Whelen Edge LED Conversion.

GreY2231

Oct 22, 2023
Germany
Hello, I am new to the forum.
I just recently bought a Whelen Edge Light bar. I currently have a Hänsch 975 DBS LED (German version of the Edge/Freedom)
I am pretty new to the scene and would like to convert the Edge to LED.

I mainly just visit Comic Cons and such with a group and use my '93 Blazer as a Police/Umbrella (Resident Evil) Prop vehicle on our stand. Other than that the truck is my Daily.

I purchased the light from a good friend and I have not picked it up yet. I only have a picture for now. I will go pick it up soon.
He says the Inner strobes stop working after a few minutes so i am wondering if the flasher board may be toast.
I want to convert 100% to LED Either way.

Do I need to get a different control board for the LEDs?
I know the 400 and 700 series from the Freedom will fit and have heard/read that the Ultra will not fit.
I also have the short caps so I know the corner lights need to be the short versions.

Since I live in Germany I have to rely on websites for parts and Information.
I have done a lot of online research but nothing really concrete that is easily understood by a lightbar Newb.

I am professional car/bike mechanic so I know my way around electronics very well. Including home appliances, I've repaired all my TVs to keep em going.

Also is it easy to tell from the Picture I have which lights it has? This way I can already start gathering info and prices on what I need to buy.

I appreciate any help and say thank you in advance.

Chris,

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-22 at 01.40.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-22 at 01.40.43.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 29
thats a duplex bar, the biggest issue you are going to have is that the freedom bars dont use that frame size, the heads will not line up properly,
id suggest to try and find an ultra or 9m bar to use for the project
I have all the parts you will need and the option of just a bar built and read to go.
I ship worldwide

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
thats a duplex bar, the biggest issue you are going to have is that the freedom bars dont use that frame size, the heads will not line up properly,
id suggest to try and find an ultra or 9m bar to use for the project
I have all the parts you will need and the option of just a bar built and read to go.
I ship worldwide
I totally agree; A 9M or Ultra will make this super simple and the frames can be had for pretty cheap. A duplex bar is worth something (to me at least) as it is and I wouldn't convert it. @Ranger-Services.com (www.JPerry:ightbing.com) is going to be a great resource.

GreY2231

Oct 22, 2023
Germany
Ok. sounds good. Since I am just using it for Cosplay and conventions I am not really in the know of what something like this is worth. Here in Germany they are pretty rare as well but since I am using a wall plug with a 12v adapter (30A) the Halogens pull too much power and the flashers are too bright for Con visitors and I am not allowed to use the lights indoors. So I will convert it either way unless I can locate a full LED Version. If it has some worth as is I am willing to let it go for a good price but just keep in mind I live in Germany so shipping costs are not going to be cheap and I am not sure if it is worth more here or there.
But still thank you very much for the help and the tip. I will keep an eye out for the right parts.

koga

Jul 2, 2014
Budapest, Hungary
Just wondering if you picked up the bar and started any conversion?
I would like to see more photos of it if possible, as others said these are rare in Europe and it would be a waste to convert.
I am located in Hungary and perhaps I can help you out with some parts or trade.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.