around 12V, 30A to reliably test.

Next, peel back and expose the black cable on the right side "+12V - LOW CURRENT SWITCHING".
As you connect each conductor in the bundle to +12V, you _should_ be able to see each discreet function in the lightbar, turned on (i.e. strobes, alleys, rear/front flashers, etc).

W/R/T the gray cable, I *think* this is for the traffic advisor and you may have to get a TA controller to get it working. I believe each conductor within the gray cable corresponds with each of eight lamps behind the yellow lens portion in the rear of your lightbar.

I'm not exactly sure how it works...but if you take the lightbar apart and follow the conductors in the gray cable, it _should_ make sense.

FWIW, I think you have a really neat lightbar!
HTH!
Thanks a lot, so i found out that on the +12V if i put some of the cables to the brown one i get a few lights working. Some i hear a click but nothing lights up i am gonna se if the bulbs are good. I got the normal sidelights to work the front ones and the blue one that do a left and right on the back.

Reactions: RS485

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
If memory serves me correctly it’s been a longtime since I’ve messed with strobe bars but a clicking I believe is either a bad strobe tube or power supply.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.