2001 Chevy 2500hd CCSB with Millennium (Millennium Discussion)

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
So, I've like the 911ep Millennium since it first came out. Now that I can finally afford this stuff, I started buying them up, and had to put one on my new truck! truck is a 2001 2500hd, crew cab short box with the 496 (8.1L). I use amber because I plow snow.

Anyways, bought this fully functioning all amber Millennium off a member on here, gave me a great deal! first test fit on the truck..

It sat up on the ridges of the roof. Wouldn't sit flat, so I had to open the slots on the brackets to move the feet inward

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x24_eaglewagon1_Image03292012150829.jpg

second test fit, feet sat right inside the outer ridges. perfect

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x24_eaglewagon1_Image03302012171644.jpg

The Millennium has two small cables, one power/ground, one comm. with the CID

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x24_eaglewagon1_Image03292012194155.jpg

Fed power into the truck with an amplifier install power cable (I believe 8awg)

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x24_eaglewagon1_Image03312012190553.jpg

Mess of wires, powering the lightbar, CID, and switchbox (FS sw300). Only have the primary lightbar function hooked up for now

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x24_eaglewagon1_Image03312012190523.jpg

Finished! (for now, still have to wire up the other functions, and probably get a bigger switchbox)

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x24_eaglewagon1_th_Video03312012211515.jpg

And this is a smaller video I sent to Ryan B. So he could get a first glimpse...

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x24_eaglewagon1_th_Video03312012231440.jpg

More to come, have to take more pics, and install more LEDs (split white/amber LIN4s under the turn signals, and amber TIR3 on the rear bumper) Enjoy for now!

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
MEVS06 said:
Nice truck, I like the Millennium also

Thanks! I know the Millennium isn't a bright lightbar, but the patterns are amazing, and since I'm just plowing snow, its less distracting to me than seeing lights flashing all over

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
7d9_z28 said:
Thanks! I know the Millennium isn't a bright lightbar, but the patterns are amazing, and since I'm just plowing snow, its less distracting to me than seeing lights flashing all over

Thats smart. No need to blind yourself or other drivers on the road in snowy conditions.

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
looks like my truck .

but i have a 49" millennium. i had it on a 92 gmc pickup for 6yrs. i sold the truck last fall. and since the millennium didnt fit on the roof correctly it wore the paint off the roof where the 4 feet pads sat. i also added the whelen led take down lights to the millenium for the take downs and alley lights. i since then last fall got a 2004 chevy 2500 hd and wanted to put a millennium on it. and tryed so hard to get a 60" bar so it would fit correct and not wear the paint off. i think there more sleek looking. not to mention you have more programming options that i liked, and easy to programm via a computer. i also have a td39 that i want to put in the back window and i also built led lighted bed rails with 911ep led stars on the end of the bed rails that i need to hook up yet to the reverse lights and a switch so they come on in reverse. or maybe ill just hook them up so the come on with the bar. they will be for backing into traffic when i plow.

so i got a 54" whelen bar so the pads would fit closer to the edge of the roof. but i do notice alot more wind noise with the whelen liberty bar. ya its a ok bar. but when i find a 60" millennium the whelen bar is comeing off and being replaced. but i may never find a 60" bar.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chuck_raduenz said:
oh. looks good tho................

Thanks man, was hoping you would see my thread! Mines just the 49" too.. i would love a 60", especially a 60" tow version. I'm sure they probably only made one since they seem to be hard to find, but its fun to dream...

And I REALLY want to upgrade these takedowns and alley lights... But I'm sure that's more work than I want to do!

I will get around to it.

I believe I have seen a pic of your truck with the Millennium on it, on plowsite.com???? :undecided:

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
you know you can turn any millennium into a tow bar.....

yes you are correct. im on plowsite. iv got pictures all over. including my custum switch pannel that im proud of in my 2500 pickup

not to bad to change over. just need to notch out the alum braket that holds the takedown light. cut a new alum angle bracket so the lights fit in the takedown spot.the ally lights are evon less work. just the braket and adapter plug. but i made an adapter plug so it will plug into the oem millenium plugs and the new alley/takedown lights. i didnt want to cut anything and once i got all the parts it took me a few hrs but what a differance. bright ass daylight and it wont melt spots in the endcaps.........

i have 4 plugs laying around as i was gona do it to the next millennium that i got and was hopeing it would be a 60". i also wanted to add extra led stars under the endcaps like iv seen on other millenniums.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chuck_raduenz said:
you know you can turn any millennium into a tow bar.....

yes you are correct. im on plowsite. iv got pictures all over. including my custum switch pannel that im proud of in my 2500 pickup

not to bad to change over. just need to notch out the alum braket that holds the takedown light. cut a new alum angle bracket so the lights fit in the takedown spot.the ally lights are evon less work. just the braket and adapter plug. but i made an adapter plug so it will plug into the oem millenium plugs and the new alley/takedown lights. i didnt want to cut anything and once i got all the parts it took me a few hrs but what a differance. bright ass daylight and it wont melt spots in the endcaps.........

i have 4 plugs laying around as i was gona do it to the next millennium that i got and was hopeing it would be a 60". i also wanted to add extra led stars under the endcaps like iv seen on other millenniums.

I might tackle the takedowns and alleys someday. for now, I'm enjoying having it up there! I really like the way it sits, as you can see my truck has the roof markers (clearance lights) and the Millennium sits above them, and can be seen well, but at the same time is low profile:thumbsup:

I actually run a computer in my truck (well, haven't installed yet in this truck but it was in my last truck) so I will be able to program it right from the truck (I hope, computer in the truck runs windows 7)

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
millennium software wont work on win 7. iv tryed to get it to work without luck many times. win vista it take a bit more tinkering to get it to work and xp it works with no problems.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chuck_raduenz said:
millennium software wont work on win 7. iv tryed to get it to work without luck many times. win vista it take a bit more tinkering to get it to work and xp it works with no problems.

Well, I have the software loaded onto this computer (my home desktop) which runs XP, and can probably lengthen the cable to go outside. Where does it connect?

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
i also like the adjustable feet. i have a set on the millennium i have this way you can have it sit higher, lower ot ajust the aim of the takedowns or the bar itself....

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
db9 port on back of the desk top. laptop you will need a usb-serial adapter. if you want to exstend it you could use cat5 cable or take the computer/screen/keyboard outside......

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chuck_raduenz said:
db9 port on back of the desk top. lap top you will need a usb-serial adapter. if you want ot exstend it you could use c5 cable or take the computer/screen/keyboard outside......

No i meant the lightbar end...

I have easy access to cat5 (my dads a cable guy:D )

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
uh oh. older, smaller CID box. No port. unless, its, in the cid?

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
nope not inside. um ya if you have a older cid box. ya thats a bit of a issue then.....

ai205.photobucket.com_albums_bb182_l_e_d_lightinmn_DSC01177.jpg

if it dont look like that then ya....... un software is of no use.... i have however not tryed "swapping the older style for a newer style cid" and see if that worked. i however cant see why not.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
just one quest did u fuse that battery cable ,it doesnt seem like it and you should def get one on there within in 18" of battery connection

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
carguy411 said:
just one quest did u fuse that battery cable ,it doesnt seem like it and you should def get one on there within in 18" of battery connection

Its an Amplifier install cable. Has a fuse. If you look in the pic, after the cable comes off the battery, and loops up, the last part of it you see has the black part on it... That's where its fused

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chuck_raduenz said:
nope not inside. um ya if you have a older cid box. ya thats a bit of a issue then.....
ai205.photobucket.com_albums_bb182_l_e_d_lightinmn_DSC01177.jpg

if it dont look like that then ya....... un software is of no use.... i have however not tryed "swapping the older style for a newer style cid" and see if that worked. i however cant see why not.

How many versions of the CID were made? Its like I've seen 3 different types.. And of course, I just bought a Programming kit from you.... Didn't realize it was you!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Hmm, I guess I have only seen two kinds. Anyways, Chuck, do you have any of those CIDs?

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
there are 3 types that im aware of. yours is the first type. the second type is seen in the picture and the last type look like the one in the picture but has a relay output. the relay out put it hooked to a relay that kills power to the millennium when not in use. it was supose to solve issues when it would not shut off.

sorry i dont have any. they are programmable i guess. unless there is a programm port on the inside somewhere.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Well its weird, cause theres a wire for programming mode? on my CID? but Im not sure how to program it, Its godda be programmable somehow...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chuck_raduenz said:
are you talking computer/software or just the flash patterns like a tir3?

Well according to the CID install guide (with a different CID pictured I now see) the spot #12 for a wire is for programming

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
chuck_raduenz said:
so now i wonder how in the world you would connect the programming cable to it to change everything via the computer.

We will discover the secret Chuck, We will.... If I get a chance, I am going to pop my CID apart. the red LED in it is bent under the cover anyway, so it seems like its been apart before

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Theres a small following for these lightbars, Somebody has to create a stockpile of information...Might as well be fans like us! :D

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
360 i think you took his comment the wrong way. I referred to us as in him and i, he agreed since nobody else seems to care about the lightbar. Chuck is sort of my inspiration, as he too, is a great fan of the millennium.

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
how do you figure that. as seems evryone hates that bar not to mention i see ALOT of comments: "ITS NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH", "WATCH OUT THEY START ON FIRE", "THERE A PAPER WEIGHT", "DONT GET THAT". so i dont see how my comment is unproductive when its based on what comments iv seen. granted the one comment about the millennium starting on fire is not true as that was for the galaxy bar, as i seen the pictures of it where it was chared. now the galaxy bar is a pile of junk. iv seen way more issues with that than the millennium bar. iv seen issues with the millennium bar where people havent had the segments tight so they leak and lead to issues, or end caps cracked and turns into a fish bowl.

but just wait. ill bet someone will have a negive thought anyways. mine isent a negitive though just based on what other people have said....

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
7d9_z28 said:
360 i think you took his comment the wrong way. I referred to us as in him and i, he agreed since nobody else seems to care about the lightbar. Chuck is sort of my inspiration, as he too, is a great fan of the millennium.

perfect! to a "T"

chuck_raduenz

Jun 14, 2010
eden valley mn
yes im a BIG fan. have been since i seen them here in st. cloud mn. the birth place of them. when i seen them i wanted one. that was round 2001ish if i rember. but i didnt know who made them tell 2003 when i worked for spee dee delivery and seen where they were made. and in 2005 i got into police installs then and found out alot of info on them, some of it learning on my own. iv since then dealed in millennium parts. buy and sell. fix and sell. and help repair. i also did color changes in the bar for storm chasers and a few police deptments. if the millennium bar wasnt discontinued in 05 they would still be a great bar. there was great room for improvements. and when i found out they were gona stop making them i sent the company a long letter saying that it was a bad idea to do that.... they were the top of the line in there time and the first in the led lightbars. for improvements they could have made led take down and alley lights. used brighter leds and changed there optics. not to mention changeing a led module in the bar was awsome. especily since to change a center led in a whelen bar is alot of work, and a tomar blade is a joke... only took a few mins to change a led in a millennium....

the millennium was also thin and less noticeable. the only thing that would really say it was a officer was the crownvic..... other than that it looked like a roof rack. the millennium also has less wind drag and noise. i can say that first hand due to me haveing a millennium on my old truck. couldnt notice it was on there. my new truck 04 2500 i couldnt find a 60" milllennium to fit the roof better so i hada get my 2nd choise that was a liberty bar that has alot more noise in the wind..... if i find a 60" millennium that liberty bar is comeing off. i also hate programming the libety bar. it was so much nicer just hooking up a computer setting what you want and your done. its like going from driveing truck your whole life to a geo metro.......

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Im going to try and work with Chuck, and Zapp Brannigan seems to have a small passion for the Millennium as well, and try to develop a "database" if you will, for other fans. Theres not a whole lot of information out there regarding this light, so hopefully we can change that!

Millenniums forever! :D :cool: :yes: :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KI_CopCar

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.