Movies & Television: Police, Fire & EMS Vehicles

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
attachicon.gif
Spaced Invaders.jpg

attachicon.gif
SI2.jpg
I love that Jeep. My dad had one like it and I loved driving it.

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Speaking of Jeeps and similar vehicles, I couldn't find a Jeep CJ5 with a Twinsonic but I did find this Toyota Landcruiser with one.

lasd_amrt_rescue.jpg

I also ran across this Pennsylvania State Police 1983 Jeep Wagoneer with a unique siren / light combo.

niaStatePolice1983JeepWagoneer-vi.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Speaking of Jeeps and similar vehicles, I couldn't find a Jeep CJ5 with a Twinsonic but I did find this Toyota Landcruiser with one.

attachicon.gif
lasd_amrt_rescue.jpg

I also ran across this Pennsylvania State Police 1983 Jeep Wagoneer with a unique siren / light combo.

attachicon.gif
niaStatePolice1983JeepWagoneer-vi.jpg
I've seen pix of a Jeep ambulance that had a TwinSonic. If I'm correctly it's now in an ambulance museum in Atlanta and was part of the late Bo Pounds' collection.

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Did the Jeep ambulance look something like this?

attachicon.gif
IMG_1270.jpg
If you search http://www.goldcrossems.com/?page_id=681you will find the collection you mentioned.

If you search http://www.goldcrossems.com/?page_id=681  will find the collection you mentioned.
Did the Jeep ambulance look something like this?

attachicon.gif
IMG_1270.jpg

If you search  http://www.goldcrossems.com/?page_id=681. you will find the collection you mentioned.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia

This was filmed next county over from mine. All the cars and officers where from various agencies in south Georgia. My uncle is in one of the boats you see.

Reactions: CrownVic97

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
They shot some of it in Fayette County.  The Cottonwood Inn, a La Grange motel, was re-named the Cottonmouth Inn for the movie.  The county courthouse was used for the trial scene.  I was a juror. :blush:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA

WtM.jpg

Saints and Scroungers.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
They shot some of it in Fayette County.  The Cottonwood Inn, a La Grange motel, was re-named the Cottonmouth Inn for the movie.  The county courthouse was used for the trial scene.  I was a juror. :blush:
You know that the movie, "Waltz Across Texas" was also shot in TX and was produced by a guy I went to high school with, Terry Jastrow.  In 1971, part of the movie, "When Legends Die" was shot at the Ector County Coliseum in Odessa during the Sand Hills Rodeo.  I was on the ambulance crew that night and we were in a very brief shot where Richard Widmark's character was injured and we loaded him onto the cot.  If I remember correctly, however, that part was edited out (so much for our claim to fame).

Last edited by a moderator:

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Con Air - 1997

1987 Chevrolet Caprice

87 Chevy Caprice.jpg

1991 Ford Crown Victoria

91 Vic.jpg

1991 Ford Crown Vic.jpg

Kawasaki KZ1000

KZ1000.jpg

Kawi.jpg

Seagrave (Note the 4 beacons on the cab roof)

Seagrave.jpg

vlcsnap2010040115h11m37.1569.jpg

MCI MC-9

MCI MC-9.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Maybe we should post the pix and see who can identify the programme or movie they came from. :undecided:

KA2.jpg

KA2-b.jpg

KA2-c.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Fletch2.jpg

Outside-in pattern.

Fletch3.jpg

Fletch4.jpg

Fletch5.jpg

When did CA put the steady red law into effect?  None of these cars displayed a steady red, and the movie was released in 1985.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
attachicon.gif
Fletch2.jpg

Outside-in pattern.

attachicon.gif
Fletch3.jpg

attachicon.gif
Fletch4.jpg

attachicon.gif
Fletch5.jpg

When did CA put the steady red law into effect?  None of these cars displayed a steady red, and the movie was released in 1985.
California has had the steady-burn red requirement at least for more than 50 years.  I'm not sure about when the alternating rear amber came into effect or when they made the requirements concerning sound output on sirens.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
California has had the steady-burn red requirement at least for more than 50 years.  I'm not sure about when the alternating rear amber came into effect or when they made the requirements concerning sound output on sirens.
FYI

Rear amber is not required, just allowed and very common.

Steady red is a holdover from when that was cutting edge warning tech.  It still works too....  Most media, toys, models, art etc that depict CA emergency vehicles omit the steady red.  Or worse yet they use a bar with it, but never activate it for various filming or ignorance reasons.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
FYI

Rear amber is not required, just allowed and very common.

Steady red is a holdover from when that was cutting edge warning tech.  It still works too....  Most media, toys, models, art etc that depict CA emergency vehicles omit the steady red.  Or worse yet they use a bar with it, but never activate it for various filming or ignorance reasons.
I've always been told that the rear amber was a requirement, John.  There's a copy of a full-page ad from Trio in the January issue of the PCI newsletter, and it shows one of their "platters" with a center-mounted Super Chief, two single-faced red lights and single amber light in the rear.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I've always been told that the rear amber was a requirement, John.  There's a copy of a full-page ad from Trio in the January issue of the PCI newsletter, and it shows one of their "platters" with a center-mounted Super Chief, two single-faced red lights and single amber light in the rear.
I'm not sure what trio making a device with front steady red and rear flashing amber proves.  Various departments, agencies, studies, professional licensing bodies and local regulations required rear flashing amber; which is why many companies made their "CA" version with steady red front and rear amber. 

Word of mouth is a sinister game of telephone.  The entire CA vehicle code is available online.   There is a provision specifically allowing for it, not requiring it.  While the law does not, various departments, agencies, studies, professional licensing bodies and local regulations require it.  The two are seen together in CA so much it's become a standard practice for both end users and manufacturers. Really only the red is mandated by the law.

?p=526372

Front Steady red-Required minimum by law

Rear flashing amber-allowed by law, used by CHP, other agencies etc. 

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Speed (1994)

attachicon.gif
i089129.jpg

From the movie Swordfish (2001) another use of a clear light on a Aerodynic light bar.

attachicon.gif
92 crown vic.jpg

attachicon.gif
cap180wu0.218.jpg
post-22008-0-38533900-1421423102.jpg

I'm sure those guys' hearing in the Goodhew ambo was just fine after a run using the Q :lol:

post-22008-0-51197700-1421425030.jpg

post-22008-0-02201600-1421425046.jpg

The AeroDynic on the '92 CVPI in the Swordfish movie is also the same one used on a slightly newer CVPI in the Gone In 60 Seconds remake. I'd recognize that AeroDynic anywhere.

0:06 - 0:16, front to back...

Federal 11 TBR, Federal mechanical (can't tell model)

Federal 11 TBR w/ CP-25

Federal 184

Tripp Lite RF-6

Signal Stat 378s on, more than likely, a Signal Stat crossbar

Federal 11 TBR

Federal 12 TwinSonic

Federal 184

Federal 11 TBR

Federal 184

Federal 11 TBR w/ CP-25

Federal 12 Twinsonic

Federal 11 TBR w/ CP-25

No clue what the rest are.

0:21 - 0:23

Signal Stat 374

Federal 11 TBR

Federal 12X TwinSonic

Some beacon, no clue what kind

Whole mess of Model 11 TBRs for the rest of 'em

I know.......I'm a nerd when it comes to this opening scene. Lots of Mopar too!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
"Nothing But Trouble (1991)"  One of my favourite movies. :thumbsup:

OK, how many folks can ID these light bars?

BH6.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ohh no me and jazz like the same movie?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Gold.jpg

I love the Battenberg colours on this vehicle.

Gold2.jpg

Same unit, with the obligatory lights on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.