2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Install

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Well, for those of you that don't know, the 2000 Dakota's tranny went out, and I now have a 2003 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad cab, and am needing some help on the install. What I'm probably going to do is a SNM E66 R/B in the rear window, a TIR3 in the rear side windows, interior bar (Pegasus or StarBurst), grille lights, and a HLF. Siren wise, it'll be a hand held remote mount, probaby Whelen. Here is what my problem is. I haven't had a whole lot of time to rip things apart to see where I could run wires through a grommet, and I don't want it as "messy" as the Dakota. So, if anyone has experience with the '02 to '05 (I believe those are the same style), please help! I just need to know where I can run wires, and what HLF anyone has used with it. Thanks!!

Caleb

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
The difficult thing about our trucks is Dodge did not put a fuse block inside the cab. The only location of fuses is under the hood. The good news is, you don't have to run any new lines off the battery. The fuse block under the hood has extra slots. The bad news is, I can't tell you how to get through the firewall.

This website is EXTREMELY helpful:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

It's the Dodge Ram Body Builder's guide. You can get all schematics, installation notes, parts lists, etc. I used this heavily when I was doing my install.

Also, the forums at Dodge Ram Forum - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum has alot of good information. I have asked about HLF and I have been warned that installing a HLF could screw with the electronics (I think the Whelen website had a warning against it too).

Also, be sure to completely remove your headliner. There are plenty of existing holes up there that can be used to secure brackets. Here's a link to my photo album with all my pics (my setup is alot smaller than yours though).

Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
vonirkinshtine said:
The difficult thing about our trucks is Dodge did not put a fuse block inside the cab. The only location of fuses is under the hood. The good news is, you don't have to run any new lines off the battery. The fuse block under the hood has extra slots. The bad news is, I can't tell you how to get through the firewall.

This website is EXTREMELY helpful:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

It's the Dodge Ram Body Builder's guide. You can get all schematics, installation notes, parts lists, etc. I used this heavily when I was doing my install.

Also, the forums at Dodge Ram Forum - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum has alot of good information. I have asked about HLF and I have been warned that installing a HLF could screw with the electronics (I think the Whelen website had a warning against it too).

Also, be sure to completely remove your headliner. There are plenty of existing holes up there that can be used to secure brackets. Here's a link to my photo album with all my pics (my setup is alot smaller than yours though).

Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

Thanks!! I greatly appreciate it!! I like your install, very clean! Where did you run your power wire? I was thinking about running it through the cup holder area, but have'nt checked anything there yet to see if it's possible.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Thanks!! I greatly appreciate it!! I like your install, very clean! Where did you run your power wire? I was thinking about running it through the cup holder area, but have'nt checked anything there yet to see if it's possible.

Actually, I tapped in the 12V outlet at the bottom of the dash. It will provide 20A hot-at-all-times. I tapped into that feed and brought off a 5A fused line for my stuff (I calculated I needed 4.5A for my lights). From there I ran the wires up the driver's-side A-pillar.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
hey man, I hope this helps: I recently did an install on a ram 1500. a great place to run lines through the firewall is above the brake pedal. there is already a hole, with a rubber grommet in it. Drill a hole in the grommet, but make sure its small enough so that the wires youre going to be running through are very snug, then use some epoxy/ silicone to "seal the deal"( :bonk: )

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
jcpse said:
hey man, I hope this helps: I recently did an install on a ram 1500. a great place to run lines through the firewall is above the brake pedal. there is already a hole, with a rubber grommet in it.

That's good to know!

medicwf41

Aug 4, 2011
Wayne City Il.
For the 02 and up dodges you will need an isoation flasher. Sound off sells them and run up around $50. It is part number ETHFSS-SP-ISO. If you need one i can get them, along with the Feniex items.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
vonirkinshtine said:
Actually, I tapped in the 12V outlet at the bottom of the dash. It will provide 20A hot-at-all-times. I tapped into that feed and brought off a 5A fused line for my stuff (I calculated I needed 4.5A for my lights). From there I ran the wires up the driver's-side A-pillar.
Thanks!! I'm gonna be running a siren/light controller, 1 or 2 radios, and numerous lights, so that would not work. But good to know if I need to tap into it!

jcpse said:
hey man, I hope this helps: I recently did an install on a ram 1500. a great place to run lines through the firewall is above the brake pedal. there is already a hole, with a rubber grommet in it. Drill a hole in the grommet, but make sure its small enough so that the wires youre going to be running through are very snug, then use some epoxy/ silicone to "seal the deal"( :bonk: )
That helps a lot actually!! It's my weekend off, so I will be doing that!! Greatly appreciated!!

medicwf41 said:
For the 02 and up dodges you will need an isoation flasher. Sound off sells them and run up around $50. It is part number ETHFSS-SP-ISO. If you need one i can get them, along with the Feniex items.
Okay. So I take it the C3 710 will not work? lol Thanks! I will keep that (and you) in mind!!

Thanks everyone!!

medicwf41

Aug 4, 2011
Wayne City Il.
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Thanks!! I'm gonna be running a siren/light controller, 1 or 2 radios, and numerous lights, so that would not work. But good to know if I need to tap into it!

That helps a lot actually!! It's my weekend off, so I will be doing that!! Greatly appreciated!!

Okay. So I take it the C3 710 will not work? lol Thanks! I will keep that (and you) in mind!!

Thanks everyone!!

You can make a 710 work but i do not recomend it. It will eventually start messing with the computer. It might be the first time you turn them on or 10 years from now. I have seen one disable the ABS, or is what the mechanic said caused it. :cry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.