2004 Explorer XLT - Microman, LIN3, Hideaways

Corey

Dec 15, 2010
RI, US
  • (4) Whelen Hideaway Strobes in Amber (front turn signals and reverse lights) on a UPS64LX 75 watt power supply.
  • (2) Whelen LIN3s in Amber on a Strobesnmore license plate bracket (horizontal mount)
  • Microman Industries 32" MicroStarBar (amber) in the rear window, behind factory tint. Sho-me flasher.

The truck is my personal vehicle used for overnight newsgathering, which is why rear warning is really the only focus here. Any suggestions on more effective flash patterns are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol well first of all nice video and i like the install alot of AMBER but its good for its purpose.

Exactly what I was thinking, Chono... that's why I picked up the ULF44, I wasn't happy with the patterns on the Sho-me flasher.

Corey, you a fire fighter and/or an EMT in RI? I'm just curious what the vollys use down there on their POV's to calls.

Nope, I am a freelance news photographer. From what I've seen, some volunteers run red lights to respond directly to calls (especially in some of the northern towns). I live in the city so I don't see them responding, but I often see the POVs when I am on scene at an accident or fire in a volunteer community. As far as I know, it's up to the department... I know some guys who aren't allowed to use any lights in certain towns.

Thanks for the compliments!

Here's the switchbox... first (toggle) switch is the master. Then the three rockers control the hideaways, Microman bar, and LIN3s separately. My intention was to get labels to go above the switches and maybe even light them up from behind, but I never got around to it. Some day when I'm bored I'll probably do it!

[Broken External Image]:http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/corey410/2011-02-26162519-1.jpg

Thanks for the response... I was just curious if you were or not as I live just north of the RI border and travel in RI often. I'll be putting a red strobe bar on my truck shortly and was just hoping I don't run into trouble driving through RI. (with the strobes off of course) I know the state police use red so that made me a little nervous :)

Great looking truck! Everything is really bright and effective. The box looks nice and custom and clean too!

although i dont personally see the need for that much lighting for a freelance news photographer, it does look like a clean install

Thanks again, everybody!

pdk9 said:
although i dont personally see the need for that much lighting for a freelance news photographer, it does look like a clean install

As for the amount of lights... most often, they are not necessary. Finding a safe place to park, out of the way, is always my first choice. For the times that I am pulled over on a highway or dark rural road, I see adequate lighting as a worthy investment.

EDIT: As of late 2011, the strobe hideaways have been replaced with SoundOff LEDs and the Microman bar has been sold to a friend (who made a generous offer). i find the current setup to be fine for my needs, and certainly less blinding when I'm unloading gear from the back hatch. The Microman bar was almost too bright...and right at eye level.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381