Wire color coding and organization.

huntinggamo

Jan 9, 2011
northern colorado, USA
I used to work in a shop and we built all of our own harnesses. we had a sheet of paper with all ouf our wire color coding, for example siren speakers were 14ga black/white twisted pair, grill leds were always light blue/grey/black 18ga twisted together. Black was always ground, and grey was always sync, then the color was the power.

Are any of you doing something similar and if so what is it, could i see a copy of your color coding chart and or ideas? I am geting ready to do alot of wiring on a project im working on and lost our old sheet, I liked the system, it made sense. I could just make up my own but i figured maby someone already had something put together.

Also on an unrelated note does anyone have the wireing chart for patrol power harnesses?

huntinggamo

Jan 9, 2011
northern colorado, USA
I used to work at a local ev shop and we had a system in place for what wire colors we ran where for what purpose. it helped a ton when doing an install so that you knew what was what. for example i remember a few, brown black twist of 18ga was for the gun lock, black white trist of 16ga was for the siren speakers, light green dark green twist 16ga was for headlight flashers, ect. 

I have since lost the old cheat sheet we used to use and was wondering if anyone did something similar or had suggestions on keeping things organized.

if you do have a color coding system in place would you mind posting it?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
:D You need a fancy print system like they have

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
Here is the link to the nearly identical thread you started 3 years ago that no one replied to:

Please do not take that as degrading, just providing link for everyone benefit, and hope it does not sound/come across that way), was not intended to be.

Another link:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tsquale and rwo978

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.