1979 Ford F700 Fire Engine

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
This is a 1979 Ford F700 enigine that was used up until a few years ago as the primary engine for the local fire department. It is still used by the department but now is for parade and show duty only. I played on the back of this truck as a kid as well as seeing it in action when I would ride along calls with my father to fire scenes so I have a lot of fond memories with it. Could anyone tell me information about this series of trucks? I found a department in Kansas that had a perfect twin to it and other than these two trucks, I have never seen any others just like them. This was the only truck in the county that had the front mounted pump. It was a very unique truck because of that feature. If you have questions as well, I will try my best to answer.

422134_3397169968560_1249070546_3511408_467917172_n.jpg

417517_3397158528274_1249070546_3511406_415981983_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
One thing I forgot to say about this truck, from day one, straight from the factory, the thing loved to backfire after it left the fire house on a run. I don't know how many mechanics, both professional and shade tree, worked on it to get rid of the back fire but never could. I lived a few blocks from the station and I could hear the backfire before the hum of the engine. But once the motor warmed up it would be fine. 1970s motor technology maybe?

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
medicwf41 said:
The Fairfield Illinois city fire dept still has one on front line duty.

I spoke with the chief and he said in a pinch, the truck could be used incase they needed and extra truck. Another reason they still have it is, of the three engines they now have, this one is the only one that can be used as a brush truck. You don't have to disengage the transmission to run the pump.

toolman247

Apr 29, 2011
USA NY
The village near where I grew up had at least one Canastota - Engine 122 - CNYFireTrucks.com. Here is a pic. IIRC they also had asecond one. These werw the same vintage. The first thing the Dept. would do is cut the mufflers off and let the 429's sing. They would also backfire like you described. Go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts, 1948-2011 Ford F150, Super Duty & SUV owners community and information source. Covers F100, F-150, F250, Bronco, Ranger, Explorer, Expedition, Lighting, Escape and More for more info for the truck part. They are a good group like the people here.

LTSQUIRREL

Mar 13, 2011
Sterling, CT
That's a nice looking old girl glad to see u guys kept it for show. I just want to say/ask one thing isn't riding on top of trucks even in parades a big no no? I know around here if osha saw that video they would be making a nice phone call to the chief. Just wondering how things are in other parts of the country

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That is a sweet looking apparatus. I love older fire apparatus and it's really nice to see one that has been maintained in it's original configuration. A TwinSonic up front and a pair of BR-2's in the back, marginal by 1979 standards and terrible by today's standards. So many departments have changed out sirens, speakers and warning lights on their older equipment in order to keep them relatively modern. It's refreshing to see an old unit retaining its old equipment. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
LTSQUIRREL said:
That's a nice looking old girl glad to see u guys kept it for show. I just want to say/ask one thing isn't riding on top of trucks even in parades a big no no? I know around here if osha saw that video they would be making a nice phone call to the chief. Just wondering how things are in other parts of the country

I am not sure what the rule is for riding in parades. There are 9 departments in the county and every one that has an engine in the parade has people riding on them. Since it has been done for so many years, it may be one of those traditions thats hard to break.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
stansdds said:
That is a sweet looking apparatus. I love older fire apparatus and it's really nice to see one that has been maintained in it's original configuration. A TwinSonic up front and a pair of BR-2's in the back, marginal by 1979 standards and terrible by today's standards. So many departments have changed out sirens, speakers and warning lights on their older equipment in order to keep them relatively modern. It's refreshing to see an old unit retaining its old equipment. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

You mentioned the lights on the back... I had seen newer trucks (1980s) with strobes on the back and being compared to those on the back of this truck, the alternate flashing of the BR-2s was much more consistant and brighter than the newer strobes. That may be why I am not a strobe fan. Really the only thing added to the truck that was not original was the boot that covered the end of the ladder. That was only added maybe 15 years ago. Thanks for you comment about keeping it original. Seeing a 1960s EV with LEDS on top looks so wrong, lol. It is like your grandmother wearing a Lady Gaga outfit for a family reunion, lol :quiverlips:

mudman2013

Jan 29, 2012
Kansas
Somewhat hard to tell from the picture, but I believe that truck has a Barton American Pump, and would be manufactured by American Fire Equipment. I believe the main factory was in Battle Creek Michigan. Wise American Fire Equipment out of Salina Kansas, Now Wise Fire Equipment, sold them by the train load to almost every fire department in Kansas.

There were either 500gpm pumps with 2 outlets or 750gpm pumps with 3 outlets. The pumps were driven from the front of the motor, and were capable of pump and roll. Many chassis were used not just Ford, also Chevy, GMC, and International. Almost all were prone to overheating, since the factory crimped off the bottom 6 to 8 inches of the radiator for the pump drive shaft to go through it.

They had Vacum primer and a crude pressure governer, neither of which worked for long.

I believe that Barton American was bought by Hale, parts can still be had, but are custom made.

Many of the trucks were built in Michigan then shipped uncompleted to Salina where Wise American would finish them. They would Install the lighting and switches, the hose bed racks, and outfit the truck with its final equipment. Most everything was Federal Signal equipment. Many departments here also purchased their truck locally, had it shipped to michigan to be upfitted, then either drove them back or had them shipped back to Salina where they were finished.

This one would be a later truck and a very highly spec'd truck too, most here had only single or dual beacons, not full lightbars. Im guessing it also has a PA-20 siren, most everyone of them I have ever see have been that way.

A department I was on had a 1970 Chevy C50 that was pristine with 1200 miles on the odometer, a 500gpm pump, and Federal model 14 beacon on top. We sold the truck for $500 when it was replaced.

Bill Boyd

Jul 6, 2010
Avon, NY
The first department I belonged to had a 1965 International/American, 750 gpm Front Mount with a 1250 Tank. That truck was a beast! Sure if you had to pump with it for a long time, you had to open the hood, but it could out pump most of our new trucks. It was a sad day to see that loaded on a flat bed to go down south to start a new life with another department. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
mudman2013 said:
Somewhat hard to tell from the picture, but I believe that truck has a Barton American Pump, and would be manufactured by American Fire Equipment. I believe the main factory was in Battle Creek Michigan. Wise American Fire Equipment out of Salina Kansas, Now Wise Fire Equipment, sold them by the train load to almost every fire department in Kansas.

There were either 500gpm pumps with 2 outlets or 750gpm pumps with 3 outlets. The pumps were driven from the front of the motor, and were capable of pump and roll. Many chassis were used not just Ford, also Chevy, GMC, and International. Almost all were prone to overheating, since the factory crimped off the bottom 6 to 8 inches of the radiator for the pump drive shaft to go through it.

They had Vacum primer and a crude pressure governer, neither of which worked for long.

I believe that Barton American was bought by Hale, parts can still be had, but are custom made.

Many of the trucks were built in Michigan then shipped uncompleted to Salina where Wise American would finish them. They would Install the lighting and switches, the hose bed racks, and outfit the truck with its final equipment. Most everything was Federal Signal equipment. Many departments here also purchased their truck locally, had it shipped to michigan to be upfitted, then either drove them back or had them shipped back to Salina where they were finished.

This one would be a later truck and a very highly spec'd truck too, most here had only single or dual beacons, not full lightbars. Im guessing it also has a PA-20 siren, most everyone of them I have ever see have been that way.

A department I was on had a 1970 Chevy C50 that was pristine with 1200 miles on the odometer, a 500gpm pump, and Federal model 14 beacon on top. We sold the truck for $500 when it was replaced.

Several things you said makes since. When I spoke with the Kansas department I mentioned earlier in the thread, they said those trucks were everywhere in Kansas since they were made there. This truck has the 750 tank and yes it has 3 outlets on the pump. The truck would almost always over heat when on scene and they had to raise the hood to keep it from over heating. But I didn't know that the radiator was to small because of the pump drive shaft. Most other trucks I have seen had one or two beacons on top not full bars. The Kansas department has pics of their truck online and it had the full light bar as well. Even the guage plate on the grill was the same.

One thing I forgot to mention, in the many attempted solutions to keep the truck from over heating, the most successful was removing the thermostat from the cooling system. Seems like the ff i spoke to about it said it would stilll over heat but not as often. Of course that would make runs in the middle of the winter more uncomfortable.

Thanks for this info. It is very helpful.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
The following link if to the retired truck history page of the Mulvane, KS Fire Department. If you scroll down the page to Engine 402, you can see thumbnails that you can click to enlarge and see their 1979 Ford/American enigine. Other than the grill and front bumper painted red, it is a perfect twin to Oneida's truck pictured above.

Old Trucks

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
Just found out this morning that the department has sold this historical piece of fire fighting equipment. A local farmer gave the highest bid. I don't know what will become of the truck now. :confused:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Is that a siren I see on the dashboard of that truck? It looks like a Federal PA15A 1E or PA20A 2E.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
LTSQUIRREL said:

If anyone ever inspected parade floats or what passes for one, there would be no parades anywhere.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
Wailer said:
Is that a siren I see on the dashboard of that truck? It looks like a Federal PA15A 1E or PA20A 2E.

I am not really sure what model it is but it is a Fed Sig Interceptor. The siren in the video below is the exact same sound as the one on the truck. Listening to this vedio can bring back a lot of memories watching the truck go by my home and also being on scene with my father as the truck would arrive on scene. To me it is a death of part of my childhood to see this truck no longer at the station.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
ejwa said:
I am not really sure what model it is but it is a Fed Sig Interceptor. The siren in the video below is the exact same sound as the one on the truck. Listening to this vedio can bring back a lot of memories watching the truck go by my home and also being on scene with my father as the truck would arrive on scene. To me it is a death of part of my childhood to see this truck no longer at the station.

It's a PA20A series 2E. The 2E was introduced in the early 1970s and is the most common version of the Interceptor.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
This photo was taken back in 1980. These were the charter members of the department. This was taken soon after the truck was delivered, may have been on a run by then judging from the mud on the wheel well. My father is the man in the middle with the blue shirt and gray pants. Due to death or other reasons, none of these men are on the department today.

ovfd0005.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Abit old on the bump

but anyone else take note of whats on top of this truck....

lol

I'd buy it

:)

ejwa said:
I found this truck for sale online. It is not an exact twin of the truck I posted but it is the same year and I think the same pump on the front. This truck has a different apparatus as well.

1979 Ford F700 Fire Truck - GovDeals.com

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Great old truck. We had an old Ford like that but it was just a tender. I believe it has a similar siren. That old light bar and two big halogen flashers on the grille (like flashers on a school bus) and people actually moved back then.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.