`08 Subaru Outback HLF Question

Veinside

Dec 31, 2012
NH
Does anyone have experience installing a HLF on a Subaru with daytime Running Lights? I am looking to install a HLF on my Outback but I am having a difficult time finding a flasher that will work with the DRL of the high beams on the negative switched system without breaking the bank... Right now I'm looking at the Whelen UTF2150A. I don't know enough of the system to know if the flasher would work fine with the DRL disabled. I suppose I could use the system with low beams, though I am trying to avoid that.

Any suggestions for lighting would be appreciated-no exterior or interior light bars that break the bank. I currently have an Axixtech Xtreme Micromax II dash light mounted and have plans for a TLF (I'm assuming you cannot use a HLF for taillights?). I can use Red and Clear lights virtually unrestricted.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
While there is no official rule on bumping threads outside of the classified sections, please keep in mind that it is generall frowned upon on most forum based websites.

As far as your question goes... are the high-beams positive or ground side switched? Are they a seperate bulb or part of a multi-filiment single housing bulb?

A quick search of similar topics will yeild results on general compability of different flashers with positive vs. ground side switching and other considerations.

Veinside

Dec 31, 2012
NH
The high beams are ground-side switched and are 9005 single filament bulbs- separate from the low beams. I am not asking if a ground switched HLF would work for the set up, rather whether or not I will have problems with the daytime running lights system. There is a way to disable the system by removing a cable connector from the module and all other functions remain intact. I am, however, unsure if the situation is just a standard ground switched installation. The DRL system is said to power the high beams using low power unless the low beams are switched on.

Thank you for your response.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Ok, now that we have some additional information we can work with it. Thank you for being understanding and providing detailed and accurate answers to my questions so far.

I have no direct experience with HLFs on Subarus or really with Subarus in general. That being said, with my 2011 CV, I had to take it to a Ford dealership to get them to override the DRL feature in the computer as there was no "good" way to remove it by cutting a wire. I would consult with a Subaru service center. Let them know what you want to do and ask them the best way to do it. If the guy you talk to first doesn't give you a satisfactory answer, ask again and again at higher technical levels until you get a good answer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.