Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
i hate how light manufacturers tease us! :sadcry:

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Why would you release a new product, or variation in this case, and not have at least one image and some decent information about it?

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't think it's actually been released, I think they are just setting up the website, it doesn't show up under new products when I click on it from the main page

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I think the new issue of Police Fleet Manager magazine has a pic or 2 of this bar, as well as a new 2-level Code3 bar

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Well at least I was able to see a new color cencom controller...the blue faceplate on the cencom sapphire controller looks a LOT better than the red & slightly less like a fisher price product

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 11.25.59 PM.png

not POSITIVE its the independence but its whelen... and like nothing else they have. What better way to unveil it than at the Daytona 500?

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 11.26.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 11.26.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 11.26.46 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
What does this have to do with the Whelen Liberty Independence? The lightbar on that car is a special NASCAR bar that is not available to the public by Whelen.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
K9Vic said:
What does this have to do with the Whelen Liberty Independence? The lightbar on that car is a special NASCAR bar that is not available to the public by Whelen.

Thats why i asked if it could be related... The lack of info always leads to speculation.

That being said, it does lead you to some ideas on future bars... At first I thought the endcaps would lend itself to horrible off axis.. then I saw the "V" thread and figured one of those lights could make it pretty nice.

Either way... they need to hurry up and release something. I really want to see. If they are going to do something in the current liberty frame, will double stacked legacy modules fit in it?

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
I think we may have seen the Liberty Independence already, or at least a beta version:

60234d1379726503-official-identify-light-lightbar-modern-thread-lr114.jpg

This was posted in September 2013, in the modern lightbar ID thread. This may be it.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
That just looks like a Liberty Duo.

As for the Nascar? Is that the one that started on fire? Stellar install, is the battery in the trunk of the Caprice? As for the lights, Whelen makes them custom for Nascar, they are not retail units.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
rwo978 said:
That just looks like a Liberty Duo.

As for the Nascar? Is that the one that started on fire? Stellar install, is the battery in the trunk of the Caprice? As for the lights, Whelen makes them custom for Nascar, they are not retail units.

Yup just saw a better picture of them. You would think that whelen would rather have something like their legacy bars on there for the advertising

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
OTFD122 said:
Here ya go... Basically a double stacked Legacy:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e268_OTFD122_is8rrrr_zpsfab956f3.jpg

it looks like only the corners are double stacked.

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
FEVER said:
it looks like only the corners are double stacked.

I don't have a better pic... But I have it from a "source" that it's more or less 2 Legacies sandwiched together in a double stack type setup. Still 4-6 weeks out as they are tweeking it a bit

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
In theory this should make it even more expensive than the legacy....

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
twodogs603 said:
If that is really it, that is one ugly lightbar. I will take a standard Liberty any day.

I suspect it looks a little "off" because of the quality and angle of that image. I bet it looks a lot like the Liberty with the exception of the spacer/gaskets being placed only in the center of the bar.

I agree that my first impression is that this bar will be more expensive than the Legacy. The double stacked corner modules make me think Freedom instead of Liberty for some reason.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Seeing the pics posted of the Independence, I still think the inboard modules of the lightbar mounted on the LRPD unit is a prototype version. Those modules have the appearance of being double-stacked. Since the Independence is basically a double-stacked version of the Legacy, I can only imagine what the Freedom version is going to look like (quadruple-stacked?).

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Sooo...what does this bar do that the trio liberty didn't do?

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
GPC said:
Sooo...what does this bar do that the trio liberty didn't do?

I'm thinking this is simply the process of evolution, and the Liberty Independence will become the default Liberty available for purchase in the future. Whelen is probably streamlining the core lightbar products (Legacy, Liberty and Freedom), and offer the same LED technology in each chassis. Lightbars with 400 Series and 500 Series linear modules are probably going to be phased out, and restricted to "entry level" products such as the Century Elite and the Justice.

I can't imagine that cost would be out of reach for most agencies. There's a SOLO model, offering single-color modules (Traffic Advisor still available with DUO technology) and competitive pricing. If you want all the bells and whistles, you'll pay for it; but, with fleet purchases, the quantity should offset the unit cost.

I hope the XLP Dominators aren't too far off either!

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Jman423 said:
I suspect it looks a little "off" because of the quality and angle of that image. I bet it looks a lot like the Liberty with the exception of the spacer/gaskets being placed only in the center of the bar.

I agree that my first impression is that this bar will be more expensive than the Legacy. The double stacked corner modules make me think Freedom instead of Liberty for some reason.

Is it for sure double stacked corners?

Based on the pictures I posted earlier, I think it's the diamond optix in the corners that is making it appear to be double stacked.

If it really was double stacked, we should see 6 vertical blobs, and not 3.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
FEVER said:
Thats why i asked if it could be related... The lack of info always leads to speculation.

I don't watch NASCAR... or any other racing series, but I've seen similar bars like that before on Pace cars. They always appear to be some weird clear bubble dome thing with smaller lightheads mounted inside. Custom jobs. Never anything commercially available.

I agree with you that it seems weird that they wouldn't slap a commercially available product on it for advertising... but *shrug*... probably something written in a contract somewhere...

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
bluestinger90 said:
Is it for sure double stacked corners?

Based on the pictures I posted earlier, I think it's the diamond optix in the corners that is making it appear to be double stacked.

If it really was double stacked, we should see 6 vertical blobs, and not 3.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... to me, it appears that the corner modules are double stacked, where the Legacy, being thinner, only has one corner module (height). The corner module on the new bar even has the forward facing portion built into it, similar to the old Edge strobe assemblies that were available.

I don't know anything for certain, that was just my first impression form looking at the only picture I've seen of the bar.

I think Whelen thinks the economy has fully recovered... their recent products have been extremely expensive. But hey, agencies can get a fully loaded Liberty for less than $900 on state contracts, so that's probably what their aiming for these days.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Jman423 said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... to me, it appears that the corner modules are double stacked, where the Legacy, being thinner, only has one corner module (height). The corner module on the new bar even has the forward facing portion built into it, similar to the old Edge strobe assemblies that were available.

I don't know anything for certain, that was just my first impression form looking at the only picture I've seen of the bar.

I think Whelen thinks the economy has fully recovered... their recent products have been extremely expensive. But hey, agencies can get a fully loaded Liberty for less than $900 on state contracts, so that's probably what their aiming for these days.

The instruction manual confirms it is double stacked. This thing is going to be expensive!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
bluestinger90 said:
The instruction manual confirms it is double stacked. This thing is going to be expensive!

Corners only. It appears the inner is a module similar to what's in a Justice/Responder, a single stack unit.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
All the new Liberty bars are available on the WeCad program to build and check out the options that can be build into them. Priceing looks to about the same as the current liberty bars.

Last edited by a moderator:

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
ff168577 said:
The Whelen Liberty II, Dyad. So, they have pretty much made the freedom lower in height with double stacked legacy modules.

Crazy. That'll probably cost a bit. I wonder if they will come out with new single row corner modules?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.