2002 Chevy Impala - Fire Police POV

bbqsauce86

New Member
Dec 21, 2010
13
Northampton County, PA, USA
Hi everyone,


I posted before about moving my existing lighting from my 1998 Ford Explorer to my 2002 Chevy Impala. We've begun work on the Impala, and so far we've only moved a small amount of the gear over.


So here's what's in it so far:

  • Code 3 V-CON siren (pursuit and 4 aux switches)
  • Code 3 Z100 siren speaker
  • SVP Mini Phantom ULB9-RR dash light
  • Whelen Competitor hide-aways
  • Whelen TIR3 (red)


    And here's what I still have to put in:
    Kenwood TK-8180 UHF mobile radio (antenna's mounted on the driver's side fender)
  • Kenwood TK-7160 VHF mobile (antenna's mounted on the passenger side fender)
  • Streamlight Stinger LED DC flashlight charger
  • Motorola RLN4883A portable radio charger



And stuff that I haven't purchased yet that I want to put in:


[*]Sho-Me Chameleon LED arrow stick (red/amber)


[*]Whelen Mirror-Mount Linear-8 LED warning lights


[*]Whelen TIR3 LED heads for the side accent windows (behind the back seat windows)


And I still don't think I have enough side warning.


As you watch the video, you'll note that I say that "it's all powered by a cig plug." I misspoke. The cig plug serves as a power switch to a relay, and the actual power rides over a 12-2 run to the power distribution block.


This is still a work in progress, but I'd be open to any suggestions.


Any thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
May 22, 2010
787
Columbiana County, Ohio
Advice:


2- TIR6 PimpPods (From ELB member Pimp :hail: ) on the sides of the push bumper


2- TIR6 PimpPods on the back deck


2- TIR3 PimpPods on the rear licenes plate


With tinted windows in the rear TIR's will beat Liner hands down every time !


Make sure your wiring is clean and safe ... besides that looks good so far, keep us posted.
 

gman021

Member
Dec 8, 2010
648
CT
why does linear lose to tir3/6?


But yes you do need some lights in the back. Maybe a d8 and pimp pods on the license plates
 

911

New Member
May 22, 2010
3,834
New York City
linear doesnt penetrate tint as well as tir, its the optics that makes the difference.


the impala looks good !!! nice and neat so far.......


ark, how much is pimp paying you? every post you make, you refer them to buy pimp pods or microman lol, you have a 1 track mind :weird:
 

91101

New Member
Jan 23, 2011
1
pa
:crazy: Just wondering if you're an undercover cop and that's a dept vehcile or maybe you're a Fire Chief, or FP Line Officer ?? Help me out here.


:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
 
May 25, 2010
7,072
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I would also suggest taking off the pushbar... I've never really liked them on a police car, nevermind on a civilian car...
 

JJ7850

Member
May 26, 2010
83
Pennsylvania
Just 1 question, howd you pull off getting a PA emergency vehicles license plate? You said that this is your vehicle so im assuming you own it, and to get that kind of plate your vehicle would have to be owned and registered to your fire department. Just curious.
 

bbqsauce86

New Member
Dec 21, 2010
13
Northampton County, PA, USA
DaveCN5 said:
Suggestion #1: Stop trying to make it look like a police car.
Haha. My thought with this vehicle was "Well, I have an old cop car. Let's do it up." So, guilty as charged.

theroofable said:
Does fire police in pa use red? Just wondering since regular fire uses blue.
In PA, red light privilege is given to fire chiefs, assistant chiefs, fire police captain and lieutenant, and ambulance captain and lieutenant.

91101 said:
:crazy: Just wondering if you're an undercover cop and that's a dept vehcile or maybe you're a Fire Chief, or FP Line Officer ?? Help me out here.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm a fire police captain.

HPD84 said:
Clean Impala! Something cheap and effective to add to your Impala, a TLF and HLF. The Whelen Plug n Play are cheap and i might have some around;)
I'm already planning on putting a HLF in, but I've never been a huge fan of the TLFs personally.

JJ7850 said:
Just 1 question, howd you pull off getting a PA emergency vehicles license plate? You said that this is your vehicle so im assuming you own it, and to get that kind of plate your vehicle would have to be owned and registered to your fire department. Just curious.
In PA, the general rule is that if you are eligible for red light privilege, you are eligible for an EV license plate. Few people know that such an arrangement exists, but it consists of filling out a PennDOT MV-14EV, getting a letter signed by the chief or president of your department, and paying a couple of bucks. I was thinking about blanking out my plate for the video, but decided against it. Good eye!
 

theroofable

Member
May 23, 2010
1,379
New Jersey
Is the fire police department seperate from the fire department? No offense to you, but I would give the privalage of using reds and sirens to firemen before fire police. Is captain the highest rank or something? Just seems odd in my eyes, just because Im not used to it I guess. Other than that, I like it.
 

ISU_Cyclone

Member
May 21, 2010
1,447
SE Wisconsin, USA
theroofable said:
Is the fire police department seperate from the fire department? No offense to you, but I would give the privalage of using reds and sirens to firemen before fire police. Is captain the highest rank or something? Just seems odd in my eyes, just because Im not used to it I guess. Other than that, I like it.

Your house may burn down, but the street will be blocked off in good time!
 

theroofable

Member
May 23, 2010
1,379
New Jersey
Well if they're half as good as our police then they'll block off the road so we can't get through and park infront or behind of the trucks. Seriously though, firemen who pack up and run jaws should get the red lights and sirens, not the flag wavers. I don't know if your fire police has any other training, just going off of how it used to be here. I would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.
 

Rusted413

Member
May 25, 2010
265
Blacksburg, VA
How come you got rid of the excalibur (if I'm remembering your explorer correctly)? Seems to me that you'd want some more lighting coverage if your'e blocking roads etc.
 

bbqsauce86

New Member
Dec 21, 2010
13
Northampton County, PA, USA
ISU_Cyclone said:
Your house may burn down, but the street will be blocked off in good time!
Damn right, and we'll do it right the first time!

theroofable said:
Well if they're half as good as our police then they'll block off the road so we can't get through and park infront or behind of the trucks. Seriously though, firemen who pack up and run jaws should get the red lights and sirens, not the flag wavers. I don't know if your fire police has any other training, just going off of how it used to be here. I would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Yeah, a lot of FPOs out there just go out in the road and mess things up worse than they already are. I agree that qualified FFs should also run red warning lights with sirens, as they need to get there to put the wet stuff on the red stuff. I'm just there to protect them from the rampant stupidity that surrounds the scene.

dynastar666 said:
Steel wheels...seriously?
They came with the car. I'm not gonna complain.

Rusted413 said:
How come you got rid of the excalibur (if I'm remembering your explorer correctly)? Seems to me that you'd want some more lighting coverage if your'e blocking roads etc.
The main issues were power draw, mounting and appearance. Sure, it would look okay, but since I leave PA for business a lot, I'd rather not have any warning lights with a colored dome if I'm truly out of service for business.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
53,447
Messages
447,726
Members
18,883
Latest member
joecfd1

About Us

  • Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.