Whelen Halo LED System

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
So, I need some advice- I just purchased a Whelen Halo (4) kit for my taillights. I've always wanted DOT approved LED Taillights, and I am also not happy with the limited placement options for self contained LAW's.... Oh, and the Whelen Halo kit was at too good of a price to pass up.

Thankfully my vehicle has the exact same connections for taillights as a CVPI... but now I am looking for tips and tricks that people who have installed them know.

Also, want some opinions- are these the best/brightest LAW option currently on the market?

Thanks!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Got some news.. Apparently Whelen Has DISCONTINUED the HALO system- wondering what they are about to release in its place...

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
I believe they have been discontinued for awhile. They never where very popular, partly due to price so I dont see them coming out with a replacement anytime soon.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
I installed a set in a 2008 ford F-250 Super Duty. The only modifications I had to make was swap one wire on the rear tailight LED assemblies. Chose to swap the wires on the LED waterproof connectors instead of the truck side so returning to OEM bulbs would be easy. Sorry, cannnot remember which wires I had to swap. Also, the orientation of the LED "bulbs" in the light housing was different than stated in the instructions, the Ford P/U taillights socket was slightly different than the CVPI. Other than that they worked great and owner was pleased with their performance. One thing, if I am not mistaken, the HALO's are only DOT approved for the specific year model CVPI's mentioned in the instructions, in other words they are not approved for any other vehicles. First movie is lights in warning mode, second movie is 4 way flashers. Click on pictures for short movies.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_Whelen_20Halos_th_Picture004.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_Whelen_20Halos_th_MyMovie.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
It has arrived..

...And I have never seen more vague install/hook up instructions in my life before.. Crap.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Okay, about 12 hours later, 2 people, 3 additional assistants/observers, spread over one evening/night - and the following day; parked overnight in a garage, about $150.00 worth of hard liquor consumed... (which may of been why it took so long..) :lol:

... They are finally installed, and working perfectly! Holy CRAP are they bright- both day and night- both standard STT functions, and warning patterns!

Mind you, I took the really REALLY hard way of installing these- custom making some harness' and combining it with the whelen one, and the stock taillight harness.

Review and photos/video soon to follow. Sadly, I NEVER took any "in progress" photos... Just never think of taking a photo during that time.

I will say this- these are by far the BEST option for LAW's in taillights if they will fit your vehicle. And I've tried quite a few LAW's before this.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Yea but have you tried putting 2 or 3 of the TRI LAWS in the same housing???? Bet that would almost put those halo's to shame!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Fast LT1 said:
Yea but have you tried putting 2 or 3 of the TRI LAWS in the same housing???? Bet that would almost put those halo's to shame!
haha- hell NO. I thought so as well before I got these... - I just pulled 4 TRI's out of those housings- and even tried the TRI's in the stock STT hole for shits and giggles- the difference was night and day. (with the HALO's coming out the clear victor)

Hell they even put SOS universal Undercovers to shame in the same housings...

I guess with all the standards Whelen had to meet with these passing DOT for certain Crown Vics- they had to get all the LED spacing, angles, LED firing order and mostly the funky reflector just right. That reflector on the end does actually do a heck of a good job.

And the best part? The Signal Stat pattern option for Stop and Turn signals... I've noticed drivers paying way more attention to my braking actions now. (in less than a week using them nonetheless)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Its by far the best thing IMO- but a total snob b!tch to get hooked up/wired. As I said before- I've reviewed and owned quite a few types/models of LAW's.

I'm even keeping my eyes open for a front side marker set now... and replacing my SOS universal undercovers up front.

The ONLY downsides:

1. Price. In a vehicle cost comparison world, this is a custom Rolls Royce, with Whelen Vertex being a used beater car- missing a muffler and window.

2. wiring- regardless of application. Better have the correct (very expensive) special crimping tool or its even worse. You also have to know wiring pretty well- as you have to hack into the OEM factory lighting harness. Mine I ended up butchering beyond belief. I'm not looking forward to the day when I uninstall this- and have to hook up OEM bulbs/harness direct again.

3. Whelen DISCONTINUED the product... I'd love to see a second revision (updated model) which does not cost as much- and can perform even better. (although I'm sure that would be too bright for DOT approval..) Even if they released the 4 bulb kit for 350- I'd say its well worth the cost.

4. Not really a complaint- but the flasher/controller box for the 4 light system is larger than a 90 watt Strobe power supply. :shock:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I know you've reviewed pretty much ever LAW on the market and if you say they are the best i'm inclined to believe it. If i find a set for a halfway decent price, if i can even find a set at all i think i might pick them up and make a weekend project out of it!

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
FYI, using anything besides solid steady-on for your brake signal is illegal. FMVSS prohibits it and CMVSS is pretty much the same. You will notice Whelen has discontinued the Signal Alert-to-steady brake pattern on ALL of their lightheads because of this (maybe they should've checked before making it! LOL)

BTW I'll buy those HALOs from you once you're done with them. ;)

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Solvarex said:
FYI, using anything besides solid steady-on for your brake signal is illegal. FMVSS prohibits it and CMVSS is pretty much the same. You will notice Whelen has discontinued the Signal Alert-to-steady brake pattern on ALL of their lightheads because of this (maybe they should've checked before making it! LOL)

BTW I'll buy those HALOs from you once you're done with them. ;)
I thought that only applied to the CHMSL (3rd light, cyclops, whatever)?

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
whatevah said:
I thought that only applied to the CHMSL (3rd light, cyclops, whatever)?

As far as i am aware it only applies to the CHMSL, otherwise how do people get away with TLF's????? :?:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
It's only the CHMSL. You can flash the other brake lights all you want in the US. Canada, meh... who knows...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
zacmtz7 said:
Think a HALO system would work in the rear lights on a charger? The led's would look sweet in those housings.
I'm pretty sure they can easily replace any 3157 or like bulb.... heavy modification would be required on the charger harness if you use a 4 led HALO system.

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
ive got the police edition. in theory it should work as long as there is no backflow from the control box. Has anyone put a set in the charger?

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Yea i can't find them! Post a link PLEASE!!!!!!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
unlisted said:
Woah, that was cheap for a front set.... I gotta pay more attention to fleabay..[/quote:2fw637ey]

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
I know I am a little late to the game but I just put a 2 head kit in the front turn signals of my 07 Dodge Ram. It was very easy actually. As soon as I get my camera I will get the install pics up.

May 23, 2010
LaGrange, KY
how hard are they to install in a crown vic??

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Just an update..

Still going strong, no issues at all, other than drivers keeping off my tailside.. Which, well is not an issue in my books! :cool:

John911

Jun 10, 2010
USA - CT
HALO lights were designed for use with CV only. These lights and that application's unique reflector design worked together to make FMVSS compliant brake/tail/turn light. Move the HALO to another application and bye bye FMVSS.

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
unlisted said:
Just an update..
Still going strong, no issues at all, other than drivers keeping off my tailside.. Which, well is not an issue in my books! :cool:

Can you make a video of them in action ie;STT functions with the signal alert, and warning mode? I'd love to see :)

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
John911 said:
HALO lights were designed for use with CV only. These lights and that application's unique reflector design worked together to make FMVSS compliant brake/tail/turn light. Move the HALO to another application and bye bye FMVSS.

This is completely true. I have been running them in my 07 Ram for a year or so but you have to be careful

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gram1427

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.