'12 Impala...

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Why wouldn't they just remove the passenger seat? It's got a printer for a headrest! You could have a handy metal box with organizer slots and storage cubbies instead of an unused seat.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
What's the complete list of lighting you got?

I see a Libby and a pair of linz6 in the grill, and I'm guessing that there's a HLF, TLF or HAWs in the rear, and something on the rear deck?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I like the location of the siren and radio. It looks very 'old school'.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
pdk9- There is a linz6 on each side of the cage for side lighting, a pair of linz6's on a license plate bracket for the rear, a dual talon in the center of the package shelf, for lighting when the trunks open. A Whelen HLF, and tail light flasher.

Duncanville1- Yes, just a common car alarm, everyone with an issued rifle gets an alarm.

philyumpshus- They'd never pull the seats, then they'd have to store them somewhere, and most still need to be able to accept a rider on occasion. I've got enough seniority, I've earned my solitude. Plus I built the printer stand out of 3/8 rod to plug in the headrest. Something I did years ago, however some company sells a similar set up now. Guess I should of got a patent.

Bonnano- I've been in Impala's since '03, when I finally escaped my Lumina. I'm used to them, and the lack of room, however this years HP boost is amazing, the car flys low. I can actually catch most violators now.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Gotta say, install and console looks nice. But get rid of all that clutter on the passenger seat, will be hell of a mess when you crash, plus don't you have a trunk? The printer looks like it could have been install in the console aft of the radio, if not maybe a smaller printer especially these days with how small they come.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I had an 07 as a take home and really like it. Could keep up with the CVPI's in town (and beat a few of them), the interior room wasn't bad since I'm a small guy, and I liked having one of only 2 non-CVPI's at the time. I went to an 09 pool Impala at a university and suddenly understood where the bad rap comes from...

The new models have the same engine as the V-6 Camaro, correct? And have a higher suspension? Lastly, what are the two buttons on the steering wheel next to the cruse control?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Nice unit, I did an install on five last March. All are ghost units and they can get up and go. Not enough room for my taste seeing as I'm 6'3" 300+ lbs Sooo...

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
ff168577 said:
Cloth driver seat and leather passenger seat?

Might be vinyl, which would explain why they deliberately made it impossible to sit in. A vinyl seat without anything on it looks like it's alright to sit down in... and then you sit on it. ai.somethingawful.com_forumsystem_emoticons_emot_supaburn.gif So they covered it with a bunch of cop stuff to make sure that wouldn't happen.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It's still a cloth seat, the back and sides are vinyl in the package I believe. I don't think there are two buttons next to the cruise, I think it's just the steering column.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Flashguy said:
The V6 is the biggest engine you can get? The caprice cars have a V8 right?

Yes. The biggest engine in the Impala is a 6-banger. The Caprice is available with either a 6 or 8.

Nice sled and setup Patrol530!!

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
The two buttons by the cruise control is the paddle shifter. If you set the column shift to (L), it activates the switches for manual shifting. The engine redlines at 6500.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
patrol530 said:
The two buttons by the cruise control is the paddle shifter. If you set the column shift to (L), it activates the switches for manual shifting. The engine redlines at 6500.

Just like a Ferrari ... :cool:

Office, priting room.... where is the cafeteria ? :crackup:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I've never been a fan of the limited space of impalas, but u got a nice setup and I loved the idea of how the printer was mounted.

I would definitely add a pair of solid blue/solid red linz6 to the side of the push bumper though, and maybe I would add a Dual R/B Viper or Avenger to the dash for something midlevel

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Sharp looking car. I'm not a big fan of the Impala but that one should be a little bit easier to deal with with the bigger motor.

I'm also not a fan off all blue lighting. I feel that LE rides should have a mix of red and blue. Red is much more visible during the day than blue. Hopefully there is some amber to the rear.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
acala91 said:
I'm also not a fan off all blue lighting. I feel that LE rides should have a mix of red and blue. Red is much more visible during the day than blue. Hopefully there is some amber to the rear.

Saw a Prince William County police car running hot this afternoon, with a red/blue Freedom: B-td-B-B-R-R-td-R in front, R-B-R-=-=-B-R-B in back. From a long distance, the mixed colors in back didn't look purple at all... just three red lights is all. Even with a Freedom, which isn't dim by anyone's standards.

mjberryjr

Nov 18, 2011
Northfield, CT
I loved my 07 Impala I'm not a Cop but I have to say if I was I would want one. I loved the horse power it had and I thought it was a cumfy car. It must be annoying to try and change the station on the stereo though with that laptop there. That's a nice set up.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I've only known Impala's for LE until my current assignment... now we have libertys, escapes, and equinoxs. You guys want to talk about a lack of space and officer safety. GSA really sucks here at this base. So for me the two impalas the squadron has are the best cars.

OP I like the set up. Maybe a linz6 on the side of the push bumper as previously stated. I also agree that the '12 is better than prior models. I could definatly tell the difference in HP between my 07 K9 impala and the new 12 that the unit just got.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
I've only known Impala's for LE until my current assignment... now we have libertys, escapes, and equinoxs. You guys want to talk about a lack of space and officer safety. GSA really sucks here at this base. So for me the two impalas the squadron has are the best cars.

OP I like the set up. Maybe a linz6 on the side of the push bumper as previously stated. I also agree that the '12 is better than prior models. I could definatly tell the difference in HP between my 07 K9 impala and the new 12 that the unit just got.

At least you don't have traverses like us

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
nerdly_dood said:
Saw a Prince William County police car running hot this afternoon, with a red/blue Freedom: B-td-B-B-R-R-td-R in front, R-B-R-=-=-B-R-B in back. From a long distance, the mixed colors in back didn't look purple at all... just three red lights is all. Even with a Freedom, which isn't dim by anyone's standards.

That is the case with any blue light in the bright sun. My local Sheriff's office runs all blue Freedoms with one Amber module to the rear and from a distance all you can see is the amber. A local PD has Code3 2100 bars on their new cars half red half blue, and from a distance all you can see is the red.

If an agency is going to run all blue they need a lot of amber to the rear.

1345070093039.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.