Yes another SmartSiren question...

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Before I start with my question, yes, Zapp, I have used the search function and came up empty. :D

Ok, on with the question. I have a SS2000SM that I will be using to control everything, however, I will not be using the siren amplifier for the actual siren functions that it can produce. I will have all siren/sound tones disabled completely with no speakers hooked up to the amp. The manual states that Pin 6 of the control harness is recommended to be connected to a ignition sense source and fused for 20 amps. I am not so much worried about the ignition sense source but I am scratching my head about the 20 amps. So, that being said, my question is this. If I am not going to use the siren amplifier at all and all siren functions will be completely disabled, do I still need to use a 20 amp source or can I drop the amperage input since all that the power source will need to push is power to the control head for the most part?

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
You may be able to get away with lowering the fuse amperage on the main power cable but I would leave the ignition wire fused to factory reccomendations.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
foxtrot5 said:
You may be able to get away with lowering the fuse amperage on the main power cable but I would leave the ignition wire fused to factory reccomendations.
The harness has only one power wire that is recommended to be fused at 20 amps. I did look at the power consumption for the smartsiren and the siren part itself only draws 9 amps peak. Everything else draws from a separate power source. I am thinking I can fuse that harness wire at 10 amps and I should be ok.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
IIRC, the Smart Siren has the ignition sense wire and a primary power wire, correct? If that's the case fuse the ignition sense wire as the manual recommends and then determine what size fuse you need for everything else on the main power wire. Also, there are fuses contained within the "brain" of the SS which you may be able to change to lower rated fuses if your draw is low enough.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
foxtrot5 said:
IIRC, the Smart Siren has the ignition sense wire and a primary power wire, correct? If that's the case fuse the ignition sense wire as the manual recommends and then determine what size fuse you need for everything else on the main power wire. Also, there are fuses contained within the "brain" of the SS which you may be able to change to lower rated fuses if your draw is low enough.

The SS2000SM requires power to be fed to the brain by 3 wires. Input power wire #1 goes into the Molex harness at pin 6. This is the power wire for the siren amp and the control head. It's also the wire that is listed to be connected to an ignition sense fuse or a separate control switch. Input power wire #2 feeds the lighting relays and lighting circuitry only. The last input power wire feeds power to the SM plug. So, technically the wire that controls the control head also controls the siren amp, which in the manual, the siren only draws 9 amps at peak, so I am thinking that since I will not be using any of the siren functions in the brain at all, I won't need to fuse that line at 20 amps since the only draw will be basically the control head itself. I just need to know how low of an amperage can I fuse the pin 6 wire at and the control head still be able to operate as it should without creating the magic smoke inside the brain.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
If the fuse is too low, it will simply pop. No risk of magic smoke.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.