2016 Ford Interceptor Utility headlight flasher?

roaddawg7

Apr 7, 2013
Linden, VA
ford does not recommend the use of a headlight flasher, several depts. in the area have the new utilities and go with more grill lights or leds where the fog lights go. You will also burn them up faster as i've seem it done for ones who tried  

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
ford does not recommend the use of a headlight flasher, several depts. in the area have the new utilities and go with more grill lights or leds where the fog lights go. You will also burn them up faster as i've seem it done for ones who tried  

Manufacturer's usually do not recommend using a headlight flasher. A headlight flasher, IMO, still trumps the extra lights, no matter how many extra you have; especially with the extra lights being down in the fog light area. Bulbs will always burn up faster when using a headlight flasher, that's a given. Even with how bright LED's are today, departments still request headlight flasher because they work just as well if not better than a bunch of LEDs lights. Their is a reason Ford brought back regular halogen bulbs for high beams, it was because so many departments requested they bring back the option to have wig wags, the problem is Ford decided to group their factory option in with the front lighting package and most departments don't have the money for it and/or don't want all the lights in that package.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

In general or on these?  To date, I have yet to replace a high beam bulb due to a headlight flasher.  In fact, I have yet to replace a high beam bulb.

Plus, in the video, Ford is flashing their headlights, so I call BS on that disclaimer.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I have a fleet of about 170 vehicles and I don't see a higher failure rate on cars with wig wag over ones that dont have. I do not have wig wags on our utility's and don't plan on installing them on our 2016's that get delivered next week. Our officers don't miss headlight flasher and like what we have done better. I'm not against wig wags I think they are great but, they are expensive to order on the utility and I don't want to battle the dealer over warranty of a BCM if it goes bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

roaddawg7

Apr 7, 2013
Linden, VA
ford does it in general, but like the one response said, its just the aftermarket install that they are worried about. If you order the vehs with the separate wiring they have for it, your ok. I know several people from ford and they seem to say one thing, then another as things change.

jmr061

May 4, 2014
Wisconsin
I can answer how the OEM headlight flasher works based on the factory service manual. They use a simple flasher that splices into each hi beam headlamp circuit and backfeeds the bcm.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I can answer how the OEM headlight flasher works based on the factory service manual. They use a simple flasher that splices into each hi beam headlamp circuit and backfeeds the bcm.

Splices into each or do you have to sever the passenger's side connection?  Ford usually pairs both headlights on one output.  Chevy separates the left and right.  Did they change it this year?

jmr061

May 4, 2014
Wisconsin
See attached Pics - Notice "Police" Splice in the headlight diagrams.

16 Utility RH.png

Attachments

• 16 Utility LH.png
    16 Utility LH.png
    51 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:

jmr061

May 4, 2014
Wisconsin
Also learned that installing wig wag headlights in a 16 Utility even if done the same way the factory does will cause the BCM to throw DTCs for each hi beam headlight circuit (open or short DTC). It appears that ones ordered from the factory may have coding in the BCM to ignore the checking of that.

jmr061

May 4, 2014
Wisconsin
I don't do installs (but am familiar with installing lights, etc). I do other type of work on the Ford vehicles and the headlight flashers and tail light flashers are causing DTCs to be set. One place even has had the BCM lock up due to a constant short with something (not sure if it related to the flashers or not) and now the BCM should be replaced.

I sent an email to the Public Safety Vehicle lead at Ford to see what his take on it but I know sometimes it takes weeks to get a reply from him.

And yes Sound Off Flashers meant for the vehicle....both headlight and rear lights (traffic backer).

Last edited:

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
What does DTC stand for? Do the error messages tell you where the problem is (front or rear)? Why are you getting a short? The only thing the SOS flashers will do is backfeed +12 volts on the headlights. The TLF is isolated with diodes, so nothing going back to the BCM. Without knowing exactly what is being done or where wires are spliced in, it's harder to come up with a solution.

Tony

jmr061

May 4, 2014
Wisconsin
DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code. I am simply advising of what installing these flashers are doing. The codes are for a short or open condition. As I stated I don't know if the BCM lock was caused by the flashers or something else that particular installer did. If you want me to get more specific the BCM has a counter for most of the circuits. If it detects a short or over amperage draw so many times it will throw the lock code and shut that particular output down for good. The issue has to then be corrected and the BCM replaced. We could not determine what circuit was locked out. All the lights appeared functional. I wasn't going to dive into it that much since I wasn't there to solve that issue.

jmr061

May 4, 2014
Wisconsin
And I should add that an installer I have contact with who has access to the Ford software also checked a couple of 16 Utilities they installed headlamp flashers in and they those vehicles are throwing the same DTCs for the headlamps.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
So I guess Soundoff Changed it and made it an isolation flasher.

http://www.soundoffsignal.com/flasher/documents/ETHFSS-FV.pdf

They even have a bracket and install sheet for the 2016+. Funny thing is that when you search for the flasher look up, it still gives you the other one.

The only thing that gets me is why is it saying that the headlights can not be on? It is a separate bulb, so what should it matter?

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Has anyone else seen this problem that has installed the ETHFSS-SP?

JMR, what flasher were you using?

I was running that flasher for about 6 months. Never had an issue. But my fuse black started melting at the metal posts. But that is not related to that at all.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Here is a video I did awhile back to send to another installer:

Slightly off topic, but...
Any idea exactly how much room is in this pocket? I know the ion is 4" wide is there any wiggle room for width without modifying the headlight? Trying to get an idea of what light heads can be put in there with that headlight option.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Slightly off topic, but...
Any idea exactly how much room is in this pocket? I know the ion is 4" wide is there any wiggle room for width without modifying the headlight? Trying to get an idea of what light heads can be put in there with that headlight option.

My upfitter installs an ION in that receptacle

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I know that it was designed for the ion, being that it's was goes in there from the factory. But I'm curious what other lightheads would fit in that spot. cswroe put a tomar rect-13 in that spot in the video. It would open up a lot of possibilities to be able to put different lightheads in there if you don't want ions there.

cswroe

Apr 25, 2012
Northwest Indiana
There is quite a bit of room in there. The biggest issue is getting something other than the Ion to mount correctly and the right angle. The Rect was not too difficult, Impaxx would probably be impossible.

We have ordered our latest without that option though. It is not terribly pricey option, but have gone with a surface mount SOS intersector to replace that light at the 45 degree corner.

Reactions: bullfrog4ever

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
True, having to make a new bracket would suck. But if there's a bit of room, that helps. Hopefully I'll get to see one up close at some point soon! Thanks!!

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
There is quite a bit of room in there. The biggest issue is getting something other than the Ion to mount correctly and the right angle. The Rect was not too difficult, Impaxx would probably be impossible.

We have ordered our latest without that option though. It is not terribly pricey option, but have gone with a surface mount SOS intersector to replace that light at the 45 degree corner.

Any reason to think a Feniex Fusion with the swivel bracket won't fit in there?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Any reason to think a Feniex Fusion with the swivel bracket won't fit in there?

Not sure if the Fusion would fit in there and it would be a pain trying to secure the rotating bracket. A flat metal piece would have to be used to secure it to the factory Ford mount but I'm not sure it would be too long or not. I've always use a T3, they fit in there nicely and sit at the same angle of the ions, cheaper than the Fusions, and look great. Different screws are required and drilling a couple holes for the screws. With the way I mount them the rear screw will pop out behind the indented square part of the mount, so a little sealant is needed, but this way a custom bracket isn't needed to make them work.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
From the looks of it the fusion rotating bracket would stand-off the light the same as your 2 bolts with nuts and washers, no?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
If you are using the rotating bracket to act like the nuts in the video then no. Even at it's moving the bracket in as far in as possible it would still stick out more than the one in the video. Especially since the piece where the Fusion mounts to is a U shape so it would stick out farther yet. Now you could use the rotating bracket, but you would have to drill new holes lower and cut the ends down a little. If you did that then their might be a chance it could work, my only worry would still be the length of the light. The rec-13's are only 3.75" long and the ions are 4". The fusion are 5 1/4" and the rotating bracket is 5.5" without the screws, almost 6 with.

Apr 14, 2011
PG county MD
locate the 12 pin connector located under the passenger side headlight. it has a bunch of white pins with a yellow and green wire in a loop from pin 11 to pin 12.

pin 1 - 12+ trigger from 14 pin in center console
pin 2 - Left Headlight
Pin 3 - Right Headlight
pin 4 - N/A
Pin 5 - 12+ Power from ignition
pin 6 - Pattern Change 12+
pin 7- N/A
Pin 8 - Ground
Pin 9 - N/A
pin 10 - N/A
Pin 11 - Looped to Pin 12 - This power extra 4 port terminals on driver and passenger side used for the PTW flashers
Pin 12 - Looped to pin 11

Enjoy :);):cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.