2005 Grand Cherokee Stealth Install Recomendations

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Well thanks to the Hurricane I have finally replaced my Jeep with another Jeep :D

Previous setup was a 1994 Grand Cherokee

Front :

Viper S2 (Red/White) above RVM

FS Cuda 6 pack vertical in the grill (Red/White)

intersection strobes in front turn signals 2x bulbs clear

Side:

Whelen Slimlighter Red/White in the bottom of each rearmost side window

Rear:

Hideaway Strobes in taillights using the export red cavity and amber to the reverse light cavity

Whelen Slimlighter TIR (Red/Blue) in rear window

Controlled by FS SS2000

Now most of the lights are salvageable and will be transferred the SS2000 brain & 8 head strobe box were under water so there shot, and I'm having a difficult time finding a dash light that will fit behind the RVM any suggestions for this new Jeep ?

I'm thinking Feniex Cannons in the front fog lights (unsure if solid red or split R/W)

Again Cannons in the rear housings (since Halos are gone)

rear & side window can stay the same

A little more intersection lighting is a tough idea in this. So what do you guys think I'm open to suggestions. Any better options for grill lighting I was happy with the Cudas but what is new in that style ?

IMG_9178.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Bogie said:
Well thanks to the Hurricane I have finally replaced my Jeep with another Jeep :D

Previous setup was a 1994 Grand Cherokee

Front :

Viper S2 (Red/White) above RVM

FS Cuda 6 pack vertical in the grill (Red/White)

intersection strobes in front turn signals 2x bulbs clear

Side:

Whelen Slimlighter Red/White in the bottom of each rearmost side window

Rear:

Hideaway Strobes in taillights using the export red cavity and amber to the reverse light cavity

Whelen Slimlighter TIR (Red/Blue) in rear window

Controlled by FS SS2000

Now most of the lights are salvageable and will be transferred the SS2000 brain & 8 head strobe box were under water so there shot, and I'm having a difficult time finding a dash light that will fit behind the RVM any suggestions for this new Jeep ?

I'm thinking Feniex Cannons in the front fog lights (unsure if solid red or split R/W)

Again Cannons in the rear housings (since Halos are gone)

rear & side window can stay the same

A little more intersection lighting is a tough idea in this. So what do you guys think I'm open to suggestions. Any better options for grill lighting I was happy with the Cudas but what is new in that style ?

View attachment 49966

With the tight space & wiring there, I'd go with a pair of single avengers on each side of the RVM.

For stealth intersection, I'd add SOS intersectors beneath the mirrors to cover most of the side, and a 10-75 bracket with red ions (to cover the front tip of your car when you're easing thru an intersection.

Cudas are good but 2 alternatives are tomar rect37's (large TIR footprint) or whelen M7's mounted vertically (yeah it'd be ideal to mount them horizontally in front of the grill, but those will pack a punch Head-on no matter how u mount them

Also, solid red is better for the cannons...why have 6 LEDs flash when you can have 12 flash at the same time? HLF is always a nice addition for clear up front (combined with solid red LEDs spread out)

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
I am leaning more to solid red on the cannons, I did get the Slimlighter to fit behind the RVM but I'm not happy with the daytime results (night might be better) but due to the blacked out area on the glass some of the light is blocked out. I will look into the Avengers I know one of the Captains in my house had a dual and it works well.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
What would be cool for grill lighting is some Whelen PAR32 interleaved red warning/white driving lights in pedestal mounts on the bumper in front of the grill. Those would definitely be stealth because what is more at home on the front of a Jeep thana set of offroad lights?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
acala91 said:
Those would definitely be stealth because what is more at home on the front of a Jeep thana set of offroad lights?

Those would fit right in on a jeep wrangler that is likely to do off-roading or drive through some poorly-lit roads, not on a stealth grand Cherokee that's cruising through the streets of an urban/metro area...that just looks toolish

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
I have to agree at least with the stock front end. I could see replacing the factory fogs with some PAR units but not adding onto the front end without adding a grill guard.

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
I never thought of it a warning power difference, just personal preference as its a cleaner install tucked up against the top with no wires showing. I haven't had a light on the dash since the FS Fire Beam in the 90's :D

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Bogie said:
I never thought of it a warning power difference, just personal preference as its a cleaner install tucked up against the top with no wires showing. I haven't had a light on the dash since the FS Fire Beam in the 90's :D

I agree about putting it on the dash. I honesty don't think you need the flash shield on a dual viper/avenger on the dash, so it won't be too bulky or take up too much space.

BTW, I sent u a PM a few days ago. Not sure if you got it

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
pdk9 said:
Those would fit right in on a jeep wrangler that is likely to do off-roading or drive through some poorly-lit roads, not on a stealth grand Cherokee that's cruising through the streets of an urban/metro area...that just looks toolish

:rolleyes:

It's a Jeep, who cares where it's driving.

21415210027_large.jpg

c0c1356ccc.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i too think that the whelen Par32s are the way to go on this. A pair in the fog lights, and a pair on the front bumper (like above ^ or on a push bumper) Both with red warning and white override. Synced 'X' pattern. You could use the ones in the factory fog locations as fog/driving/DRLs, and use the pair of the bumper with your high beams.

Id add another R/B slimlighter in the rear window too.

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
acala91 said:

Those are a good thought if I would run a front guard, as this is to be a more civilized "stock" Jeep according to the GF. I have a Dodge Ram with 9" of lift for fun.

And I have your Jeep thing and now it burns when I pee :D

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
I'm also thinking that mounting a dash light at the bottom of the windshield will screw with the automatic headlight sensor (sticks up out of the dash about 3/4")

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
acala91 said:

View attachment 50011

View attachment 50012
That KC light look doesn't fit all Grand Cherokees just b/c they're jeeps. The first jeep w/ a bunch of mods is nothing like his, & that jeep clearly intended for offroading. The 2nd one just looks like crap (the look is neither stealth, nor do the lights on that bumper guard fit right in, and that bumper guard just looks like crap). He doesn't have any bumper/grill guard, and it would look like junk if he tried to mount those lights on the stock bumper as he has it. Neither of those pictured match his intended stealth look, and he'd be better off mounting PAR lights in the fog area.

Bogie said:
I'm also thinking that mounting a dash light at the bottom of the windshield will screw with the automatic headlight sensor (sticks up out of the dash about 3/4")

I never had a problem with it in my POVs when I had a dual dash light mounted, BUT I never used the Viper/Talon flashback shields (the flashback didn't bother me, and I felt that the linear output was better without them/better than what the reflector stickers could produce), so that definitely makes a difference. On the other hand, mounting the dash light w/ the flashback shields might partially obstruct the sensor, since the flashback shield goes right up to the windshield, but it'll likely also be influenced by how much space there is between the light and the sensor, and how sensitive their dash sensors are...just play around with it by using a light you already have to gauge how the sensor will react

Last edited by a moderator:

mhchockey84

Jun 27, 2011
NJ
I also have a 2005 GC I have a dual talon mounted above the RVM I reversed the bracket and used double sides tape to mount it as high as possible, it does force the RVM down a bit but not a problem for me. My talon sits behind the sun dots and 35% tint and while yes the output is reduced it is still bright and visible day or night.

Also I am in the market for some sort of side /intersection light so I Will be watching what you do.

Here's my jeep not the best video but shows the talon . The grill / vertexs don't look great due to the angle of the camera compared to the downward slope of driveway

http://youtu.be/0dQepKSBKKs

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Bogie said:

I have to agree with you on the cleaner install, I HATE wires running across the dash, actually I hate stuff on the dash period although it is possible to do really clean dash light install. If it wasn't for the small matter of getting arrested I'd takd a photo of how my local Police does their installs for the VIP Protection cars. Not sure what lights that actually use, seems to vary abit, but they are tight against the windshield with no visible wires. I did have a look at one car a few years ago and they ran the wires INSIDE the defrost vent with a molex plug on the end. Lots of work I agree but it looked great, whole car was very impressive.

Just had a thought on your side warning, rather then the SOS intersectors, how about a Whelen Vertex, or similar, on the underside of the mirror? Can't remember who did it on their Charger but it's low profile and still looks pretty effective.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
irsa76 said:
I have to agree with you on the cleaner install, I HATE wires running across the dash, actually I hate stuff on the dash period although it is possible to do really clean dash light install. If it wasn't for the small matter of getting arrested I'd takd a photo of how my local Police does their installs for the VIP Protection cars. Not sure what lights that actually use, seems to vary abit, but they are tight against the windshield with no visible wires. I did have a look at one car a few years ago and they ran the wires INSIDE the defrost vent with a molex plug on the end. Lots of work I agree but it looked great, whole car was very impressive.

Just had a thought on your side warning, rather then the SOS intersectors, how about a Whelen Vertex, or similar, on the underside of the mirror? Can't remember who did it on their Charger but it's low profile and still looks pretty effective.

I know what you mean, bro...I hate loose wires all over the place too! luckily, with a lot of dashes, you can run a dash light wire tucked right along the bottom of the windshield (to keep it out of sight) and then run everything through the A-post.

I wouldn't recommend the vertex on the underside of a mirror for warning; they are only moderately bright (at best) when surface mounted facing outwards, and pointing them downwards just means that you'll have a nice light show on the pavement at night and maybe only have like 2 LEDs in the vertex facing outwards towards the side

mhchockey84

Jun 27, 2011
NJ
irsa76 said:

Local PD has vertexs mounted on the underside of the mirror in white I can say deffinitley at night they are bright and get a lot of attention , and even during the day they are still noticeable I will try to snap some pics next time I see it

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Had some time this afternoon to see what would still power up, one of my R/W gen 1 Slimlighters is DOA along with my Viper S2 only the white side will flash. I have been thinking about side lighting and wanted to use the R/W Slimlighters I had in the rear most side window and use a 10-75 style LP bracket.

FS Cuda units still work and will be installed in the grille over the weekend, R/B TIR Slimlighters work and will be in the rear window as well.

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Realized I never updated this currently running the R/W slimlighters in the front with Cuda Trioptic in the grill. The rear is a R/B TIR Slimlighter.

Need to get some sort of intersection and my rear HALO's working also considering a ILB but gotta find one to fit.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/Bogie7177/Lights/th_trim7800FCAA-C14E-46AE-9E19-47D49ED9BCC4.mp4

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/Bogie7177/Lights/th_trim4F028948-9BD6-447B-9D70-617E322B8F43.mp4

Bonus my brother in laws truck fairly well lit needs colored grill lights and he has some strobes out (cargo & reverse)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/Bogie7177/Lights/th_trim549E8DBC-95AA-42A6-B2E9-C8A56C4090DA.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.