2000 Dodge Dakota UPDATED 7/2 W/ MORE VIDEOS

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
2000 Dodge Dakota, used for fire/EMS response. Setup as follows:

Front: Code 3 Warrior (Blue), Unity "The Beam" Spotlight (White), HLF (Code 3)

Side/Intersection: Axixtech TIR3's (Blue), Unity "The Beam" Spotlight with Code 3 HLF (White)

Rear: Nova N500 LAW (White), Whelen Single Talon (R/B) (The pattern looks good! :thumbsup: )

Scene: Unity "The Beam" Spotlight

Siren/Switch: Code 3 MasterCom

Speaker: SOS 100D

I have added a HLF!! This was a custom application. I took 2 '96 CVPI High Beams and put them in my head light housing. I drilled a 3/4" hole in each head light (the only place that I could), and they were pretty snug, and no room to put a screw in it, so I just siliconed the crap out of it! It works great, and does'nt interfere with the factory headlights. My high beams can be on while using these. There are two videos at the end of this post. I will try to get pics up today, along with a day light video. I have a wedding to go to today, so don't expect too much! lol

Enjoy, and feel free to give suggestions!! (And I know I need more lights! Buying them as the money comes in.)

DCAM0010.JPG

DCAM0001.JPG

DCAM0002.JPG

DCAM0003.JPG

DCAM0004.JPG

DCAM0005.JPG

DCAM0006.JPG

DCAM0003.JPG

DCAM0004.JPG

DCAM0005.JPG

DCAM0006.JPG

DCAM0007.JPG

DCAM0008.JPG

DCAM0009.JPG

DCAM0011.JPG

DCAM0012.JPG

DCAM0013.JPG

DCAM0014.JPG

DCAM0015.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
not bad. in addition to the flasher for the unity on the a-post, i would add a normal HLF for your highbeams.

i also think that your rear and side warning is sufficient for now (although you can add some lights on the side of your toolbox at some point), so i really think you should focus on adding to your front warning: a pair of grill lights (i.e. whelen 500 series) and a better dash light (a whelen dual avenger or dual fedsig viper)

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
HLF is kinda out of the question. I've found out that the low beam and high beam are from the same bulb, and when you turn the headlights on, it shuts the HLF off. And our Chief makes us run headlights while running code for safety reasons. I am going to get some grille lights and hopefully an interior bar or atleast another Talon.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
most HLF have an option to cut off with the headlight switch on, but all the ones i've seen have had the ability to flash with the headlights on. One bulb or separate bulbs shouldn't matter. I can't tell you how to wire it, as I've never been comfortable trying to install one yet. lol. But I do know that it's possible.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Dave said:
My suggestion is to lose the white to the rear.

+1

White to the rear is not allowed in many states anyway (not sure about MO) as it can blind oncoming traffic.

Better to use either amber, red, or blue, depending on which is allowed for you.

If your rear warning is mostly for protection when parked at a scene, amber (if allowed) is probably best.

Lookn2cuff

Jan 1, 2011
Brazos Valley Texas
A HLF works well with single bulbs that have low/high beam. If you look at most Crown Vics and other police cars, they can run the HLF on the high beam and the lows can be on at the same time. You have to tap into the high beam wire and watch for the high beam cut off wire. You can connect or not connect depending on your preference. Be careful with the Dodges, some have to have positive ground and others have negative ground HLF's.

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
If I was you I'd try to get at lease 3 to 4 lights in the rear, and then work on getting more to the front. As for the side of vehicle I would maybe get a light in the side window of the back seat, and just work on front and rear. However if you do any traffic control, then maybe you should just get a lightbar because with the lights you already have and a lightbar would be enough. :thumbsup:

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Lookn2cuff said:
A HLF works well with single bulbs that have low/high beam. If you look at most Crown Vics and other police cars, they can run the HLF on the high beam and the lows can be on at the same time. You have to tap into the high beam wire and watch for the high beam cut off wire. You can connect or not connect depending on your preference. Be careful with the Dodges, some have to have positive ground and others have negative ground HLF's.

I tried hooking a HLF a while back and messed up the computer. I'm sure I did something wrong, but I don't have the $200 for another! lol. And it's ground switched.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
I said:
If I was you I'd try to get at lease 3 to 4 lights in the rear' date=' and then work on getting more to the front. As for the side of vehicle I would maybe get a light in the side window of the back seat, and just work on front and rear. However if you do any traffic control, then maybe you should just get a lightbar because with the lights you already have and a lightbar would be enough. :thumbsup: [/quote']

No back window, regular cab. :( Next I'm going to try and get some grille lights and/or Talon, etc., and some LAW's for the front. And the rear, probably another Talon and a Strobes N' More TA/Warning Bar on the toolbox. And a TIR3 on the tool box and under the mirror. But...that's when the money is available! Ohhh if I was rich!

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
ark_firefighter said:
look at www.micromanindustries.com for your new interior lightbar...

Awsome lights at great prices .... look around his site and you'll find something you love.

His lights can also work in your grill and tool box as well !

Gave him a call a few days ago!! I'm still trying to research stuff and see what fits on my truck. (the Talon was sitting awfully close to head!). MicroMan's lights are pretty thin and don't hang as low from what I've seen. I think I might end up having to remove my fire dept. decals and the Glock and AK decals. :( :sadcry: Yeah, but everything is still up in the air. Just depends on funds! lol.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
ive had a few issues with the windshield on my 01 dakota heres a video of the old setup on my dakota befor the lights were stolen.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
The grill lights are lightning x brand LX4 The dashlight is a micromax.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
calebsheltonmed23 said:
They look good. I like the flash pattern on the grille lights.
I went with a pattern that gave the most light.The biggest pain for the grill is the limited space

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
DLuccia said:
I went with a pattern that gave the most light.The biggest pain for the grill is the limited space

+1! I don't want grille lights on it for the reason that the grille opens with the hood, so the wires could fall down and get chopped up and tear up my fan, or they melt off and my truck catches fire. If I do, I'm going to make a custom bracket that will sit in front of the radiator and I'll leave them there.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Get yourself a mini bar and your set LED would be the best of course. But if your short on cash get a halogen or strobe cant go wrong with a mini bar you get 360 coverage and its not expensive and no install needed just throw on top and plug in to the cigarett lighter. Either than that it looks good just that you need more lights to the front.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
calebsheltonmed23 said:
+1! I don't want grille lights on it for the reason that the grille opens with the hood, so the wires could fall down and get chopped up and tear up my fan, or they melt off and my truck catches fire. If I do, I'm going to make a custom bracket that will sit in front of the radiator and I'll leave them there.
I took and made a simple bracket and bolted it to the radiator supports. there were already holes there so i used them i used a piece of scrap shelf guide metal to support the lx4's and just used bolts with washers in the back insted of the screws that came with them. I ziptied the wires out of anything that was moving and never had an issue

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
DLuccia said:
I took and made a simple bracket and bolted it to the radiator supports. there were already holes there so i used them i used a piece of scrap shelf guide metal to support the lx4's and just used bolts with washers in the back insted of the screws that came with them. I ziptied the wires out of anything that was moving and never had an issue

Cool. I'll have to give that a try! Thanks!

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Station 3 said:
Get yourself a mini bar and your set LED would be the best of course. But if your short on cash get a halogen or strobe cant go wrong with a mini bar you get 360 coverage and its not expensive and no install needed just throw on top and plug in to the cigarett lighter. Either than that it looks good just that you need more lights to the front.

I have a C3 LP 6000 mini bar that I throw up there sometimes. There's actually a video of it on my Youtube account. But I use it when I get desperate! lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.