2003 Chevy Silverado POV - Strobes N More Lighting

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
I'm starting to do my install piece by piece and figured I'd document the process. All of the lighting planned for this vehicle is from Strobesnmore. While I feel the way they market their products and business leaves something to be desired, i.e. poor website design, consistent spelling and grammar errors throughout their website, etc., I'm happy with most of my purchases to date. I was originally attracted to the pricing of their rebranded products and was happy to find the products were of good quality and excellent brightness. Additionally, SNM seems to be a little slow in matching the big names with regards to features of their lights, but they're coming around and I think I'll use them to outfit my other vehicle as well.

I've got the following planned for this vehicle so far:

2 - SNM E6 (Red) in the Grill (They're installed, just not hooked up yet)

2 - SNM E6 Mini (Red/Clear) Front Bumper just under the Fender on each side for intersection warning.

1 - SNM E66 (Red/Clear) Headliner of Front Windshield

1 - SNM E66 Dual (Red Warning/Amber Traffic) Headliner in Back Window

2 - SNM E42 (Red/Clear) Top of Side Windows on Extended Cab

1 - SOS Taillight/Reverse Light Flasher

Still Thinking about...:

2 - SNM E6 or E4 (Red) in the lower grill maybe...

2 - SNM E4 (Red) or possibly 1 SNM E6 Mini in Red/Clear on a License Plate Bracket in the rear.

Here's a first look at the E66 Dual Color I'm test fitting in the headliner. It's going to be tight, but looks like it'll work out just fine. I'll actually be putting the E66 in Red/Clear here when I receive it and this bar will be going into the back window, but they're the same size so I figured I'd test the fit. :D

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
looks good. i like the idea of 2 E3's or E4's on the LP bracket. R/R

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Does that E66 have a shroud available to cut down on flashback?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks like a nice outline of solid 360 warning. I like your plan for everything proposed (except I don't like split lightheads, so I'd go with solid red lightheads for intersection warning), and I'd go with 1 Red and 1 Amber E4 on the rear LP. I'd definitely add a HLF, but I don't think you need to add another pair of grill lights.

Pyron said:
SNM seems to be a little slow in matching the big names with regards to features of their lights, but they're coming around and I think I'll use them to outfit my other vehicle as well.
Just remember that Louis isn't trying to become a top 3 and compete with Whelen, Fed Sig, etc. ;-) He's doing a good job of providing a basic line of quality warning

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
I would definitely suggest a headlight flasher, as well as two alternating (not split) amber lightheads in the rear, preferably in the rear window area for higher visibility.

Other than that, looks like a great start. Keep us posted on what you do!

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Thanks for the feedback. I probably will do a headlight flasher. Biggest bang for your buck really. And after taking a look at the back of it today, I probably will do 2 lights on a license plate bracket in back as there's plenty of room.

I will not, however, be doing any amber in any direction as an emergency warning light. I understand that some folks think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I feel that it should be reserved for non-emergency, informational type lighting. Is that guy plowing the road or responding to an emergency? No thanks, not my style. :p

In other news, got the E42's mounted today.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
SafetyLighting said:
Does that E66 have a shroud available to cut down on flashback?

No, there isn't a shroud. But, it should be easy enough to make one with ABS.

There is a good deal of flashback on the dash with this light, though.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Pyron said:
No, there isn't a shroud. But, it should be easy enough to make one with ABS.

There is a good deal of flashback on the dash with this light, though.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a lot of flashback. I don't think the E66 was meant to be a headliner type light. Kudos on trying to make it work though...the rest of the install looks great.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Glue two E66's together, one facing the front and one to the rear. Then take the lights out of the side windows and glue them onthe ends and you will have a lightbar lol.

I would do mirrorbeams. Should be easy enough to find some

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
Pyron said:
Biggest bang for your buck really. And after taking a look at the back of it today, I probably will do 2 lights on a license plate bracket in back as there's plenty of room.

Pyron, If you are going to criticize Louis for his grammatical errors (Which I have never seen before on his website), one of the most popular vendors here, don't make one of the most basic errors yourself. (Using AND at the beginning of a sentence.) I am not perfect with grammar either and maybe I made a few mistakes myself in this post but, if you are going to criticize someone (especially one of the most respected on here in terms of vendor's, when you yourself only have 12 posts). You better make sure everything you type in that thread is perfect. Flame over:)

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
scruffythewild said:
Pyron, If you are going to criticize Louis for his grammatical errors (Which I have never seen before on his website), one of the most popular vendors here, don't make one of the most basic errors yourself. (Using AND at the beginning of a sentence.) I am not perfect with grammar either and maybe I made a few mistakes myself in this post but, if you are going to criticize someone (especially one of the most respected on here in terms of vendor's, when you yourself only have 12 posts). You better make sure everything you type in that thread is perfect. Flame over:)

I'm not trying to present a professional website and market my business. With that in mind, it really doesn't matter what my off the cuff, quick reply posts contain as far as grammar or spelling errors. I'm simply presenting my opinion about the products, the business, and my experiences with them to this point. It's my opinion that a website is a direct reflection of a company. If it's littered with simple spelling errors, then one could be lead to believe that the people working there or the products being sold may be of the same quality. Those of us who purchase those products happen to know differently, but a new customer doesn't have the advantage of having owned the products... they may just go off the website.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess. Flame Extinguished...

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Testing out this location for the SNM E6 Mini (Red/Clear) for intersection warning... I think I like it.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
I think I changed my mind on the E66 in the front windshield... I might put this in my other car and put a AWL Venom... This way, I wouldn't have to make any flashback shields or anything like that. Thoughts?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Pyron said:
I think I changed my mind on the E66 in the front windshield... I might put this in my other car and put a AWL Venom... This way, I wouldn't have to make any flashback shields or anything like that. Thoughts?

From 1-10, how bad is the flashback for you? If you drive this vehicle more than your other, I would do what I could to keep the SNM lightbar in the silverado (it'll definitely be brighter than the AWL stick IMHO), whether the flashback is acceptable for u or you are able to eventually make a flashback shield

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Just an FYI on the venom in a silverado. It doesn't fit nicely. I've got the 2006 1500 Silverado and the brackets that come with the Venom do not fit around the swivel base of the sun visors. I had to drill them out and use a long bolt and lock washer to hold it in place.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Also, without adding onto the shield, the flashback on the Venom is still fairly strong. Some people are more sensitive to flashback than others. I'm not bothered by it at all but I've had others state that they wouldn't be able to drive my truck.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Pyron said:

How about you get to D12's from strobesnmore and sync them up with a flasher...or a couple of avengers synced up. There Bright!

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
NFD-102 said:
How about you get to D12's from strobesnmore and sync them up with a flasher...or a couple of avengers synced up. There Bright!

I hadn't really thought of using an external flasher with some D12's... I honestly just wish they would sync with the rest of the E series lights as everything else I have is an SNM E series light. However, that might work. Because I'm kind of anal about it everything being synced though, I'd probably just put all the lights on a flasher.

Something to think about. Thanks for the input ;)

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Eric1249 said:
Why would you want to sync everything? Fast random patterns are the way to go

I sincerely hope you say this in jest... otherwise the angry mob is already gathering their torches and pitchforks!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I think he should get about 20 E66 mini's. Split red/clear. And put each oneon a random pattern. That way there is always a good pattern on at some point.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
foxtrot5 said:
Just an FYI on the venom in a silverado. It doesn't fit nicely. I've got the 2006 1500 Silverado and the brackets that come with the Venom do not fit around the swivel base of the sun visors. I had to drill them out and use a long bolt and lock washer to hold it in place.

I doubt there are any universal brackets that fit around that piece. I have a feeling most of them would have to be drilled, including the bracket that comes with the E66. I thought I might be able to run the bracket above the headliner and put the bracket in between that piece and the metal roof support that it screws into, but it's been a pain so far. Haven't given up on it yet, but if I stay with the E66 there, I'll probably just end up drilling the brackets or cutting slots in it with a dremel to coincide with the plastic.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Eric1249 said:
I think he should get about 20 E66 mini's. Split red/clear. And put each oneon a random pattern. That way there is always a good pattern on at some point.

Challenge accepted!

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Here are some almost complete install pictures:

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5195.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

Oh yeah, this thread is pic heavy? :)

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
This lighting package looks to be very effective. I can't help but think that the E66 in the front would really obstruct your view and have a TON of flashback.

Also, this truck is begging for a HLF ;)

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
This lighting package looks to be very effective. I can't help but think that the E66 in the front would really obstruct your view and have a TON of flashback.

I told him it needed a HLF. That light on the right side would drive me nuts being out of sync. lol

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It's a solid 360 install, but please separate the clear and red flashing up front on the headliner (simultaneously); it's just a pink blur.

HLF & TLF are (unofficially) a necessity for a truck like this bro, esp cuz you have no HAWs or LAWs. Have you thought about getting some ABS plastic to make a custom flashback shield? I knew someone that had a D6 on his headliner and that didn't last too long for obvious reasons.

I'm sure that if you give Louis a call, he'll work with you to make things right with the passenger side window light.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
acala91 said:

It doesn't obstruct my view much. It sits above the rear view mirror. However, it does have a good amount of flashback that I've been able to deal with so far.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
pdk9 said:
It's a solid 360 install, but please separate the clear and red flashing up front on the headliner (simultaneously); it's just a pink blur.
HLF & TLF are (unofficially) a necessity for a truck like this bro, esp cuz you have no HAWs or LAWs. Have you thought about getting some ABS plastic to make a custom flashback shield? I knew someone that had a D6 on his headliner and that didn't last too long for obvious reasons.

I'm sure that if you give Louis a call, he'll work with you to make things right with the passenger side window light.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't find a pattern that separated the red and white. I suppose I could take the bar apart and move modules around, but that's a lot of work ;)

HLF/TLF... meh, I guess. I have a TLF for it, just didn't want to bother with installing it. I thought about making a flashback shield out of some ABS, but the E66 in the front was always a temporary, see how it would work out type of thing. I'm actually going to pull it out and put it on the rear deck of the Audi. I'll put a few of the "All New" SNM D6 or D12's in it's place.

With the sync, I have a feeling it's just the nature of the way the SNM lights sync, and the way I have the sync wires hooked up. You'd think you could just hook up the sync wires for all the lights all around the truck, but it doesn't work out that way. The lights won't sync properly if you connect a sync wire from a light that isn't turned on to the sync wires for the rest of the lights that are already on. They get whacky, and it's really frustrating.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
strobecrazy said:

LOL. Well played, and I like it. Not sure why I wouldn't have selected it.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
NJfireguy9094 said:
how did u install the snm mini e6 lights i have the same truck

I actually didn't install the E6 Mini's there. I thought about surface mounting them to the black plastic behind the gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the fender there, but just wasn't comfortable with putting them there. Since I have the push bar on the front now I'm probably going to just end up putting some SNM Surface Stars on the sides of the push bumper. The E6 Minis will fit on the push bumper sides, but only mounted vertically which I'm not real interested in doing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.