17-S ?

Maxim2Eng

Premium Member
Lifetime VIP Donor
Here’s a puzzler…
This 17-S is listed on FleeBay with a tag that reads 7C25K3 (Sep ‘53) for the serial number and what appears to say 12 A.C. For the voltage. It is quite crusty and appears to have been possibly mounted on the exterior of a building. I’m guessing the S stands for stanchion mount?
What say you @stansdds ?

IMG_1068.jpegIMG_1067.jpeg

Here’s a puzzler…
This 17-S is listed on FleeBay with a tag that reads 7C25K3 (Sep ‘53) for the serial number and what appears to say 12 A.C. For the voltage. It is quite crusty and appears to have been possibly mounted on the exterior of a building. I’m guessing the S stands for stanchion mount?
What say you @stansdds ?

View attachment 245277View attachment 245278
This beacon was listed on eBay many months ago, I started to bid on it and then it was removed from bidding. I looked this morning and I don't see it on eBay. Was it recently relisted? Federal generally used the letter "S" in model designations to indicate it was set up for AC instead of DC. The really interesting thing is the 12 AC voltage. I do not recall anything that runs on 12 volts AC.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng
I leave the internet for a few days and this pops up. I believe @stansdds is correct, if this is what I think it is I know or more accurately knew who the previous owner was. This piqued my interest so I will reach out and see if I can get an answer.

Unfortunately I am not getting a response, so take what I say next with a grain of salt.

However.. I am 95% certain this light came from an estate of an acquaintance of mine which passed relatively recently. If I remember correctly this light was mounted hanging upside down from a pillar or post at a steel foundry. The light was in use when hazards were present in the bay.

@Stampeed Valkyrie thanks for the info. The listing had more pictures of the mounting bracket…that’s why I assumed it was mounted to a wall/building. I recall a VFD in metro Louisville (50+ years ago) had a 17 mounted on the fire station to alert passing vehicles that apparatus were about to enter traffic. It was not mounted in the inverted position.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krazyginger