2001 Audi A4 (VIDEO UPDATE: 06/01/2014)

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
***Updated 06/01/14***

This is my 2001 Audi A4. It has a SOS Pinnacle in the front (originally made for a Crown Victoria), and in the back there are two SNDL3 (SVP ULB9S) lights on the back deck, and two SOS LED3 lights on a license plate bracket. I am using a Whelen ULF44 flasher for the rear lights. As you may know, the ULB9S lights are unable to by synchronized. In the original video, you can see that I did the best with what I had as far as flash patterns. It was alright, but I wanted them to be synced together. I just got in from outside right now, and worked my magic. I took apart the ULB9S lights, bypassed the circuit board, and put them back together. See pics for wiring of SNDL3's and video for complete sync of rear lights

Please feel free to offer any comments, suggestion, etc. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqHbiLmYgM

ai759.photobucket.com_albums_xx233_codycat91_null_zpsfd589f3e.jpg

ai759.photobucket.com_albums_xx233_codycat91_null_zps34b2737f.jpg

ai759.photobucket.com_albums_xx233_codycat91_null_zps41d1c0df.jpg

ai759.photobucket.com_albums_xx233_codycat91_null_zps70467c22.jpg

ai759.photobucket.com_albums_xx233_codycat91_null_zpsa024437f.jpg

REAR PATTERN SYNC VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDJw7XZrCdo

Last edited by a moderator:

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
1. Patterns - I don't like either, at all. If I had to choose between those two it would be the new and slower one. Not my vehicle, not my light, if you like the pattern you like the pattern and you can just tell me to eff off. Lol. It's all personal opinion.

2. Simple and effective. However, something seems.... off about the front to me. Need and HLF, or something else to the front. Maybe grill lights. Something. I can't put a finger on it.

Wish I could be more help, and normally I have a "better" opinion on lighting, but I just can't come up with what you need to add. But something does indeed need to be added.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
JPolston said:
1. Patterns - I don't like either, at all. If I had to choose between those two it would be the new and slower one. Not my vehicle, not my light, if you like the pattern you like the pattern and you can just tell me to eff off. Lol. It's all personal opinion.

2. Simple and effective. However, something seems.... off about the front to me. Need and HLF, or something else to the front. Maybe grill lights. Something. I can't put a finger on it.

Wish I could be more help, and normally I have a "better" opinion on lighting, but I just can't come up with what you need to add. But something does indeed need to be added.

Sorry, forgot to add a part. I posted this 2 days ago and it got lost with all the site maintenance. I have two more blue LED3's I wanted to put in the grill but there's not really any good way to mount them. All the slots in the grill are narrow and the grill "fins" go deep and are at a slight upward angle

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Also, now that I have the whole rear synced, I can play with different patterns. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow

May 27, 2013
NY
If you can make the visor bar flash one side completely and then the other side completely, I think that would be best for the front

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
FollowingNFront said:
If you can make the visor bar flash one side completely and then the other side completely, I think that would be best for the front

Ok I'll try that. That is actually what I have for my secondary flash pattern, minus the TD's

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks good so far, a nice job on requiring the sirennet mini phantoms. My 2 recommendations:

1) get rid of the inner/outer flash pattern on each side & simply stick with a pattern where the entire side flashes

2) slow down the rear deck sync lights; for the rear, they should be like a moderate-fast wigwag pattern (like NYPD), & I would do outer modules alternating with inner

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Very Very nice, love the patterns, love the sync, and not over done. Well Done!!

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i like it a lot! sync looks SO MUCH better. That is amber to the rear, right? its hard for me to tell on my cracked iphone. I think the front pinnacle looks great too. TBO, i dont even think the rear LP lights are necessary, maybe re-allocate them to the grill? Just a thought. Looks great!

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Storm4200 said:
i like it a lot! sync looks SO MUCH better. That is amber to the rear, right? its hard for me to tell on my cracked iphone. I think the front pinnacle looks great too. TBO, i dont even think the rear LP lights are necessary, maybe re-allocate them to the grill? Just a thought. Looks great!

The rear is technically a "white" but I was disappointed in it when it was in my old car's windshield because it almost DID look amber. It is more yellowish than a halogen white, and not even close to the LED white in the front pinnacle. The license plate lights may be unnecessary, but I had them so I figured I'd use them. I have another pair laying around that I wanted to put in the grill but there's not really a good way that is apparent to me to mount them

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Figured out a way (I think the only possible way) to mount a pair of grill lights. Ill take a video in the daytime tomorrow, but here's just an idea of the placement. What do you think? I don't think I'm a fan of them being vertical, but that's about the only way they'd work

ai759.photobucket.com_albums_xx233_codycat91_06177618_0F52_4EB6_B076_DC9E083CBED3_zpsovzmko6g.jpg

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
This is going to be pretty much the final completed project. I like the rear pattern the best out of all of them, and the front has basically 3 different modes. 1.) Responding which has flashing takedowns and grill lights. 2.) Could be on-scene or responding with secondary flash pattern (no takedowns) and grill lights, and 3.) could also be on-scene or responding with just the secondary flash pattern. My switch box is in my glove compartment, so you cannot see it in the passenger compartment of the car with the glove box shut. It is easily accessible from the driver seat however.

Switch box goes as follows:

1 - Primary Flash with Grill Lights

2 - Rear Lights

3 - Secondary Flash

4 - (currently unused)

5 - Low Power

6 - Steady Takedown

With switches 1 and 3 activated, the grilll lights are still on, but the secondary flash pattern of the Pinnacle overrides the primary. That's how I get flash pattern 2 in the video. Enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUVDg0X0ejQ

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think it looks great!! i just wish those rear deck lights were: B/A A/B

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Looks much better. A couple suggestions though, make the second pinnacle pattern the primary, and flash the grill lights simultaneously for a larger footprint because they are so small and close together. Also, it appears that you are using a ULF44 flasher for the rear. If that's the case you could wire the alternate pattern switch for the pinnacle to also change the rear lights to a slow single flash when on scene.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oE27dFIRA

Added a pair of lights to each side windows, CPS authority T6 modules. Shitty shitty quality lights, but I had them laying around. Not bad output, but the wires are hair thin and one actually ripped out of the light head while I was mounting it. PITA

Youtube description:

Obviously, couldnt have had a brighter, more sunny day than this. Taken at a snowy State Park with almost overwhelming snow glare.

Whelen switch box is as follows:
1 - Primary Pinnacle Pattern + Grill Lights
2 - Primary Rear and Side lights
3 - Secondary Pinnacle Pattern (no white, only blue)
4 - Secondary Rear/Side Pattern
5 - Low Power (only affects rear/side)
6 - Takedown

Soundoff Signal (SOS) Pinnacle in front windshield, SOS LED3's in grill and rear license plate, Star ULB9S on rear deck, and CPS Authority T6 Blaster 6 modules in side windows (DO NOT RECOMMEND CPS). The wires are hair thin and rip out very easily. Low quality, but they were better than nothing and I happened to have them laying around.

When I hit low power, it appears the side lights change pattern, but they are still the simultaneous secondary pattern as seen earlier. Idk why it looks different in the video

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I like it. I know how bright it can be when it's sunny and it appears that, while it's generally a bad idea to use white lights to the rear, you've kept it low-key enough that that shouldn't be a problem. The flash patterns are amazing. One thing I'd change is amber to the rear is always a good thing.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
I would've preferred to have the white light in the rear amber instead, but I used to have those as front lights on my previous car, so I was just making use of what I had. I wouldn't mind trading a blue LED3 for an amber one

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
RES347CUE said:
I think it looks real good even with the glare

Thanks. The point was to show it was bright even in the brightest conditions. Any light will good at night

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
You know what would look good? Sell the deck lights and pick up a Microman stick that is B/B/B/A/A/A/B/B/B and flash it with the LP lights like this

BBBxxxBBB

---x-x---

xxxAAAxxx

---B-B---

BBBxxxBBB

---x-x---

xxxAAAxxx

---B-B---

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
acala91 said:
You know what would look good? Sell the deck lights and pick up a Microman stick that is B/B/B/A/A/A/B/B/B and flash it with the LP lights like this

BBBxxxBBB

---x-x---

xxxAAAxxx

---B-B---

BBBxxxBBB

---x-x---

xxxAAAxxx

---B-B---

Yeah it would. I wouldn't mind having a stick, and if this had been planned out from the beginning, that's he route I would've gone.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
What does everyone else think? Should I leave it as-is or change it up?

I have the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Sure it works and actually looks pretty good as is but it's not as good as it could be IMO. Large blocks of light, especially that big block of amber is so much more effective than the small light heads that are there now.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Wow, I can't believe what a huge difference adding one amber actually makes! It really breaks up the blue and stands out much much more than I was expecting!

ai759.photobucket.com_albums_xx233_codycat91_5F381592_2AA3_424A_96C6_10B36179C778_zpse3l6zfsx.png

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
Sure it works and actually looks pretty good as is but it's not as good as it could be IMO. Large blocks of light, especially that big block of amber is so much more effective than the small light heads that are there now.

I have to agree. I think a bar would look better on the rear dash

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Eric1249 said:
I have to agree. I think a bar would look better on the rear dash

Id probably consider trading up if somebody wanted to. But I don't see myself scrapping what I have and buying a new one

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Little update: switched out the white to the rear with blue, and added an amber instead of blue. Also changed to an "X" pattern with entire phantoms flashing together.

Don't like the music in the video? Suck it

http://youtu.be/bFabozabmMs

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Feniex Canons on the way. Replaced the rusted trunk and sold the LED3's and LP bracket. Red cannons are going in the taillights.

I may consider adding a second pair of cannons to each side in the reverse light housing, red, blue or clear. Not sure

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
The reverse light housings are too small for a HAW to be effective. I'm still in favor of a light stick in the top of the rear window. Getting a B/B/A/A/A/A/B/B Microman stick and flashing the blue together then the amber with the HAWs would look fantastic and be extremely effective.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have small reverse light housing on my truck and the Cannons work great. Could you use them as reverse lights as well?

I like leds in the tails since there tend to be further apart.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
My rear lights are basically split into four tiers. The bottom red is the running lights, then reverse, then brake, then rear fog on top. Which one do you think would be best for the red cannons? I'm thinking not the reverse, so I always have the option of putting a separate cannon in there as well

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.