2003 Silverado - Remote Siren Installation Location

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Looking for pictures or ideas of where people have mounted their sirens in their Silverados. I've got an extended cab, and the bench seat is out. Just trying to find the best way to mount the siren/light control box.

Here's what I'm working with so far. Where has everyone else put their control boxes?

truck siren location.jpg

Zodiac

Jan 26, 2013
The Valley, WI
I was going to mount mine under the driver's front seat, so I can fold up my rear bench and still have plenty of cargo space and not worry about it.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Zodiac said:
I was going to mount mine under the driver's front seat, so I can fold up my rear bench and still have plenty of cargo space and not worry about it.

This is a little big and doesn't fit under the front seat. Even in the position that it's sitting in there (I literally just had it sitting there because it was out of the way), the seat when folded still would cover that.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
twodogs603 said:
Thats where mine is.

How did you secure it there? Screws into the deck or something else?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! You're my hero for stripping the interior out of your Silverado. I've been debating doing it myself but wanted to talk to someone about it first. How difficult was everything to pull? And were you able to remove the headliner, if so how because I can't even wiggle a 16ga wire under mine? It feels like it's held in place with some kind of crazy glue or something.

To answer your questing I've got my SS2000 box on the floor behind my driver's seat but I think I'm going to move it to the rear wall. But I want to mount everything to a board and then mount the board up there.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
rohmers said:
what kind of siren/light box?

that will help....

It's a SoundOff Signal 380R. Still trying to decide where I want to mount the remote head (considering the overhead console).

As for removal of the interior, not really all that difficult. I think I read about it on a Silverado board or something, but here's a quick overview:

Remove the bench seat. On the D/S floor there's a plastic cover with 3 plastic pins, remove to access the (2) 3/4" bolts. Remove the (2) 3/4" bolts from the P/S floor. In the center on the floor there's (1) 3/4" bolt that the two cables for the child seat securing system connect to. Remove that and pop off that bracket (I carefully used a pry bar to get it off of the bolt). Lift seat up first, then out.

From there, it's just a matter of removing everything else. It's all connected with pop in/out fasteners for the most part. As long as you apply steady pressure and not jerk on stuff, it'll come off without breaking. Remove the trim panel under the rear window first, then you can remove the sides. Use a T50? Torx to remove the seatbelts so you can get the trim panel off, then remove the seatbelt all together by removing the third T50 behind the panel. This allows great access to the grommet that goes into the rear door. I'd still be cognizant of sharp edges if you're going to run wires through here.

Everything else pops off pretty easy, including the rear door panels. Just two screws in the handle, and the whole door panel comes off real nice. If you ever wanted better speakers, that would be the time to put them in cause they are crap :) I think my install on the lights in the rear doors took me about 15 minutes each, from mounting light, to panel off, solder/heat shrink connections, panel back on.

Headliner is pretty easy from what I've read. Just have to remove the trim all the way around holding it up, the upper console, and dome light and it'll come out real easy. I haven't done it yet, but that's next (I have an SNM E66 and an SNM E48 to mount).

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Awesome, and considering I've got a 2door model I've got a bit less work then you had. Sounds like I've got myself a new project.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
foxtrot5 said:
Awesome, and considering I've got a 2door model I've got a bit less work then you had. Sounds like I've got myself a new project.

So, the headliner was pretty easy. Remove the visors, upper console, all the supporting trim, and then you pop out the "oh shit" handles and it'll come down.

However, the wiring for the dome light, third brake/cargo lights, and rearview mirror/map lights in upper console are all glued into the headliner. You'll have to peel the wiring off the headliner if you want to completely remove it from the vehicle. In my case, it wasn't necessary as I could move it back and forth to accommodate my girth. I also removed the dome light so I could get a bit better leverage to remove the headliner, as it's velcro'd to the roof in some places. Hope that helps.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
My old silverado was an 02 extended cab. I never removed the rear fold down seat but I did take the front seats and center seat/storage combo out many times to run wiring. Removal of the front seats make it really easy to run wiring under the rug on top of the center hump.

I ended up using a laminated shelf under the rear seat. I put legs on it and the shelf just cleared the center hump. This allowed for mounting space on top of the shelf and also underneath on either side of the hump. Then I mounted everything to the shelf (fuse panel, airhorn amp, strobe power supply, LED flasher, relays...)

I hated the stock center dome light so I removed it and mounted a sound off white/red LED dome light in its place. It looked stock when I was done. I used an aluminum piece of stock on top of the headliner and mounted the light to that (no holes mount) and wired it to the oem wiring. It was a hell of a lot brighter and I liked having the red function.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.