2004 Ford Explorer HLF

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
I have a Code 3 711 HLF, and am needing help installing it on the Explorer. I have looked at the SOS website and got the right high beam wire (Light green/Black), but am lacking the left high beam wire and the knowledge to do it. Last time I attempted to install a HLF, I had to replace the PCM on my old Dakota. So, I'm going to buy the wire extensions like Triton had ordered for his Civic, and use those. However, I have no idea what I am doing, but I've done plenty of installs so I know enough about the 12 volt system and EVL to feel comfortable doing it if I had a little guidance. I do know how to use the patterns on the HLF and that one wire for the bulb goes to one outlet, and the other side to the other outlet, but that's it. I appreciate any help that can be given. And the whole "take it to a pro" thing will not work. County doesn't pay nearly enough for me to be able to afford that. Also, pics would help a lot, but beggers can't be choosers!! :crazy: Thanks!

Caleb

dovy6

May 18, 2011
Brooklyn
calebsheltonmed23 said:
It did help a little! Thanks! Anyone know where I can find out what color the high beam wires are with out having to take a voltmeter out?

I suggest you take out the multimeter anytime you're touching wires. I always double check any info I get on wire colors no matter what just in case YOUR car is different for whatever odd reason. Cant hurt to double check.... :twocents:

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
dovy6 said:
I suggest you take out the multimeter anytime you're touching wires. I always double check any info I get on wire colors no matter what just in case YOUR car is different for whatever odd reason. Cant hurt to double check.... :twocents:

Yeah, I am...just dreading it. lol. Can anyone give any info as to say if my drawing is correct?? The flasher output goes to the high beams, and the steady burn goes to the high beam switch, correct?

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
At each headlight you are going to have a grn/blk wire. you are going to cut that wire on both headlights. when you cut that wire you are now going to have a wire that goes towards the headlight, and one that goes back into the harness. the headlight side of each wire is going to be the output side of the flasher. the harness side of both wires is going to be hooked to the flasher as the highbeam override. The best thing to do is like the others said is multimeter and test. before you button it all up, set the up and try it out so you can make sure you have the right wires. Headlight flashers can be easy, or a pain in the ass........

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Last time I attempted to install a HLF, I had to replace the PCM on my old Dakota.
Caleb

Bet you tried to use a flasher designed for positive switched headlights on a ground switched system???? Not being critical, just diagnosing.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
TNFF412N said:
At each headlight you are going to have a grn/blk wire. you are going to cut that wire on both headlights. when you cut that wire you are now going to have a wire that goes towards the headlight, and one that goes back into the harness. the headlight side of each wire is going to be the output side of the flasher. the harness side of both wires is going to be hooked to the flasher as the highbeam override. The best thing to do is like the others said is multimeter and test. before you button it all up, set the up and try it out so you can make sure you have the right wires. Headlight flashers can be easy, or a pain in the ass........

Well, I did it this exact same way, however I did not look at this post. lol. It is the green/black wires, and actually isn't hard at all to do, just time consuming. It took about 1.5 to 2 hours to complete (not including running the wire to my switch), so not bad for a newb at HLF's I suppose. I also took my time and made it look neat though..so that took a little while too. But thank you for writing this post, because it is the exact way to do it. I will also upload photo's so future newb HLF installers will have something to go off of.

twodogs603 said:
Bet you tried to use a flasher designed for positive switched headlights on a ground switched system???? Not being critical, just diagnosing.

Um, no..lol. There are warnings for that year Dakota and Durango on almost all HLF's, but I ignored it and paid the price. It is a ground switched system, but everyone I looked at said the same thing, so I finally just did it...and blew up my PCM. So I just drilled holes in the HL's as if for LAW's or HAW's, but I put a 9005 bulb in and hooked the HLF to it. Worked like a champ. lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.