(2) New Ambulances - Final Pics 2/18

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
Here is a couple factory pictures of our 2 new Med Duty ambulances that we should be taking delivery of in the next 2 weeks.

The first is a 2011 International made by LifeLine in Iowa. This was ordered in March/April and due to emission changes there was a big delay on the chassis. All M series LED's and has a Pioneer for side scene lighting.

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e303_b_hamman0512_115.jpg

The second is a 2010 International made by MedTec. This was to go on the line as a demo for Foster Coach in IL but due to our needs of another squad immediately we were able to purchase and make the changes we needed inside the box, the outside compartments and lighting couldn't be changed as they had already been cut. Has all Whelen LED lighting and about every option as it was to be a demo.

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e303_b_hamman0512_115_1_1.jpg

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e303_b_hamman0512_NEW114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are configured the same on light colors

Front is R/C/R/C/B/C/B

Side Fenders are R/C split - only split lighthead

Front lower grille is R/R

Side Rear above wheel is B/B

Rear is R/R

B/B <--Reversed on Medtec as Brake lights are wired to the mid level lights

Rear T/A on both

Medtec has the Strip lights also along bottom of box, Driver side R/B/R, Passenger side is B/R/B. 900 Series LED flood lights

I like it but when i worked EMS i always prefferd the Van units instead of the bigger ones. I dont know i just think they are a smoother ride and faster too. But those rigs look friken sweet also.

Why do some of the lights have such a slight blue tint?

the protective cover on them when they are new. you just peel it off, almost like tape

Station 3 said:
I like it but when i worked EMS i always prefferd the Van units instead of the bigger ones. I dont know i just think they are a smoother ride and faster too. But those rigs look friken sweet also.

Its smoother for the driver. If your the Tech in the back a box is always better to work in .

I was an EMT for about 8 years. I much preferred vans until we had a trauma or a code. Any "real" call you want a box. But for standard granny totes and med calls, I'd rather have a van.

Boxes are the way to go though, generally, in the modern world. It's bizarre to me to see blue lights on a medic unit. I like it! Nice rigs.

Foster coach does a good job with the demo units. I was on a service that had a nice type III unit that was one of their demos for 2006.

Lifeline was delivered early this week and is in service. Assuming it's not cloudy tomorrow I'll try and get pictures of it. The Medtec is suppose to be picked up on Monday but due to the impending storm on our side Sunday and Monday it probably won't happen but we'll see. Will be nice to get them both in service and running 3 med duty squads and get rid of those F series that are money pits

Let me know how you guys like the medium duty trucks Brian. I know a service I was on had two of them, Internationals w/Road Rescue body... and they are in the process of going back to Type III trucks on the new E series or Chevy chassis. I never did like how they handled or road... but they looked friggin sweeeeet!

Here in Minnesota, blue is now appearing on ambulances facing forward now. In the rear was just red and amber then couple of years ago blue was added to the rear of ambulances. The police units here are now are have blue forward facing like the majority of states. About mid 90's blue started on police units but were only on the left rear only.

The medtec was delievered last week and went into service yesterday. The Lifeline has been in service for a couple weeks now. Everyone seems to like them, we already have a Freightliner so it's nothing new here. I'll try and get some pictures as soon as the weather clears up and I'm able to get some good shots of both of them

Mndlm said:
About mid 90's blue started on police units but were only on the left rear only.
You mean 'right' / passenger rear? There's a lot of depts that are still doing this. The full red/blue is very slowly taking off. And, this wasn't only police, it was all emergency vehicles... fire and ambulance included.

It's amazing how different colored lens 900s and clear lens M series looks next to each other. I think both look pretty slick.... but I prefer the old school "colored square" more I think.

Why 2 different manufacturers?

JohnMarcson said:
It's amazing how different colored lens 900s and clear lens M series looks next to each other. I think both look pretty slick.... but I prefer the old school "colored square" more I think.

Why 2 different manufacturers?

The 2011 is a LifeLine(w/ M series LEDS) that was ordered last Feb/March? and when we ordered it they said they had a chassis that met our specs and that it would be completed in 45 days....Well long story short, the chassis was never there, they had to order it and it didn't come in until late October.

During this time frame our main transfer ambulance and 2nd 911 ambulance were a 2005 F450 w/ nearly 190k and 2002 Ford F450 w/ around 170k that were run a lot and had numerous problems.

At first, once we got the Lifelife ordered and on the line we were going to turn around and order a second. The problem like everyone else was having was the chassis shortage and wait time for them because of the emission changes. We went looking at other manufacturers and MedTec, which was 1 we traded, had a Demo that was going on the line and we had 3 weeks to make the changes we needed for our specs on the inside of the box but everything else had to stay the same, such as the lights. We lucked out though because the compartments were what we wanted.

We got both squads within 2 weeks of each other and we are now Ford free! 2 Internationals and a 2000 Freightliner

My department has had Medtec since 93 on Ford F series Freightliner one Ford E series and now 2009 Internationals. We have always bought from Foster coach. In those 18 years we have never had a problem. We run about 4500 calls a year with 3 medic units.

i personally love those "big" style ambulances over the f450's.

They look really nice, but lets get some vids up

calebsheltonmed23 said:
I like how the back windows are "tinted" with the SOL. It's good for patient privacy, IMO.

I concur. Tinted windows don't work when the rear inner lights are on and it's dark outside.

Am i crazy, or does it look like in the factory that bus has Gen 1 red 900's and in the "in service" picture it has the super led 900's.......

LLS said:
Am i crazy, or does it look like in the factory that bus has Gen 1 red 900's and in the "in service" picture it has the super led 900's.......

You sir, would be crazy :D

LLS said:

I think it's just a camera effect.. some of the LEDs look grey/blue in the factory pic.

JohnMarcson said:
I think it's just a camera effect.. some of the LEDs look grey/blue in the factory pic.

The blue color in the first pictures is from a protective film over them, like tape, to protect them in the box. (Or something like that... at least thats what they said when i asked... see page 1)

Are the lightheads on the grill/fenders white led's, or colored with clear lenses. Just wondering since the rest of the lightheads have colored lenses.

LED said:
Are the lightheads on the grill/fenders white led's, or colored with clear lenses. Just wondering since the rest of the lightheads have colored lenses.

They are split Red/White. Front was to be red but it didn't get changed and we left them that way

nerdly_dood said:
The blue color in the first pictures is from a protective film over them, like tape, to protect them in the box. (Or something like that... at least thats what they said when i asked... see page 1)

That makes sense... thanks for the info.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381