06 Ford F450 radio install.

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
We installed 8 radios that are set up as scanners. As with all my other wrecker installs they need all those radio to know where the wrecks are, Harris county doesn't use a rotation wrecker system. Ok back to the install info this truck features one of our custom radio consoles and it is our first one that we have hidden 5 speakers in the headliner. You can hear the speakers crystal clear, the other speakers are in the kick panels and one in the center. It has 2 switches that turn on the radios, there is one fuse block tied to each switch. aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_01_rahuzevy.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_01_atanydu6.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_01_6a8ugatu.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_01_jetujepy.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_01_u3ahyvav.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_01_pusyhuma.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_01_pe6ute9u.jpg

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Console doesn't appear straight, and all that exposed wiring needs some work. The positive stud on those less-than-stellar fuse blocks is completely exposed. Hope nothing ever gets back there...

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
The fuse blocks post have rubber caps on the postive posts. The exposed wire is the slack so the radios can be pulled out, due to the way I made the console that little bit of wire had to be exposed. I much rather have a little wire showing in a inconspicuous area to service a radio then no slack at all. Ya the console is slightly crooked, I noticed after the customer was there to pick it up he was fine with it so I let it roll. Everyone that knows me and how I do my install i am normally very picky about how my install job is. The fuse blocks are necessary to protect the radios from shorts, you can't just have the single main fuse to protect all those radios. The fuse blocks also allow easy swap out of a radio if needed.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Like the speakers in the headliner. What speakers did you use? And did you have to do anything to the headliner inorder to have the sound travel through.

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
I use the jetstream jtsp 7, for the headliner mount I just used the speaker cone. When I flush mount them I use the speaker cone and front grill. On the headliner you have basically three layers, the paper, the foam and then the actual headliner. So what I did is cut the paper layer to the exact size of the speaker and then remove the foam layer. On that headliner it had some support under the foam layer so its not just hanging by the cloth layer.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
wouldnt a bunch of scanners be cheaper/ more economical? if they arent transmitting then theres no reason to have a radio. a bunch of bc350a's would make a nice console, better squelch set, and a smaller footprint/ amp draw:confused:

+1 on the exposed wire. if it can be stepped on, it will.

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
your right scanners may be cheaper depending on the situation however they do not hold upto the vibration a tow truck creates have the same quality audio as a two way radio or the same flexibilty or ease of repair for instance if the driver has a radio go down he can swap his spare in and be back in business in 10 mins with a scanner he needs to swap it in then reprogram it cause a spare two way radio will hold programming unplugged on a closet shelf a spare scanner won't.

RES347CUE

Nov 7, 2010
NASSAU COUNTY N.Y.
And half the amount of equipment a scanner could do tri- band high / low , VHF / UHF even 800mhz overkill in my opinion and the install isn't all that clean

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
You would have to be in this area to understand that scanners will not work for these trucks on the police channels. They might work for ems use or dps these radios are set up like scanners and they cost them half the price of what kind of scanner they would need to listen half decent. The radios are set to one channel each, they can't scan multiple channels as they could miss a wrecker call. Go look up Harris county sheriffs department on radio reference and then you will see how many channels there is in my area. The customer wanted all his radios up front so he could adjust the volume on a radio if he heard something interesting. If it would have been my choice I would have put the 3 radios hanging off the side under the back seat. I had to custom make this radio mount from scratch I thought i had planned for enough room to hide all the wires. My customer was very happy with the job I have done on his truck so when they are happy I'm happy.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Don't get me wrong. Customer is always right. But 1 scanner would scan those 8 channels just as fast as if it was locked on. I can scan 700 channels in 10 seconds.

As far as them not holding memory that is false. The bc350a does have a mem lock feature. My 433 has a memlock feature. I had that unplugged for a year, wired it back it and ready to go.

As far as vibration I think that's being defensive. A mobile radio will hold up just as well as a mobile scanner. I used to build DOT snowplow trucks. If you want vibration, ride in one of those for 12+ hours.

I like the console that was certainly a puzzle piece job. And they all fit together perfectly. Also like the speakers hidden. I may do that in my own vehichle.

I know the customer is right, but I don't see where $2000 worth of radios works better than one $400 scanner. Shoot put 4 of them in and save the Guy $400.

:twocents:

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
Those radios they get are use, in the previous post I said they pay $250 per radio. Your just going to have to trust me the truck is set up to the best way possible for these guys. This is one of those things you have you have to be in my area to understand why its done this way. Go look at my other wrecker installs they are set up the same way this isn't the only one like this.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
txff914 said:
Those radios they get are use, in the previous post I said they pay $250 per radio. Your just going to have to trust me the truck is set up to the best way possible for these guys. This is one of those things you have you have to be in my area to understand why its done this way. Go look at my other wrecker installs they are set up the same way this isn't the only one like this.

I 100% believe you've set up other wreckers like that one. Question is... How do other local installers set up their wreckers?

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
i feel ya bro only a fellow wrecker driver will understand. just like police fire or ems you need to do our job to understand.

txff914 said:
They do the same set up but do a real crapy install job. They use just one main fuse instead of fuseing each radio, running wires through the fire wall unprotected. That's just a few things I've I can think of off the top of my head.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
it looks like Harris County uses a Type 2 Trunked system makes sense using the MCS2000 they are usually cheap

the whole No rotation list things makes it a real nightmare

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
kitn1mcc said:
it looks like Harris County uses a Type 2 Trunked system makes sense using the MCS2000 they are usually cheap

the whole No rotation list things makes it a real nightmare

Ya you could have up to 10 or more wreckers show up before the officer on scene says no more wreckers on the radio.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
txff914 said:
Ya you could have up to 10 or more wreckers show up before the officer on scene says no more wreckers on the radio.

The last time I was in Harris County, the wreckers that made it to the scene, before the officer said no more, would throw their chit/token in a hat, the hat was shaken up, and then the chit/token drawn would get the tow. Immediate knowledge of a request for a wrecker and a speedy response was needed by a driver just to be able to get to the scene to throw a chit/token into the hat.

Is it still the same?

Last edited by a moderator:

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
For all of those who keep saying that scanners are the answers, there are times that they aren't. The radios are far more sensitive than the scanners are, and depending on the radio system, they can be configured to match the radio system easier than the scanners can.

Also, the scanner's scan rate has little to do with how well it would do in this situation. The scanner can easily get locked on a transmission that keeps it locked up, even if just for a few seconds, causing the wrecker operator to miss a transmission that he's riding around waiting to hear.

Many wrecker services are running multiple radios, and those with a radio background understand the importance of this.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Travelin Man said:
For all of those who keep saying that scanners are the answers, there are times that they aren't. The radios are far more sensitive than the scanners are, and depending on the radio system, they can be configured to match the radio system easier than the scanners can.

Also, the scanner's scan rate has little to do with how well it would do in this situation. The scanner can easily get locked on a transmission that keeps it locked up, even if just for a few seconds, causing the wrecker operator to miss a transmission that he's riding around waiting to hear.

Many wrecker services are running multiple radios, and those with a radio background understand the importance of this.

And on top of that, who cares! This kind of stuff usually grinds my gears, and if I don't have anything nice to say, I shut my mouth. It's like when someone uses Feniex on a vehicle and Joe Smoh says "Whelen makes better lights!" or "I would put the Kenwood on top of the Motorola instead". Who cares as long as it gets the job done and you're not paying for it, or it doesn't effect operation. If you would rather have 6 scanners instead of 6 radios without mics, great, but quit filling these threads with preferences. It's not your install, so offer decent/relevant advice, because I'm pretty sure the owners aren't gonna sell these for scanners at the time!!

:Banghead:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.