2001 GMC Sierra Tornado Research Truck with some extra lights for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
HILO said:
Doing some work for a vfd? That does not sound like you are a ff or ems. If you are authorized for the red light in Texas, you are authorized for red, blue, clear lights and a siren. Obviously your not, so the red lights in the back are illegal.

I've checked with numerous law enforcement, around here and with Highway Patrol, I've been told amber only to the front, and Amber/Red to the rear, as long as its a combination of Red/Amber. I was told that the red would be considered as a hazard light when i'm stopped which is when I use red I'm pretty sure it says Red or Amber or a color between red and amber can be used for a hazard light? (i could be wrong). I'm not trying to argue just trying to understand is all, I've not had any legal issues with the Red since its only used when I'm stopped anyways.

I will agree there a few more lights than needed, however I've got them set up with a CenCom unit now, and have complete control of them and use what I need depending on the situation. Most the times while chasing I'll use the TAM85 only, unless I'm with the group then I might use a few more lights if people are out of their vehicles. The red is only used if i'm stopped and they're needed. The lightbar is used while driving, but in terms of chasing, we have to be in at least a Severe T-storm Warned area.

Last edited by a moderator:

bwheelz05

Aug 9, 2011
AZ/CO
mixerbd699 said:
I agree with AZEMT, but what i think most are missing is what i said at the beginning. I don't use ALL the lights at the same time. They're all controlled in small groups, i use what ever i think is best at the time and place. If im some where and i need to make sure im seen farther away then i'll use the bar and the rear leds but with out the T/A. Usually when im chasing i use my front leds and my rear one but with the T/A im thinking ill put it on flash and maybe use the bar with it. I agree is a lot of lighting for chasing (hence why i don't use it all at the same time) I only had them all on for the sake of the video. Like i said i do some VFD work and honestly part of it is I like having the loads of lighting just for the hell of it. Some people lift truck some super tune em...i make mine pretty with leds, but i don't run them all at the same time is the point.

Howdy fellas. Just took a look at this post while browsing around and am going to have to agree with the majority here in saying I believe its overdone. I too am a NOAA SKYWARN spotter

** (Which is recognized by NOAA as an actual group of TRAINED AND CERTIFIED Severe weather spotters... We don’t like or use the term 'Storm Chasers' or ‘tornado chasers’.. That can be construed as a bad term. Some might go at it thinking that 'Chasers' are adrenaline junkies who get kicks out of seeing a tornado. Although actual spotters will know that in any one season to see ONE tornado is lucky. Not all storms produce tornadoes and there is much more to being a ‘spotter’ than; “Oh my gosh! I wanna see a tornader! WHOO WHOO!! Here we GO! FLASHY LIGHTS ENGAGED!” A SKWARN spotters goal is to give an advance warning to the public as the on the ground 'eyes'. Doppler radar including the upcoming Doppler 3 variant cannot 'see' what’s on the ground. Spotters relay the real-time, on the ground information to NOAA. So out the gate my friend, it sounds like you might be overdoing it. Not harping on you though okay?)**

And I am also a firefighter. I have been on the career and volunteer side of the fire service for 10 years plus. So I know the realms of being a SKYWARN spotter and a firefighter.

I would simply like to caution you as I have come across “storm chasers” in Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and Texas who have decked out lights on their cars and even those who seem to think its okay to DRIVE with lights on.(Not saying you do)

My opinion is that being loaded up on lights is a yahoo thing. Matter of fact the Kansas and Colorado state police are and have been cracking down on “storm Chasers” who are found using any form of emergency lighting (besides four way caution lights) even if they are stationary on the side of the road or even OFF the road, maybe on the shoulder or in a grassy patch. I have also on TWO occasions, once in Texas and once in Colorado responded to MVA’s involving ‘Storm Chasers’ whose vehicles either blinded/confused or distracted another driver because they were looking at the Christmas tree lights. *One MVA was fatal, the Storm chasers car was hit by another motorist and both vehicles collided into the unsuspecting ‘Storm /Tornado Chaser’ as he was taking video, didn’t know what hit him ... ... ...literally.*

So besides the legality of the lights being used (Even in an OFFICIAL capacity. NOAA or any other ‘agency’ will likely not back a person up if they are ticketed or worse for using emergency lights regardless of color.. yes.. even amber)

And even as a volunteer firefighter(orcareer), I would caution anybody against using their lights to “chase storms”. Why? Well I have a term called being a “WOO WHOO” a ‘WOO WHOO’ is a person who either is or claims to be a firefighter or EMS or what not; who LOVES “cherries and berries”.. Someone who simply LOVES to go down that road with lights going and siren activated. Anyone who has been in the emergency service knows what a “Woo WHOO” is and probably could do without them around. (just saying)

Also, What if a person was storm chasing and they WERE also a firefighter but caused an accident and it was determined that the emergency lights played a role in the accident and the ‘Storm Chaser’ in their statement when asked why they have lights says “Well, I am a firefighter. My fire department lets me use them” … and the other party gets a copy of the statement and sees that you claimed to to be a FF and then becomes sue happy against the department and there defense might be “ So you folks let your firefighters have lights and chase storms? Where is the immediate emergency? Was your firefighter chasing storms on the behalf of the fire department?”

So see that could cause some issues. You might want to consider downplaying the bricks of light and find a safe spot off to the side of the road OR even better; in a nice safe parking lot and ‘Storm Chase’ from there. For some who use emergency lights for ‘Storm chasing’ it can become pretty convincing to think “Shoot the storm front is moving farther away.. can I catch up to it? Hmmm looks like people are noticing my lights and slowing down and looking… boy it seems enticing if maybe I drive a little farther down the road and people move out of my way… hmmm Boy then they can react to my lights! “

Believe me I have come across fellow ‘Chasers’ and have heard wild stories about how they just couldn’t hold themselves back from driving a little farther down the road with the lights on just to see peoples reaction. BE careful. You don’t want a law enforcement officer to catch you.

All in all use the four ways that came with your vehicle and leave the lights to actual code 3 runs to the fire department or whatever capacity your department allows you to use them. Just some friendly advice. :)

'

bwheelz05

Aug 9, 2011
AZ/CO
mixerbd699 said:
I've checked with numerous law enforcement, around here and with Highway Patrol, I've been told amber only to the front, and Amber/Red to the rear, as long as its a combination of Red/Amber. I was told that the red would be considered as a hazard light when i'm stopped which is when I use red I'm pretty sure it says Red or Amber or a color between red and amber can be used for a hazard light? (i could be wrong). I'm not trying to argue just trying to understand is all, I've not had any legal issues with the Red since its only used when I'm stopped anyways.

I will agree there a few more lights than needed, however I've got them set up with a CenCom unit now, and have complete control of them and use what I need depending on the situation. Most the times while chasing I'll use the TAM85 only, unless I'm with the group then I might use a few more lights if people are out of their vehicles. The red is only used if i'm stopped and they're needed. The lightbar is used while driving, but in terms of chasing, we have to be in at least a Severe T-storm Warned area.

Thats a negative ghost rider. You can NOT drive with the any lights on EVEN "but in terms of chasing, we have to be in at least a Severe T-storm Warned area.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
bwheelz05 said:
My opinion is that being loaded up on lights is a yahoo thing. Matter of fact the Kansas and Colorado state police are and have been cracking down on “storm Chasers” who are found using any form of emergency lighting (besides four way caution lights) even if they are stationary on the side of the road or even OFF the road, maybe on the shoulder or in a grassy patch. I have also on TWO occasions, once in Texas and once in Colorado responded to MVA’s involving ‘Storm Chasers’ whose vehicles either blinded/confused or distracted another driver because they were looking at the Christmas tree lights. *One MVA was fatal, the Storm chasers car was hit by another motorist and both vehicles collided into the unsuspecting ‘Storm /Tornado Chaser’ as he was taking video, didn’t know what hit him ... ... ...literally.*

So besides the legality of the lights being used (Even in an OFFICIAL capacity. NOAA or any other ‘agency’ will likely not back a person up if they are ticketed or worse for using emergency lights regardless of color.. yes.. even amber)

So even Joshua Wurman's DOW trucks with the amber lights would get a a citation that is a US Government funded vehicle by National Science Foundation? The amber lights are there for safety when off road with the radar operation going, what is wrong with that? The DOW is still technically a storm chaser vehicle, but a well government funded one.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Only 8 forward facing white lights...? Time to upgrade son... LoL

I have 16 to the front:

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_IMG_20110810_194033.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_IMG_20110810_194047.jpg

And I have 8 to the rear:

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_IMG_20110810_193601.jpg

But I am a little crazy... lol :bonk:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
25297d1309921005-intruder-recall-zombie-thread.jpg

And the red lights are still illegal.

I forgot all about this, and was reading it like it was a new thread, and actually was ready to post what I posted in Febuary.

bwheelz05

Aug 9, 2011
AZ/CO
K9Vic said:
So even Joshua Wurman's DOW trucks with the amber lights would get a a citation that is a US Government funded vehicle by National Science Foundation? The amber lights are there for safety when off road with the radar operation going, what is wrong with that? The DOW is still technically a storm chaser vehicle, but a well government funded one.

In part Doppler on Wheels is a STATE funded truck within the local NOAA arena. Funded by local government with meteorology GRANTS (including the one based out of Boulder,CO) Josh is a great guy and extremely educated and well versed in meteorology. If I recall correctly I think there are now 3 or four DOWS. (Actually I believe there is three) THE DOW trucks do not operate off-road.. even the f550 which is ‘mamma bear’ doesn’t go off road although it is much smaller and I am sure it could if you needed it to. AND not all the DOWS’ have lighting. Most is just SIMPLE :):AHEM:: SIMPLE) rotators.

BUT as far as the argument about amber lighting and weather its ‘ok’ or politically correct . MY OPINION IS: It generally it is not needed in the ‘Storm spotting’ scope of activities. Sure one could make the argument that it effectively ‘warns’ of ‘gives site’ of the ‘spotting vehicle’ so other motorists are warned about the presence but vehicle four way flashers do the same.

I am sure for special or oversized vehicles/trucks and so forth the need for some simple amber lighting might be appropriate but all in all… its up to each individual person. Overdoing it is more of a “HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME! HEY …. HEY!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!” than a humble “Please be advised of my vehicle over here”

But hey, if you want it; you like it; go for it  What ever makes one happy _

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
mixerbd699 said:

Here are links to the Texas transportation code in regards to lights. It is very cut and dry.

TRANSPORTATION CODE  CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

TRANSPORTATION CODE  CHAPTER 541. DEFINITIONS

So if you are a VFF, then yes, you can have red lights, to the front and rear, as it pertains to your duties as a VFF. storm cahsing counties away from your station does not afford you the privilage of red lights in Texas. And in reading the law, you will notice is does say equipped with, not while moving, or while on. Now if you have teh red lights set to simutanious flash not part of a pattern of a bar or with other lights, then yes you can fly the etra hazard signal excuse.

Wack on with your amber lights, it's your money, and you make whatever excuse you need, but ditch the red lights, leave them for the people authorized to use them.

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
mixerbd699 said:
The research stuff is covered by the group I go out with. within the next few days i should be joining up with the vortex 2 project.

I know Dr. Wurman personally as he has been a family friend for over 10 years... His team is established at the beginning of the season, so it is curious for you to say you will be "joining up with" them... Additionally, I know Josh has said they've been occasionally cited for illegal use of lights, but never on the DOW. I guess it's considered a "wide-load" (though I don't know if I buy into that much). That's the extent of what I know from talking to him in the past- I have little to no interest in storm chasing/spotting- just relaying info.

As far as the lights are concerned, the switch setup you have is reminiscent of a fighter jet/nuclear reactor...

gardenfreak1000

May 26, 2010
US Texas
so much hate on this board... :( first of all the law is sooo vauge in actual lightbar colors for citizens of Texas due to the fact lightbars are not standardized across Texas meaning no one has all the same lightbar. For citizens of Texas we assume amber because we dont wana cop pulling us over lol. So we know blue is illegal, green is illegal, and purple is illegal, but when you get to red its gets vauge quick. Unless they are expressly authorized by law vehicles they can run red front and to the sides and rear ex. firetrucks and cops and some construction and school buses. But as we read further it skips right to tow trucks where as they can only use red with brakes tailights ex. no front or side. by what I read from the law, I do not see word for word. ex: "citizens of Texas can use a lightbar with x amount of these colors to the rear of the vehicle." So if the Texas government law does not specifiy for ordinary citizens, then they can not control what citizens do with their OWN property. So to me lightbars in GENERAL for citizens in the law are classified in the "off road use only" catagory ex: parked on the side of the road not ON the road. Now if mixerbd699 is driving on the road he has to obey the colors of the road which means amber while driving which is what he does because he has the control to turn off red, EVEN though the law does not state about the use of red to the rear on a lightbar for Texas citizens. But if im stopped on the side of the road you bet your ass ill have the red on because motorists do not give a *bleep* who you are anyway they just run ya over at 80mph. thats my 25 cents.

cory y

May 21, 2010
Ok bud I don't know version of the transportation code you're looking at but its pretty cut and dry.

Green and purple lighting is not mentioned ANYWHERE I will guarntee that.

Also red white and blue lighting are reserved colors for AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLES ONLY. And nowhere does a storm spotter, tracker or any other word you wanna call a storm whaker is mention as an authorized emergency vehicle.

Before you go spewing information, make sure its at least a little bit credible.

gardenfreak1000

May 26, 2010
US Texas
if its so cut and dry label the code, its article and its clause cause I dont see your credibility either! I want to see the law word for word sentence by sentence. By the way storm spotters help save the lives of people like you who hide in your closet. So dont throw first responders like us into the garbage of chasers.

cory y

May 21, 2010
[sTREET][/sTREET]

gardenfreak1000 said:
if its so cut and dry label the code, its article and its clause cause I dont see your credibility either! I want to see the law word for word sentence by sentence. By the way storm spotters help save the lives of people like you who hide in your closet. So dont throw first responders like us into the garbage of chasers.

Really newbie, you wanna come after me with out knowing me?

Storm Chasers ARE NOT FIRST RESPONDERS

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS.
(a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(
B) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

© A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

Sec. 541.201. VEHICLES. In this subtitle:
(1) "Authorized emergency vehicle" means:

(A) a fire department or police vehicle;

( B) a public or private ambulance operated by a person who has been issued a license by the Texas Department of Health;

© a municipal department or public service corporation emergency vehicle that has been designated or authorized by the governing body of a municipality;

(D) a private vehicle of a volunteer firefighter or a certified emergency medical services employee or volunteer when responding to a fire alarm or medical emergency;

(E) an industrial emergency response vehicle, including an industrial ambulance, when responding to an emergency, but only if the vehicle is operated in compliance with criteria in effect September 1, 1989, and established by the predecessor of the Texas Industrial Emergency Services Board of the State Firemen's and Fire Marshals' Association of Texas;

(F) a vehicle of a blood bank or tissue bank, accredited or approved under the laws of this state or the United States, when making emergency deliveries of blood, drugs, medicines, or organs; or

(G) a vehicle used for law enforcement purposes that is owned or leased by a federal governmental entity.

there you go Chapter and Verse Straight from the transportation code.

If you fulful those requirements thent thats all fine and dandy

however i didnt find ANY mention of storm chasers ANYWHERE.

I shall be awaiting your Reply.

and FYI i was a traffic cop in texas. I KNOW the Transportation code like the back of my hand

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
gardenfreak1000 said:
QTPE, and you are not a first responder. Saying you are after calling yourself a storm spotter just ruined any chance of redemption.

Texas Code Title 7 Section 547.305 (b) said:
( B) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not
operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police

vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible

from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

Texas Code Title 7 Section 547.305 © said:
© A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a
red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless

the equipment is:

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn

signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

Texas Code Title 7 Section 547.305 (d) said:
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting
equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the

vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the

front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to

other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement

officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a

disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals

and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322,

547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

Texas Code 7 Section 547.331 said:
(a) A vehicle may be
equipped with lamps to warn other vehicle operators of a

vehicular traffic hazard that requires unusual care in

approaching, overtaking, or passing.

( B) The lamps shall be:

(1)

mounted at the same level and spaced as widely apart as

practicable on the front and on the rear of the vehicle

; and

(2) visible at a distance of at least 500 feet in normal

sunlight.

© The lamps shall display simultaneously flashing lights that

emit:

(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber,

if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or

(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if

the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

And then basically all of Chapter 546 should be read. Basically, unless you are an authorized emergency vehicle, fuck off.

EDIT: Glargh cory ninja'd me >.<

EDIT: As for green and purple, usually that is disallowed by stating that "alternatively flashing lamps cannot be used except for as expressly permitted in this chapter", and then only adding provisions for red/blue/amber/clear.

gardenfreak1000

May 26, 2010
US Texas
newbie? ive been on this board since the old site i just havent had time to get on the new one.

second you gave me broad paragraphs of of the law i have read over many of times.

B) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

that is the only phrase that comes close to what im refering to and it says viewed from the front of the center not the rear

so you still have no real answer, im waiting for proof on the terms of a lightbar's color in the rear of a moving vehicle.

cory y

May 21, 2010
gardenfreak1000 said:
newbie? ive been on this board since the old site i just havent had time to get on the new one.
second you gave me broad paragraphs of of the law i have read over many of times.

that is the only phrase that comes close to what im refering to and it says viewed from the front of the center not the rear

so you still have no real answer, im waiting for proof on the terms of a lightbar's color in the rear of a moving vehicle.

ok then what about this little section:

© A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

what part of "A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light "

do you not understand

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Cory you beat me to the reply with the code.

Amazing that a newbie is going to question a senior member with no research as to who they are.

As for storm chasers, I know Fort Worth has ticketed them for illegal red lights and this is from the person who got the ticket who told me this. I also know that cities like Plano, Allen and Garland will cite for illegal lighting on non authorized vehicles. Storm chasers can only have amber lights, however there is no restriction in Texas on Green & Purple but I would not recommend it. There is no need for any more amber lights than a beacon light. My video I posted on the first page goes over this subject very well. I am certified Skywarn and only used an amber beacon when the road was flooded and Fort Worth Police authorized me to help block the road.

Anyways, I need to go do some real work.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
gardenfreak1000 said:
doesnt say lightbar, and an alternating light could mean anything from blinkers off a tractor to makeshift towing lights
Except that these are covered in other parts of the code that pertain to farm equipment and towing respectively.

And if you seriously are trying that, you are dumber than I thought. The only state I know to mention lightbars specifically in their code is my state of PA, and even then it's just for VFF/amber requirements.

cory y said:
what part of "A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light "

do you not understand
The part in english, obviously.

gardenfreak seems to be such an idiot that I just blanked my ignore list just for him!

cory y

May 21, 2010
gardenfreak1000 said:
doesnt say lightbar, and an alternating light could mean anything from blinkers off a tractor to makeshift towing lights

EXACTLY. because what does a lightbar contain? oh wait.. Flashing or rotating lights.... think before you type storm chaser

doublefacepalm.jpg

facepalm-3.jpg

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
gardenfreak1000 said:

Wow, freaking amazing how supid you are. Read the entire code, it clarifies everything on a vehicle as to what is allowed front and rear. It does not matter if the lenses are clear with colored LEDs. Try installing a red, red & white, blue & blue or red & blue light bar and drive trough Plano.

I am sure this is a Troll, because on one can be that stupid. So I am done now.......

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
SIMAEVLMAO!

Sitting in my authorized emergency vehicle, lol' my ass off!

gardenfreak1000

May 26, 2010
US Texas
its obviously apparent you people dont understand the situation and im tired of trying to explain it... so im going to be the mature one and bow out and let you have your win now

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
image.php

awww_itusozluk_com_img_php_aabe4fa28a6b9d7f8a8e4b536327806d31729_troll_detected_.gif

cory y

May 21, 2010
gardenfreak1000 said:
its obviously apparent you people dont understand the situation and im tired of trying to explain it... so im going to be the mature one and bow out and let you have your win now

are you frwaking kidding me?

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
gardenfreak1000 said:
so much hate on this board... :( first of all the law is sooo vauge in actual lightbar colors for citizens of Texas due to the fact lightbars are not standardized across Texas meaning no one has all the same lightbar. For citizens of Texas we assume amber because we dont wana cop pulling us over lol. So we know blue is illegal, green is illegal, and purple is illegal, but when you get to red its gets vauge quick. Unless they are expressly authorized by law vehicles they can run red front and to the sides and rear ex. firetrucks and cops and some construction and school buses. But as we read further it skips right to tow trucks where as they can only use red with brakes tailights ex. no front or side. by what I read from the law, I do not see word for word. ex: "citizens of Texas can use a lightbar with x amount of these colors to the rear of the vehicle." So if the Texas government law does not specifiy for ordinary citizens, then they can not control what citizens do with their OWN property. So to me lightbars in GENERAL for citizens in the law are classified in the "off road use only" catagory ex: parked on the side of the road not ON the road. Now if mixerbd699 is driving on the road he has to obey the colors of the road which means amber while driving which is what he does because he has the control to turn off red, EVEN though the law does not state about the use of red to the rear on a lightbar for Texas citizens. But if im stopped on the side of the road you bet your ass ill have the red on because motorists do not give a *bleep* who you are anyway they just run ya over at 80mph. thats my 25 cents.

It's people with twisted mindsets like you that provide me with job security. Heartfelt thanks from me & my family!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I am always amazed at how people can say that the Texas transportation code is vauge about light colors, and what joe citizen can or can not have. It has always been clear to me, with one exception, construction/ TXDOT vehicles. TXDOT is allowed amber/blue for construction vehicles, and even red to the rear for supervisor vehicles. It is also TXDOT policy that a company who is contracted to work with TXDOT on road projects can have amber blue lights. Though I've never found the actual wording in the transportation code, the provision for TXDOT are as follow,

Sec. 547.105. MAINTENANCE AND SERVICE EQUIPMENT LIGHTING STANDARDS. (a) The Texas Department of Transportation shall adopt standards and specifications that:

(1) apply to lamps on highway maintenance and service equipment, including snow-removal equipment; and

(2) correlate with and conform as closely as possible to standards and specifications approved by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.

( B) The Texas Department of Transportation may adopt standards and specifications for lighting that permit the use of flashing lights for identification purposes on highway maintenance and service equipment, including snow-removal equipment.

© The standards and specifications adopted under this section are in lieu of the standards and specifications otherwise provided by this chapter for lamps on vehicles.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

I dont remember when this study was done, very late 90's I think. No mention of storm chasers or alternating warning lights on tractors.

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/circulars/ec013/1CUllman.pdf

Even with the vauge, but not really, area of blue lights on State or State contractor vehicles, red lights that are not Stop, tail, or turn lights are illegal on any vehicle not specificly defined in the previously mentioned transportation code.

So with the transportation codes, (Texas State Law if your confused) is there any more confusion as to red and blue light being illegal?

May 21, 2010
NJ &amp; IA
gardenfreak1000 said:

And I quote

red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light

A lightbar flashes. Otherwise it would be a solid bar of light which would confuse people. I do not recall a gardenfreak on the old site. Which user name did you go by back then?

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
Some of y'all should go back to the original post and see what was typed I CLEARLY acknowledged there was more lighting than needed, but I also said I DO NOT use them all at once in any situation. We can sit here and burn and blast and try and decide what the law says. You don't know what I use them for or how I use them. A number of y'all are assuming I'm just being some moron with lights. I know very well there is more than enough lighting on the truck for the 1000th time to those who can't read. I do not plan on every trying to act like or try to blast through traffic with the lights, more times than not they're off till I'm stopped on the side of the road. So get over the law debate, I've had no issues and have never conducted myself in a manner that would warrant getting in any trouble. I"m not like some people who load their car up with lights and act like an idiot.

As for those knocking "chasers" and all that, You don't know me or anything I do so just stop trying to talk out of your ass. I take "storm chasing" as a very serious thing. I'm not in it for money like Reed Timmer or those who are on the "Storm Chasers" TV show. I have a passion for meteorology and helping people. I'm out to see meteorology in action as well as do what I can to alert and keep the public safe. I"m sorry that there are jackasses that go out now and act like idiots and make skywarn, and any other chaser trying to do good a bad name.

I'd like to get back on topic, not sit and debate the laws, I know what they say and I'll take what they say as I wish, I started this thread to get some thoughts on the lights used and I know there are a few too many, but as I said they're not all used at the same time. I like having options and doing what I can to be safe from other idiots on the road. I don't think thats a crime or anything. I know some of y'all who replied are just trying to answer the questions and to those I thank you. As for the few who got on here and started name calling and all that...grow up and stop being "trolls" yourself and just have some respect for others views.

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
EMT said:
I know Dr. Wurman personally as he has been a family friend for over 10 years... His team is established at the beginning of the season, so it is curious for you to say you will be "joining up with" them... Additionally, I know Josh has said they've been occasionally cited for illegal use of lights, but never on the DOW.

As far as the lights are concerned, the switch setup you have is reminiscent of a fighter jet/nuclear reactor...

EMT: Joining up with them, I couldn't go out on the exact start date of the project, thus I had to join up with the crew on the road. I'm well aware of the inner workings of CSWR and how they do things. I'm sure I'll be back out there with them spring 2012.

The jet fighter switches are actually for my fog lights, and various chasing stuff in the truck (power supply, Threatnet unit, radios and what not)

they're in the movie just because I thought some would think it was a cool switching idea.

bwheelz05 said:
What 'Storm Chasing agency' are you affiliated with? Def not SKYWARN.

Skywarn is not an "agency" at least not around here so I"m not sure what that has to do with anything. What i said about it needing to be a severe t-storm warning had to do with when the lights are used. They're not on at any point unless i'm in a severe warned area. (you figure in a severe warned area its likely that there are more chasers in that area. I don't use the lights for a "yahoo" thing, as I stated CLEARLY in the original post, not all the lights are use at one time. When chasing the T/A and the back 4 inner strobes in the bar are the most commonly used. I do use the full bar if I'm pulling a U-turn or something in an area that I want to make sure I'm seen. I hate chaser convergence, so I limit light usage. I'll be chasing for two NBC stations starting this fall

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
mixerbd699 said:
I'll be chasing for two NBC stations starting this fall

It's been established you know nothing about lighting use, or laws. I dont know enough about storm chasers except to roll my eyes at them, so I have no idea if your failing at that as well. Now storm chasing for NBC? Two stations at that? Come on dude. There are some of us here that do know how the local news stations operate. We even have a stringer in DFW on this board. NBC which is KXAS in the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex, does not pay, insure, or contract with storm chasers. None of the DFW network affiliates do. They all have scanners, and ham radios, and doppler radar, and staff photo journalists in vehicles. Further more, network affiliates share video across the country. Hence the word affiliate. So if KXAS has a good shoot of a rainbow, KFOR will show it. If KAMR gets a tornado rolling across the panhandle, they will share it with KFDF. So there would be no need for two NCB affiliates to pay the same person. Sometiems they will buy video if it is really good, and no one else has anything like it. But with the amount of people with cell phone cams, those days are pretty much over. for the Joplin storms, people were sending video into all the networks for 5 days.

And why do you need lights to follow storms for tv?

What else you got?

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
HILO said:
It's been established you know nothing about lighting use, or laws. I dont know enough about storm chasers except to roll my eyes at them, so I have no idea if your failing at that as well. Now storm chasing for NBC? Two stations at that? Come on dude. There are some of us here that do know how the local news stations operate. We even have a stringer in DFW on this board. NBC which is KXAS in the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex, does not pay, insure, or contract with storm chasers. None of the DFW network affiliates do. They all have scanners, and ham radios, and doppler radar, and staff photo journalists in vehicles. Further more, network affiliates share video across the country. Hence the word affiliate. So if KXAS has a good shoot of a rainbow, KFOR will show it. If KAMR gets a tornado rolling across the panhandle, they will share it with KFDF. So there would be no need for two NCB affiliates to pay the same person. Sometiems they will buy video if it is really good, and no one else has anything like it. But with the amount of people with cell phone cams, those days are pretty much over. for the Joplin storms, people were sending video into all the networks for 5 days.

And why do you need lights to follow storms for tv?

What else you got?

You are wrong, in fact most the news stations here in DFW do have storm tracking teams that are paying positions. KXAS does and has been for a number of years. You don't even know what you're saying. Both NBC in Dallas and Wichita Falls are having me chase for them, so they have someone with live video feed and to get reports from if they're paying you hourly its so the can use the video rather than paying you a huge amount for your video, so you might want to check your facts. You didn't really read what I've said in the first place, I enjoy wiring the lights up on my truck wether or not I use them on the road is my business. I'm using the amber while I'm pulled over on the side of the road. Thanks to a few people who can't read y'all just threw me under the bus based off assumptions and stuff. So get back on topic since people can't read and respect the fact I have a passion for lighting like everyone else here.

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
Since it seems no one understands what I'm saying here is a video of what I use while chasing. the only time the rest of the lightbar is on is when I feel it is needed for safety while on the side of the road, I don't see how thats an issue.

The TAM85 is on flash and i forgot to turn it on split but you get the idea.

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I've decided with the lack of respect and people talking with lack of knowledge of the chasing world I'm closing this thread. I see no use for it continuing I understand what the law says and I will make changes that I feel are needed. I'd rather go back to working on bars for my collection and not trying to defend myself to people who don't know me or exactly what they're saying. Thanks to those who provided useful comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.