10 Output Customizable Sequence Flasher UPDATE 12/10/13

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
In response to a member's inquiry, I have designed and prototyped a flasher that drives up to 10 LED or halogen light heads and can be customized by simple jumper settings to produce the user's choice of sequential patterns.

Of particular interest to ELB enthusiasts, this flasher can drive an 8 or 10 light array to produce sequences that replicate the flash patterns of the classic Federal Aerodynic synchronized rotator lightbars. As far as I know, there is no other flasher available with this functionality. I am pleased to initially offer this product on a small scale production basis to the ELB community.

Demo video and further details will be forthcoming....

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yes, yes.... pictures, videos, specs are a must!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Quick demo of flasher patterns on an MX7000 Traffic Advisor. Sorry about the lousy video production, but I think you'll like the patterns.

"Phi" and "Burst" are standard Aerodynic 8-rotator patterns. The rest are just me playing around.

Next up, 10-light patterns....

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
Do you have a spec sheet? Can it be programmed what channels alternate?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Thanks for your interest in this new product!

To answer some questions, the flasher operates by continuously cycling through a 10-step sequence. By setting jumpers, each output (or a pair or outputs) can be set to activate at any step in the sequence. The flasher can produce left-right, right-left, in-out, and out-in patterns, as shown in the first diagram below, as well as a variety of alternating patterns.

The flasher also has the unique capability of simulating synchronized rotator flash patterns, such as those of the classic Federal Signal Aerodynic lightbar. If you're wondering why the steps are numbered 0 through 18, it's because those numbers correspond to the gear positions on Aerodynic rotators.

For example, the Aerodynic "Burst" pattern is created by setting the rotators to: 8, 0, 6, 2, 4, 4, 2, 6, 0, 8. To replicate this pattern with the flasher, you would jumper Outputs 1 and 10 to Step 8, Outputs 2 and 9 to step 0, etc., as shown in the second diagram.

I hope that helps, and please ask if you have more questions.

Specifications:

Operating voltage : 12V DC.

Outputs: 10, negative switched, maximum 2.5A per output.

Cycle rate: 60-180 cycles/minute, adjustable.

Completely solid state, silent operation.

Supplied as an unenclosed circuit board (3.8 x 2.5") with 12" leads for connection.

I'm planning a small production run in the next 6 weeks. The introductory price will be $75. PM me if you're interested in ordering!

flasher patterns.gif

flasher burst pattern.gif

Reactions: JohnMarcson

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
video is unavailable for me, anyone else?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
working for me now.

I like it.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I like it so far.... will be keeping my eye on this

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Those are some really awesome patterns on the TA! I think it kinda gives an extra punch to basic halogen TAs, and I think some of these would look killer as response patterns.

Will you be able to hook it up and make demo videos using other types of blinkies? I'm dying to see it with LEDs!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
pdk9 said:
Will you be able to hook it up and make demo videos using other types of blinkies? I'm dying to see it with LEDs!

Sure thing, Just give me a few days to find that box of Cuda heads.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
I'll carry them on SirenWorld if you PM me, we can work out the details!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The first production run of Sequential Flashers (Model FL01) is now available!

Specifications:

Operating voltage : 12 VDC.

Outputs: 10, negative switched, maximum 3 A per output.

Cycle rate: aprrox. 60-180 cycles/minute, adjustable.

Supplied as an unenclosed circuit board (3.75 x 2.5") with 12" leads for connection.

Optional enclosure (4 x 4 x 1.5") available.

Introductory price: $75 (enclosed version, $80) plus actual USPS shipping.

Please ask any questions, and PM me if you'd like to purchase.

Here's a new video demo with a 10-head halogen TA bar:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Very cool!! I don't know what else to compare the pricing to, as I do not know much about other flashers. I do know this is a custom project, and I hope it work out for you.

Maybe someone else can weigh in on cost?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
MtnMan said:
The first production run of Sequential Flashers (Model FL01) is now available!

Specifications:

Operating voltage : 12 VDC.

Outputs: 10, negative switched, maximum 3 A per output.

Cycle rate: aprrox. 60-180 cycles/minute, adjustable.

Supplied as an unenclosed circuit board (3.75 x 2.5") with 12" leads for connection.

Optional enclosure (4 x 4 x 1.5") available.

Introductory price: $75 (enclosed version, $80) plus actual USPS shipping.

Please ask any questions, and PM me if you'd like to purchase.

Here's a new video demo with a 10-head halogen TA bar:

This is awesome, I must get one of these.... soooo many ideas...

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Was it just me or was there no left on the units display. I watched it twice.

Was cool though.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Would love to see a demo of this on an LED bar, to see how the patterns look with the instant on and off of an LED versus the halogen on and off!

Also this is just a flasher that you could assign a different pattern to, not something with multi-function capability, i.e. cannot hook it up to a bar and expect to be able to use it as a traffic arrow, push different buttons and get the arrow patterns, and also have a warning function, right?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
SireLite said:
Why have i not seen this topic? Love the music on the video.

Have you got a picture of what the flasher looks like.

Hey, sexy flash patterns need a good soft-core soundtrack. :yes:

Here's a quick phone snap of the flasher module. Not so great pic, but you can see the output transistors and heat sinks along the edges of the board, jumpers for pattern setting, and the trim pot for speed adjustment:

1011131303.jpg

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
chief1565 said:
Was it just me or was there no left on the units display. I watched it twice.
Was cool though.

The flasher is user-programmable for about 500 million possible patterns, so I'm only showing a small selection.

To be clear, this is not a conventional traffic advisor controller. It is a customizable flasher that can produce the user's choice of pattern, but a present, it can only be programmed for one pattern at a time.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Would love to see a demo of this on an LED bar, to see how the patterns look with the instant on and off of an LED versus the halogen on and off!

Also this is just a flasher that you could assign a different pattern to, not something with multi-function capability, i.e. cannot hook it up to a bar and expect to be able to use it as a traffic arrow, push different buttons and get the arrow patterns, and also have a warning function, right?

I'll shoot a video with LEDs, as long as you promise not to laugh at my homemade LED bar.

You are correct that the flasher can be programmed (via jumpers) for one pattern at a time. This project was originally inspired by the concept of setting a synchronized rotator bar (e.g., Aerodynic) to produce a particular pattern. From the design perspective, it's the classic trade-off between versatility (lots of patterns) and usability (ease of selection). I'm thinking about a version that would allow pattern switching on the fly, but that's going to take some advanced development.

Operators are standing by to take your orders!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Let me add that the Sequential Flasher can also be "piggybacked" onto an existing TA controller setup, so that you can use all the original TA functions, plus additional custom patterns.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MtnMan said:
Let me add that the Sequential Flasher can also be "piggybacked" onto an existing TA controller setup, so that you can use all the original TA functions, plus additional custom patterns.

I did think of that, and sent you a Pm regarding one specific pattern!!!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Another demo video, using LED lightheads and showing some new patterns.

Price $75, now offering free shipping to US addresses!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
any update on this? Also any chance you could program the flashers to cause the led's to "ramp up" and "ramp down" like a halogen light would?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I think if you can make this have multiple inputs IE Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Center out, Primary Warn and Secondary Warn... So 5 different triggers... This would be the "Cats Meoh." If we can only select one pattern at a time, its great for warning but hard to incorporate the TA.

Just my 0.02...

Love the patterns!

Seth

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
unlisted said:
any update on this? Also any chance you could program the flashers to cause the led's to "ramp up" and "ramp down" like a halogen light would?

The only update is that I have several units ready for immediate sale, and probably won't be building more.

The ramp up/down feature is a neat idea. It would be more complicated (e.g., pulse width modulation technology), so stay tuned, but it won't happen overnight.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
C17LVFD said:
I think if you can make this have multiple inputs IE Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Center out, Primary Warn and Secondary Warn... So 5 different triggers... This would be the "Cats Meoh." If we can only select one pattern at a time, its great for warning but hard to incorporate the TA.

You're right, and I've been thinking about something along those lines, using microprocessor control.

MX7000Guy

Jun 2, 2010
Middle of nowhere, VT
So any updates? This looks phenomenal on the halogen bar, but like unlisted said it needs the prior and future modules activated at 1/2 power to look better with LEDs. Maybe even have one further prior and future module at 25% power. Would require PWM but if you're looking into microprocessor control for different modes you should be along the right track.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.