1968 POV

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Well I' m now the proud owner of a 68 Bronco. I want to keep the lights and siren period correct as this well be more of a show truck than daily driver. Georgia allows Red/Clear and Siren so whats yalls thoughts?

Mid or shorty Twinsonic.... driver side solid red, passenger side clear dome one red one clear bulb. Also some par 36 bumper or grill lights would be accurate and effective.

Georgia allows Red/Clear and Siren
Just make you sure have the proper permit first!

Anyways I love the thought of a vintage POV era correct equipped especially if it isn't a beater or rust bucket. I would go all out with a dual beacon lightbar with chrome speaker in the center.

Also what department are you with?

How about one of these for overhead lighting :mrgreen:?

JK, you may not have the extra money to drop for one of those beasts :lol: .

Personally, I'd get a Twin Beacon Ray, aka Visibar, lightbar with clear domes, red/clear bulbs and a CP-25 or CP-100 chrome siren speaker. For a siren console, either a Federal PA15A or PA20A series A-D (low pitch tone) siren would be good. I agree with some other fellows' idea of using red/red or red/clear par36 grill lights. Rear warning could be a pair of par46s in red/red mounted to the roof or inside behind the back window. If you want to throw in a dash light, a Federal Fireball or Flashball teardrop would work good too.

You must post some pics of the completed truck once you decide what to rig 'er up with!

Someone mentioned the PA15 and PA20.

Both the PA15 and PA20 have wail, yelp and alert tones. They are older sirens (c. 1962-1966), but they have low-pitched tones and would still be period correct for a 1968 vehicle restoration.

Other electronic siren options include:

Fyr-Fyter Penetrator

Sireno Projector

Motorola T1300A

GE Power-Call /Siren

Or if you want a mechanical siren, Federal, B&M, Sterling, or just about any old siren will do.

For a 1968 vehicle a Twin Beacon Ray would be appropriate as would one or two 14's or 17's, or a single 184, 173, 174, 175, or 176. If it's just going to be a dash light, then a Fireball and a pair of round, alternating lights in the grill or on the bumper would fit the bill.

If this is truly a POV, most POV's in 1968 didn't have expensive stuff like Beacon Rays, 184's, Q's, Twinsonics, chrome siren speakers etc. They had a Fireball or a 121 light, maybe a 14 light if they were rich. Lollypop lights for the front grill maybe, on the back deck maybe some red S/T/T lollypop lights if they wanted to imitate the copcars of the day. That's it.

The size of that vehicle lends itself nicely to a single roof mounted beacon. If you perfer large beacons, a nice Beacon ray. If you perfer medium beacons, a Whelen Senior Deputy, or Dietz 7-61, or a Beacon Ray Junior. Smaller beacons, Vitalite, or Whelen Rota Beam. All would be correct for the period.

Dan

Thanks for all the ideas yall.

Squad-6 said:
Just make you sure have the proper permit first!

Anyways I love the thought of a vintage POV era correct equipped especially if it isn't a beater or rust bucket. I would go all out with a dual beacon lightbar with chrome speaker in the center.

Also what department are you with?

It will have it' s permit when time. I' m with New Lois down in Berrien county.

Wailer said:
GE Power-Call /Siren

I have a Powercall just wasnt sure if they where used in 68.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381