2004 Suburban

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Good Morning All,

I have just come into a 2004 Suburban in immaculate condition for its age. Upfitting will eventually include radios, lights and audio. I like the idea of being able to do dual or tri color leds... however I'm hung up on new leds on an older vehicle. 2004ish was just the beginning of the transition to LED but strobe n halogen we're still prevalent. Looking for perspective on trying to keep the vehicle period correct or just put in new.

Thoughts n opinions appreciated.

Seth

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Good Morning All,

I have just come into a 2004 Suburban in immaculate condition for its age. Upfitting will eventually include radios, lights and audio. I like the idea of being able to do dual or tri color leds... however I'm hung up on new leds on an older vehicle. 2004ish was just the beginning of the transition to LED but strobe n halogen we're still prevalent. Looking for perspective on trying to keep the vehicle period correct or just put in new.

Seth

Is this a demo Seth, or is it a POV?

If it was a demo, I’d recommend all lastest gen LEDs since that’s what would be ideal for newer installs. However if it was a POV, I’d be more content leaving it more era specific (to an extent) with a combination of lighting. Definitely hold off on the halogen lightheads for sure.

Hands down think HAW strobes and a HLF in that gen suburban/Tahoe is a must (2 HAWs in front turn signals and 2 HAWs in brake lights). Maybe cannons in the reverse (since the smaller housing isn’t ideal for the heat given off by a HAW strobe) to replace reverse light and flash for warning

As for the lightbar, I wouldn’t go with a slim low pro bar like a fusion or legacy....something that looks good on a truck would be a freedom or a custom MX7K or Excalibur with new lenses (3 fast rotators up top and all LEDs for corners, alleys, and front/rear inboards down below)

Perimeter warning with 700s on a grill guard and quarter panels, maybe some duo/trio on the running boards, an Avenger II duo on the dash, and some LEDs in the rear headliner (600/800 stick if lift gate or a pair of 200s/400s if 2 doors for the trunk)

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So truck will be used as a inter-op support vehicle for my company... and I still maintain my fire/EMS status... so POV... although infrequent.

I do know it'll be Slicktop and potentially ghost graphics... it will have a Grover 1510 and a FS 66g mechanical siren. It'll have a complete amber, red and white lighting package that amber can all be turned on independent of red and white. White will be able to be flood lighting... trying to figure out if I'm going to run everything off a Blink system with dual siren amps,ss2000 or some basic switches all of which I have in house.

No demo vehicle... been outta the upfitting business for a few years.

Will post some moch up options when I make them.

Seth

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I've got an 04 as well... NEED to know where you're mounting that FS66 & Grover *evil smile*

Lol. Where there is a will there is a way! Grover will be mounting in the frame rail just behind the engine. Likely under the front passenger seat. My wife (girlfriend) at the time always got a lil vibration in her seat when I had one mounted in my 09 Tahoe that way.

The 66 is to be evaluated... I don't plan to do a push bumper... engine compartment doesn't have a ton of space but does have some.

When I get a final resting place for it... I'll let u know.

Seth

Reactions: FiremanSketch

FiremanSketch

Dec 17, 2014
Lake Arrowhead
I'm guessing that the trumpet is long enough that it doesn't project in the cab? And I'd assume that the road amplifies the sound. Where did you mount the compressor, and what size?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Correct. You obviously hear it like any other location by no bad at all. In the 09 I had a custom rear cabinet made which house the 1.5 gallon tank n compressor. Was adequate as long as you don't just sit on the horn. I think it was a 110psi compressor. Maybe 125. Nice n loud.

With the new install compressor n tank will likely go under the second row seats or behind the rear quarter panels. Haven't pulled it apart yet to determine.

Seth

Reactions: FiremanSketch

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Thank you Rob for sharing. Nice simple and effective. Lighting in all the right places. Had a few things come up here which has pushed this project to the back burner. But as things progress I'll keep everyone updated.

I did have a Tahoe at one time... there's a thread here but all the links are broken... pics n videos can be found here... http://s269.photobucket.com/user/C17LVFD/library/2009 Chevy Tahoe?sort=3&page=1

Seth

FiremanSketch

Dec 17, 2014
Lake Arrowhead
My 2005 Tahoe for some ideas-
http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/2014tahoe2.JPG

https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/2005-tahoe-lt-pov.21101/

Sorry all the pic links say they are broken; can just click on them.

Looks good, Rob. Seems we have the same issues regarding sunroofs, luggage racks, and Liberty bars! I've got a Z71, so I have the bulkier racks which make a bigger issue for a lightbar. Been contemplating a full rack removal, as it only gets used once a year as something to tie the Christmas tree to. Do you still have your Liberty installed?

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Good Morning All,

Seth

From the thread talking about what should be posted on this section of the page...

"Some key notes: To reiterate, this is NOT the area to ask for install help, install opinions, mounting questions, advice, etc. Only post installs/projects YOU have done, if someone else did the work, we have other sections for that (vehicle media section) . Lastly, please leave discussions about lighting color/legality out of the discussion, as we have a section for that as well . If there are any questions, feel free to ask a member of the staff and we will be more than glad to assist you."

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.