2003 Canberra, Australia Firestorm

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
I tried to watch that but only lasted a minuted of actual footage because it's too distressing.

I live just over the border from Canberra in Queanbeyan and that day I was at work in the suburb of Phillip. I remember the smell of smoke was all pervading, we were several kilometers from the fire front and the smoke was incredible. We finished work and all commented it didn't look good. Can't remember exactly when a disaster was declared but I remember most of my family decided to leave Canberra and head to the coast, my wife and I stayed as we were on the other side of Canberra. In saying that we were prepared to evacuate if required.

A couple of mates were on the front line, one was a vollie and the other was Fire Ops command. To say the fire storm has left a scar on Canberra, physically and emotionally, is an understatement. Even 10 years after the events people in Canberra are still affected.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
I tried to watch that but only lasted a minuted of actual footage because it's too distressing.

I live just over the border from Canberra in Queanbeyan and that day I was at work in the suburb of Phillip. I remember the smell of smoke was all pervading, we were several kilometers from the fire front and the smoke was incredible. We finished work and all commented it didn't look good. Can't remember exactly when a disaster was declared but I remember most of my family decided to leave Canberra and head to the coast, my wife and I stayed as we were on the other side of Canberra. In saying that we were prepared to evacuate if required.

A couple of mates were on the front line, one was a vollie and the other was Fire Ops command. To say the fire storm has left a scar on Canberra, physically and emotionally, is an understatement. Even 10 years after the events people in Canberra are still affected.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Hey, it's a natural process, it's just unfortunate that people's homes were in the way.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
lafd55 said:
Hey, it's a natural process, it's just unfortunate that people's homes were in the way.

This is true, none the less the events of that day highlighted a number of failings from an organizational point which either directly or indirectly resulted in the loss of life.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.