2016 Ford Interceptor Utility headlight flasher?

SlowKid

Jul 1, 2010
Topeka, KS
We just got in a shipment of 2016 Interceptor SUVs which obviously have a halogen bulb high beam now.  Has anyone installed a headlight flasher on one of these yet?  I called Whelen and they haven't received their 2016 to be able to test stuff out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cswroe

Apr 25, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Used Sound Off flasher on yesterday to test without without issue. It was not an isolated flasher which was what I was testing to check if it would throw a code.

SlowKid

Jul 1, 2010
Topeka, KS
Used Sound Off flasher on yesterday to test without without issue. It was not an isolated flasher which was what I was testing to check if it would throw a code.
Do you know what the part number is on the flasher that you used?

SlowKid

Jul 1, 2010
Topeka, KS
Thanks, but I was looking for stuff on the 2016 PI Utilities, which are different.

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
Thanks, but I was looking for stuff on the 2016 PI Utilities, which are different.
My point was to try and reach out to any of the members (or companies) that have existing products. Maybe ERM (who developed the FISOS module) has been working on something for the 2016 model. Was just meant to start pointing you in a direction, no complete answer/result.

Good luck, let us know how you make out!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
We looked at a 2016 yesterday and I'm pretty sure we will be using the standard ERM headlight flashers that we sell on it. Just a basic HLF setup

Reactions: Hoff

SlowKid

Jul 1, 2010
Topeka, KS
Thanks, everyone.  I was also assuming that a standard HLF would work, but I don't want to be the guy to order 20 flashers if they won't work.  We're already having to send back 20 push bumpers and sets of PAR36 lights because no one bothered to check part numbers and release that the 2016s are different than our 13s and 14s.  So that why I was brought in on this.  I'll see about getting a video and pictures once they get some built. 

Apr 14, 2011
PG county MD
I am playing with the 2016's now.   from what i see the HLF that was in the 15 now control's the 2 ions in the head lights.  the demo one we had came with factory HLF. i didnt get a chance to find out where this new flasher is but as soon as i do ill be the first one to let you guys know. 

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
The Federal Signal FHL-CHG works nicely.  I haven't installed one but I heard from a very large upfitter that it works well.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
That's basically the ETHFSS-SP-ISO from SounfOff.  SOS makes Fed Sig's flashers.

It flashes the headlights, but has anyone checked if the BCM is logging any codes of the headlight connection being severed?

Reactions: MEVS06

firedogg2

Nov 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
Has anyone found out anything further with this. I am getting ready to start 15  of these next week and I'm trying to determine the correct way to flash the headlights.

This is out of the Upfitter Guide:

Headlight and Tail Light Modifications

NOTICE: To prevent current spike damage to the Body Control Module (BCM), do not splice into any lighting circuits.

Has anyone performed this to the 2016 and have you found any issues with the BCM? I am going to be using a standard solid state flasher. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Casey 

SlowKid

Jul 1, 2010
Topeka, KS
My agency backed out on getting a HLF for these since they said there were too many unknowns.  Instead, we're getting a set of XT4s on the push bumper.  Yay.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Do not use a standard HLF. I have been speaking with one of the engineers with Ford and they said it could damage the BCM. When I asked them about using an isolated HLF, they said the BCM registers faults with the headlight system as the connection is severed when the HLF is activated.

I asked him more specifics than he was able to answer, so he is escalating my requests to the engineer who wrote the algorithm for the BCM.

I am working on it, but it usually takes a day or two for responses from them.

Tony

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
So, Ford reverts to the standard halogen headlights instead of the projector/single-filament style so that agencies could wig-wag them, then tells us not to splice any wires into it? Nice.
lol that was my thought

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So, Ford reverts to the standard halogen headlights instead of the projector/single-filament style so that agencies could wig-wag them, then tells us not to splice any wires into it?  Nice.

Actually, if you recall, they programmed the BCM to do a simple wig wag pattern.  The aftermarket flashers are what's the issue.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Actually, if you recall, they programmed the BCM to do a simple wig wag pattern.  The aftermarket flashers are what's the issue.
The issue is Ford programs the BCM to do a wig way pattern but gives installers no way to activate it. Then they tell us we can't put an aftermarket flasher in since it could damage the BCM. They need to do like Dodge, since we are not suppose to install an aftermarket flasher, and give us the BCM wig wag standard from the factory and not as an add on grouped in with a bunch of other lights. I have several departments requesting HLF's for their new vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada

They did?? On the 2015's or the 2016's?

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
2016's.  It's in the videos.  I was told you had to purchase that feature along with something else (can't remember what it was).  It's cheaper to add an aftermarket one.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
2016's.  It's in the videos.  I was told you had to purchase that feature along with something else (can't remember what it was).  It's cheaper to add an aftermarket one.

You have to purchase the Front Headlamp Lighting Solution option 66A. Which is the wig wags, the LEDs under the wig wags, and the White LEDs in the corners of the headlight. I've seen prices for the package as low as $797 and as high as $877.

Reactions: smokeeatertk28

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
SOOOOOOO...... Is this just a matter of installing the wiring or jumper in the breakout box that Ford usually has to activate it?  Or is it a matter of the wiring is all there, but the BCM is not programmed to use it unless that package is ordered?

Can it be programmed from a dealership, like Dark Car and others if it was not ordered at the time?

I am thinking that the wiring to the BCM maybe there, but you have to find the trip wiring to activate it, as the complete harness will not be there unless the package was not ordered.

And how much can it really mess up, like fry everything?  My current 2010 Explorer has a HLF and after each ignition cycle, the first time the high beams are turned on I get the "Check left high beam" and "Check right high beam" on the display.  Clear it and it does not come back on again until the car is restarted.  The 2004 Dodge Rams did the same thing.

I just really want a HLF on my new 2016 when I get it, but I know my department only ordered the front prep package, and not the lighting solution. 

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
My 2016 PI Utility has the factory HLF, wiring, and IONS in the headlights (no fog light or front marker warning).  It was an $850 option...  I mean, IONs are what, $98 each?  

20150914_150146.jpg

20150906_133418.jpg

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
My 2016 PI Utility has the factory HLF, wiring, and IONS in the headlights (no fog light or front marker warning).  It was an $850 option...  I mean, IONs are what, $98 each?  

View attachment 144904

View attachment 144905

You are paying for the headlights that accept ION's With ION's in it already and all the extra grille wiring for the $850.

I just ordered mine with Wiring grill/lamp/siren/spkrs $50 and ordered Front headlmp Housing only package $125 and just added my own Ion's in the headlights.

I've installed a SoundOff EAONE0-M headlight Flasher and it doesn't throw any codes when in use on mine,

IMG_9828.JPG

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
You are paying for the headlights that accept ION's With ION's in it already and all the extra grille wiring for the $850.

I just ordered mine with Wiring grill/lamp/siren/spkrs $50 and ordered Front headlmp Housing only package $125 and just added my own Ion's in the headlights.

I've installed a SoundOff EAONE0-M headlight Flasher and it doesn't throw any codes when in use on mine,

View attachment 145066

This looks awesome! You should post a thread in the install section. 

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Well, found out today from SoundOff that their standard HLF (ETHFSS-SP) is what they recommended for this vehicle.  They state that the isolated version is not needed and currently does not appear to conflict with the BCM.  Thought I'd pass that info along.

Tony

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas

View attachment 145066

when you say you just added your own IONS in the headlights can you explain this further? Pictures would be great. Does Ford just leave a pocket with pre-drilled holes for the ION's or what? Thanks

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
:dielaugh: That was a good one.  :lol:

Well that is what people seem to be saying. So i'm trying to find out. I have seen Federal signal placed in the headlights already so I'm curious to see pictures... Also if they come from the factory are they ran off the Ford WARN flashers or synced together using their internal flashers?

cswroe

Apr 25, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Well that is what people seem to be saying. So i'm trying to find out. I have seen Federal signal placed in the headlights already so I'm curious to see pictures... Also if they come from the factory are they ran off the Ford WARN flashers or synced together using their internal flashers?
Here is a video I did awhile back to send to another installer:

Reactions: RL1

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
@‌CSWORE Great video that gives me a much better idea. It looks like those pre drilled holes would match a Whelen ION? If you order the full headlight solution is a Whelen ION already installed there?

@‌ERM doesn't that look like pre-drilled holes for an ION to you???

:dielaugh: That was a good one.  :lol:

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
It does, but my comment was based on a standard package Explorer, which is what I thought you had.  Ford's history is to not give you something that would not make them money, or else, everyone would just order the standard headlights and do it themselves.

Did you order the predrilled holes like they did?  What I thought was funny was the question of did they give you something for nothing.  They never do.  Don't take any offense by it.  We all make jokes on here.

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
It does, but my comment was based on a standard package Explorer, which is what I thought you had.  Ford's history is to not give you something that would not make them money, or else, everyone would just order the standard headlights and do it themselves.

Did you order the predrilled holes like they did?  What I thought was funny was the question of did they give you something for nothing.  They never do.  Don't take any offense by it.  We all make jokes on here.

@ERM LoL no offense taken kind sir. I actually don't have one yet just preparing for upcoming installs for my department. I looked at one today and it is the ION if you get the Headlight solution package. Now I'm curious of what light is in the new fog light area. And if it is a functional fog light when it is not in warning mode. Can anyone comment on what light that is. I'm gussing it is a whelen vertex

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
FWIW, I talked to Sound Off today and they recommended the ETHFSS-SP for the 2016 Pursuit Utility.

Echo...echo...echo... :D

Well, found out today from SoundOff that their standard HLF (ETHFSS-SP) is what they recommended for this vehicle.  They state that the isolated version is not needed and currently does not appear to conflict with the BCM.  Thought I'd pass that info along.

Tony

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.