Whelen Freedom VS Whelen Liberty

JollyRogerPCS

Nov 26, 2015
Chattanooga. TN
Hey guys,

I'm looking into converting my Whelen Edge into a Whelen Freedom. Looking at all the various parts I'm going to need I cant seem to find one part. A Freedom LED flasher. I find them for the Liberty bar though. Is this the same controller but more connections added for the Freedom? I'm only planning to have four corner LEDs and takedown/alley lights. To the rear I want to put a LED message board otherwise I would just get a Liberty.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
In my experience, the SX Liberty control board seems to be identical to the FX Freedom control board. The Freedom does not require any additional outputs, as both halves of each lighthead connect to only one output using a wye cable, Whelen part 46-0722108-00.

Additionally, if you're considering using an Edge 9000 or Edge 9M frame, have a look at this:
I have just gone through some of this myself. I'll answer the questions I can.

I believe so. However, you can't get modular corner modules to mount in an Edge 9000 frame extrusion without first cutting/grinding off the lower inner mounting tab. It does not slide into the extrusion, as there is no channel for it:

ai.imgur.com_ihtzV.jpg

ai.imgur.com_lu2nA.jpg

ai.imgur.com_8vqg4.jpg

ai.imgur.com_IBDqn.jpg

Ultra frames are 2" larger in the front-to-back dimension. Edge 9000 frame extrusions lack the mounting channel for the modular corner modules as pictured above.

When I purchased some over the last few months, I used the word "standoff" in my wanted thread and had several people understand what I meant. There are some by that name for sale in the classifieds currently.

Yes, and there are no special mounts. In fact, the 9M uses 400-series halogens for alley lights. Ultra and 9M endcaps have clips and bosses designed to retain 400-series lightheads.

The above comes from this thread: http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/whelen-edge-9m-questions.35474/

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I was in your shoes with this problem. Was going to use a Whelen ULF44 for the blinkies (8 heads) But if you want flashing TDS and alleys then go with a control board.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.