2005 Tahoe LT POV

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Updates here:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2005-tahoe-lt-pov-23192/index2.html#post479239

I've been meaning to take some new pictures and videos. I haven't posted since we changed over to this board.

I'm a volunteer Fire Fighter and EMT/EMS Captain for my Fire Department. Vehicle is primarily used to respond to the station.

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/front_small.jpg

Here's a list of equipment:

Front: (All LEDs on ULF44)

LightningX Xtreme 9's in Grill

Whelen Vertex in Fog Lights (Blue)

Whelen Vertex in Turn Signals (White)

Whelen LIN6's on Mirrors

Whelen Wig Wag Flasher

Lightbar is fully loaded Whelen Liberty Economy model (Fully populated corners, the rest are de-pop) Thanks Pimp!

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/2011front.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/2011front2.jpg

The vehicle specific brackets for the Liberty would have put it across my sunroof. Our Chief Engineer fabricated some brackets for me that attach to the roof rack. The feet have been removed and the brackets attach directly to the lightbar. Awesome!

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/LibertyMount.jpg

Sides:

Whelen Slimlighters, Blue/Red - Internal flashers removed and connected to ULF44 to sync with rear LAWs

Rear:

Whelen Vertex (Blue) in Reverse Lights

Whelen Vertex (Red) in Brake Lights

Feniex Python 800 - No internal flasher. Connected to Signal Master control of Smart Siren.

Scanner/Radios/Controls

Jotto Vehicle Specific Console

Uniden Remote Head (connected to BCD396t in glove box)

Kenwood TK8180K - UHF

Kenwood TK7180 - VHF

Kenwood TK940 - 800

Yeasu 8900 - Amateur

SmartSirenSM

Vertex Low Band

If you look close, only the Smart Siren has a mounting plate. I custom made the others because the Jotto plates would not have allowed me to fit all the equipment.

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/2011radios1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/2011radios2.jpg

Antennas

Back Row, L to R

800mhz Phantom, Unknown Dual Band for 8900, Laird Tri band scanner

Front: Unknown Dual band for 8180/7180 (Duplexer located with base of radios in rear cargo area)

Fender Mount - Low Band

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/2011antennas1.jpg

Few more videos:

I think that's it. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFK9

Jun 5, 2010
NY
Nice Tahoe, I have the same truck what kind of CD player are you using there, looks sweet.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
ISU_Cyclone said:
I like how the front is synced

Yes, adding the Liberty took away the "full sync" on the front of the vehicle

slingerlandsfire said:
Nice Tahoe, I have the same truck what kind of CD player are you using there, looks sweet.

It is the factory CD/XM/Nav Unit. Previous owner must have had a lifetime XM subscription because I've had the vehicle for over 3 years and it still works.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Love it. I love the look of lots of antennas. Haha. My favorite is a lo-jack system on top of radio antennas.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I really liked it till I saw all radios. Way overkill IMO.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Resfireman30 said:
what console is that? Im looking for one

It is made by Jotto and it's a vehicle specific for the 00-06 Tahoes. Sorry I can't find the model number. Havis makes one also. I bought it from a board member.

Klein said:
Love it. I love the look of lots of antennas. Haha. My favorite is a lo-jack system on top of radio antennas.
Thanks. I was able to leave one antenna off by using a duplexer for the VHF/UHF

RL1 said:
I really liked it till I saw all radios. Way overkill IMO.

I respect your opinion. I wanted to cover all the bands. I had to add the scanner to cover the 800 digital and I kept the Amateur because I use the cross band repeat and it is FPP.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Rusted413 said:
Love the placement and sync in the grill and fogs and mirror beams, looks great. Can you use the wig-wags with blues in CT or is the just some creative use?

Thanks

Yes, CT has a separate permit for Wig Wags. Blue light permits are signed by the Fire Chief. Wig Wag permits are signed by the Chief LEO.

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
Rob,

Love the truck!

Can you explain why the deputy chief gets the red light/siren permit as opposed to you as the chief officer?

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
EMS10EMT said:
Rob,

Love the truck!

Can you explain why the deputy chief gets the red light/siren permit as opposed to you as the chief officer?

I don't think he said he is a fire chief. He said he is a firefighter, as well as EMS captain. Neither of those ranks entitle him to reds/siren.

Very nice setup. Have to admit I am jealous.

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
bwoodruff said:
I don't think he said he is a fire chief. He said he is a firefighter, as well as EMS captain. Neither of those ranks entitle him to reds/siren.

Very nice setup. Have to admit I am jealous.

Ok, I could be mistaken.....around my area the Captain is (usually) the highest ranking officer of an EMS organization.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
EMS10EMT said:
Ok, I could be mistaken.....around my area the Captain is (usually) the highest ranking officer of an EMS organization.

Sorry for the confusion...

Ambulance is part of the Fire Department and it is under the Fire Chief (Car46)

We have 3 Deputy Chiefs: 1st Deputy/Operations Chief (Car 146), Second Deputy/Chief Training Officer (Car 246), EMS Deputy Chief (Medic 546).

kd2acm said:
Nice job with Sync. Can you show where you brought all the wiring?

This is an old pic (strobe packs are long gone). Wiring is much messier now. It is on the list to clean things up...

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/CarWeb/tahoemedia/wiring2.JPG

I have a piece of 4ga that is fused under the hood and runs under the back seats.

The remote mount radios (8900, 7180, 8180) get power and ground from this point. In the photo, you can see a piece of red 8ga going under the carpet. That runs to the radio console. I have another power distribution block that has a ground direct to the battery.

I have several 7 conductor, 18 gauge cables. 1 runs under the hood and 2 under the radio console. The LED heads connect to these cables via terminal strips and all end up under the back seat and connected to the ULF. You can see it near the Smart Siren Brain.

If I were to start over, I would purchase 4 conductor cable and home run all LED heads to this distribution point. It would make it far easier to change flash patterns, sync, etc.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Man, I haven't seen that truck in a while on here, lol. Love it and I see you added a lightbar. Nice simple protection all around. Personally my OCD kicks in when I see a lightbar on a car with no markings, hahaha.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
mrburch24 said:
In the antenna picture it looks like the roof rack blocks the rear of the lightbar. May not be as bad as it appears. Very nice install.

Yes, roof rack does block rear of bar. I have a Feneix Python in the rear window that I need to take pics of.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
RobK said:
Yes, roof rack does block rear of bar. I have a Feneix Python in the rear window that I need to take pics of.

why not just remove the cross bars? when was the last time you actually put something on them??

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
RobK said:
Not in Somers! EMS Deputy Chief gets the noise maker.

Thanks for the kind words too.

OEMS allows for 3 ems permits (CEO and 2 Assistant's to CEO)

If your a fire department like me then your ems officers are entitled to two as usually the fire chief is the cheif of service on file with OEMS. So you still have room under the law for one more assistant to CEO permit. If you were a stand alone EMS service your service would be entitled to 3 permits CEO (Normally Chief of Service) and 2 assistants.

Clever idea on the brackets and I love the radios. I have a few in my truck as well. I get the same comments but in an area that is split between low band, vhf, uhf, 800 etc I can hear and talk to EVERYONE

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Looks good. Only thing I would've done was to have the grille lights in the upper portion of the grille. I'm just nit-picking though. And with the radios...if you need X number of radios, you need X number of radios. Function over form. Very nice.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Sorry everyone...been spending too much time in the classifieds and not enough keeping up on questions/comments. Probably should subscribe to my own thread...

C420sailor said:
Looks good. Only thing I would've done was to have the grille lights in the upper portion of the grille. I'm just nit-picking though. And with the radios...if you need X number of radios, you need X number of radios. Function over form. Very nice.

I'm not a fan of 4 grill lights. I like 2 large and that's it. I have a TD/WL36 that I could put in the upper grill but, not my style.

I could probably do away with 2 of the radios but, I have them and the antennas are installed, etc. Next vehicle (which I hope won't be for awhile) maybe I'll rethink the setup.

bigcat said:
It has to be a 48' bar since there are six inboard light heads and there are no spacers in between the inboard/outboard light heads.

It is not a 54...I think the Liberty is 49" (where an Edge is 48"). When I purchased the bar from Pimp, I thought it was going to be too short but it worked out perfect.

bfd740 said:
What's with the lightbar cable? It comes out of the passenger side and goes into a hole on the driver's side. Was that an existing antenna hole or something?

Good eye. I drilled it there incase I changed it out with antennas or if I remove the bar, I can drop an NMO in (without a cable even) and then screw a raincap on. Should be a water tight seal then.

If I missed any other questions, let me know. Thanks!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
love the update. this has been one of my fav. elb installs b/c it's well thought out, not overkill/tacky, and there aren't crappy, unorganized flash patterns that kill it (the ONLY thing i would change is solid, not split, talons in the side windows)

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
pdk9 said:
love the update. this has been one of my fav. elb installs b/c it's well thought out, not overkill/tacky, and there aren't crappy, unorganized flash patterns that kill it (the ONLY thing i would change is solid, not split, talons in the side windows)

Thanks for the kind words.

The lights in the side windows are LIN6's. I'm thinking about setting them to a solid pattern and connecting to a ULF44 with the rear hideaways.

I saw an install a few months ago where most of the body lights (including the lightbar) had a "cruise" option. Thinking about doing that just for fun and to have a new project to work on.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since my last update.

First post is updated with current equipment list. Here are the changes since the last post:

Added White Vertex to front turn signals. I used to have strobes in there and I left them in place to plug the holes. Installed the LEDs and connected to the ULF44 for the front lights.

Added 2x Slimlighters in the side windows to replace the LIN6s. The LIN6s didn't have a steady pattern so I couldn't connect to the ULF. Slimlighters were gutted and are connected to the rear ULF44.

The "Primary" pattern on both ULF's is a "cruise" mode. The "alternate" pattern is the warning. The alternate pattern is activated by a switch on the Smart Siren. When turning the slide switch on, the alternate pattern comes on automatically. If I want the cruise pattern, I can just hit the button to "turn off" the alternate pattern.

Had to do night videos/photos to show off the cruise lights. Someday (hopefully in less than 2 years) I can try to get a new day time video and photos of the slimlighters.

On deck for this vehicle...

Considering removing the liberty and going with "phantom" type antennas. Bought a B/B slimlighter to go above the RVM. Will by-pass internal flasher so it syncs with the front.

Thanks for looking.

Everything but Liberty:

Photos:

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/carweb/tahoemedia/2014tahoe1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/carweb/tahoemedia/2014tahoe2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/carweb/tahoemedia/2014tahoe3.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://rob.kozaczka.us/carweb/tahoemedia/2014tahoe4.jpg

Reactions: Storm4200

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks fantastic Rob. My only complaint, however, is that you do not have enough radios/comm.s installed!

I would've preferred the strobe HAWs be utilized over the vertexes, but it's still great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.