2002 Jeep Wrangler Install

Mrbaxter

Oct 16, 2013
Connecticut
Hi all, here is my 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. It is my daily driver, and i use it for station responses for the fire department (about 1 mile) and scene/station responses for the ambulance. In Connecticut, blue lights are for volunteer fire, and green are for volunteer ambulance. Both are courtesy lights, and do not require motorists to yield the right of way. We can have headlight flashers with permission from both the police chief and chief of our fire or EMS organization. Our town has chosen not to allow us to use HLFs. I chose not to use green lights as they are not widely recognized and typically lead to drivers slowing down in the road to stare and question, rather than move over.

I live away at college for 7 to 8 months a year so I didn't want to go crazy with the install. I didn't want to use a dash light because of how vertical the windshield is, and I didn't want to run the risk of damaging a light when I take the top off in the summer. The 7 slot grille doesn't offer much in the way of room, so I chose to use 2 vertically mounted Feniex T6s. I made custom brackets out of sheet metal and used rivets to connect the lights to the grille.

GLI2.jpg

GLI3.jpg

GLI4r.jpg

I used a standard rocker switch mounted next to the steering wheel to control the lights. The same style switch is on the right since of the steering column and controls the KC lights on the windshield.

GLI6.jpg

Here's the finished product. Working on videos for day and night.

GLI5.jpg

GLI7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Looks great. Perhaps something to consider since you don't want a dash light is feniex cannons in your windshield KCs. Might give you some good off axis as well as upper level warning.

Good fab though and good rig

Mrbaxter

Oct 16, 2013
Connecticut
Looks great. Perhaps something to consider since you don't want a dash light is feniex cannons in your windshield KCs. Might give you some good off axis as well as upper level warning.

Good fab though and good rig
Thanks for compliment. I considered doing cannons, I was just too afraid to drill into the KCs and I wasn't sure where I'd put the flasher.

A friend of mine has 2 triple threats in his 08 wrangler

I'll have to look into the triple threats. How's the flashback at night?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Thanks for compliment. I considered doing cannons, I was just too afraid to drill into the KCs and I wasn't sure where I'd put the flasher.
You don't have to worry about mounting a flasher ale where b/c it's built into the cannon cable.

The tripe threat is good & is waterproof. Any TIR style dash light will have flashback, but it is better on the wrangler when you put it right up against the windshield b/c of the 90 degree angle. Personally, I'd see if you could clip some ions on the hood of your jeep (essentially dash light level)

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
I'll have to look into the triple threats. How's the flashback at night?
The one on the lower dash is minimal, however the one on the visor there is a lot, that being said, he DOES NOT have a flashback shield installed on that one which would help tremendously...

BUT, for the price of a triple threat I think it would be more beneficial for you to talk to nick at feverinc.net about a cobra 400 or a model on that line, they're 4watt leds opposed to the 3watts in the triple threat, you can also have them with takedowns which you might like to use if you go off roading

VF-Wrangler06

May 16, 2012
United States, Georgia
I mounted a Whelen D6 into the recess of the Smittybilt XRC Bumper and a Cobra 800 with the Takedown option and it was both an exceptional emergency warning light, and the takedowns are very bright for off-road use. I managed to use the existing holes for the sun visors and just used a longer bolt to secure the visors on top of the light bracket and used a rubber flashing gasket to create a seal with the windshield. Wish I could get more pictures but the Wrangler is no longer "in service" as I like say. I had an old 911ep bar mounted to the windshield prior just self drilling screwed into the plastic trim above the windshield, and that worked, but flashback was definitely visible. I put surface mounted LAW's in white/clear in the ends of my bumper for intersection, and the flash actually lit my fenders slightly which gave them a really good viewing radius from the entrance of the intersection. 

Enough about mine, those brackets you fabbed are almost identical to the ones i used to put T6's on the rear lip of the body tub for side warning, so you definitely are on track for a good install. Looks clean and sticking with Feniex products gives you the most bang for your buck without the use of many lights. If you need help with side or rear lighting, I may have some videos, but keep updating as you go, it looks great!

jpbaker6

Jul 31, 2010
Bergen County NJ
I like the way you mounted the grill lights. I did get a a-pillar light switch panel from quadratec if you end up adding more so you don't have to drill holes

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Cobra 200 B/B on the dash and be done with it. It's a courtesy light state...why go nuts? Great work mounting the T6s....I miss my 06 Wrangler.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.