2005 Honda CR-V

emt111

Jun 10, 2011
New York
Hey guys, I'm looking to add some more lights to my 2005 CR-V. Currently all I have is a whelen dual avenger centered on the dash. I had an idea for a light package but I've never really done this so you guys might have an idea that I missed. Lights can be green, amber, or white (NYS EMT). I would also prefer to go with a clean and simple package since it's they're curtsey lights, most of our members only have a dash light (we can have more though, but I don't want to be the only one with 20 lights) and as a recent college grad, I'm on a budget. Here's a couple of pictures on an almost identical cr-v to mine since it's not a common vehicle on this site (I do have fog lights though.)

Used_2005_Honda_CR-V_LX_909466_8593.JPG

5ffd431223_640.jpg

Here was my idea (based on what I have now and future purchasing plans):

Front:

1 x Whelen Dual Avenger (Green/Green)

2 x Grill Lights (probably will be soundoff ghosts due to size restriction and being readily available in green)

Rear:

1 x Whelen Slimlighter (Green/Amber)

I had at one time thought about putting two pairs of led hideaways in the clear parts of the taillights (green in the upper two and amber in the lower two) and then flashing them in an X pattern, but then I was thinking that might be too much. As for the grill lights, they have to go in the very bottom of the grill, in the slot directly below the Honda logo, the space above it is actually completely closed off by the slat above it, and the slot where they fit is exactly the right size for the ghosts lights so anything larger would have to be mounted behind the grill and loose off axis lighting. I had thought about a pair of LINZ6s, but they would be to big, so I was moving away from them unless you guys think they would work at that location. I had also thought about going with a pair of the whelen fog lights in green that are interleaved with white so they can still function as fog lights rather than grill lights due to all the restrictions on the grill lights. One last question, what is the difference between the Whelen slimlighter models? They have a model listed as SLPMM** and SLPMM**P. I've never heard of different models of slimlighters, unless one is the 5 millimeter version and one is the TIR6 version. Anyways Thanks in advanced.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Keep it simple; I like your initial idea:

2 solid green ghosts in grill (or an economy brand equivalent by AWL or SNM)

Dual avenger dash

Rear headliner light (personally, I have never seen a Green TIR6 slimlighter, so you may have to look into an alternative like an AWL Pulse, SNM D12, Feniex Cobra 2x, etc)

How2075

May 23, 2011
USA/NY
emt111 said:
Hey guys, I'm looking to add some more lights to my 2005 CR-V. Currently all I have is a whelen dual avenger centered on the dash. I had an idea for a light package but I've never really done this so you guys might have an idea that I missed. Lights can be green, amber, or white (NYS EMT). I would also prefer to go with a clean and simple package since it's they're curtsey lights, most of our members only have a dash light (we can have more though, but I don't want to be the only one with 20 lights) and as a recent college grad, I'm on a budget. Here's a couple of pictures on an almost identical cr-v to mine since it's not a common vehicle on this site (I do have fog lights though.)

View attachment 63470

View attachment 63471

Here was my idea (based on what I have now and future purchasing plans):

Front:

1 x Whelen Dual Avenger (Green/Green)

2 x Grill Lights (probably will be soundoff ghosts due to size restriction and being readily available in green)

Rear:

1 x Whelen Slimlighter (Green/Amber)

I had at one time thought about putting two pairs of led hideaways in the clear parts of the taillights (green in the upper two and amber in the lower two) and then flashing them in an X pattern, but then I was thinking that might be too much. As for the grill lights, they have to go in the very bottom of the grill, in the slot directly below the Honda logo, the space above it is actually completely closed off by the slat above it, and the slot where they fit is exactly the right size for the ghosts lights so anything larger would have to be mounted behind the grill and loose off axis lighting. I had thought about a pair of LINZ6s, but they would be to big, so I was moving away from them unless you guys think they would work at that location. I had also thought about going with a pair of the whelen fog lights in green that are interleaved with white so they can still function as fog lights rather than grill lights due to all the restrictions on the grill lights. One last question, what is the difference between the Whelen slimlighter models? They have a model listed as SLPMM** and SLPMM**P. I've never heard of different models of slimlighters, unless one is the 5 millimeter version and one is the TIR6 version. Anyways Thanks in advanced.

I think your set up is G2G. Less is more.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
You have a 2nd Gen CR-V, it is a law that you must do the hide away LED's in the clear lens sections of the tail lights.

On a side note, things about your CR-V...

It is built on the same platform as the Civic.

It was designed to be a recreational vehicle, in the back cargo area, the floor comes out and turns into a picnic table.

Take the front seat head rests off, slide the front seats forward, and lay the front seat backs down to meet the bottom of the back seats and you have a chaise lounge.

Great choice in vehicles, the 2nd generation CR-V is one of my favorite vehicles.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Those reverse light housings are BEGGING for LAWs!

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I like your setup ideas, that should make for an effective setup. I'd make a few changes though.

Front:

Avenger flash solid on action flash

Feniex T6s G/G mounted in lower grill

Feniex Cannons W/W mounted in fog light openings synced in an x-pattern with the T6s

Rear:

Slimlighter A/G (the Whelen website says both colors are available but it will probably have to be special ordered because it's not very common)

Feniex Cannons W/W in the lower clear taillight section

Or what you could do that would be cool is put four Cannons to the rear and sync them in a big x-pattern

emt111

Jun 10, 2011
New York
HILO said:
You have a 2nd Gen CR-V, it is a law that you must do the hide away LED's in the clear lens sections of the tail lights.

On a side note, things about your CR-V...

It is built on the same platform as the Civic.

It was designed to be a recreational vehicle, in the back cargo area, the floor comes out and turns into a picnic table.

Take the front seat head rests off, slide the front seats forward, and lay the front seat backs down to meet the bottom of the back seats and you have a chaise lounge.

Great choice in vehicles, the 2nd generation CR-V is one of my favorite vehicles.

It is a great SUV, 4WD, good mpg for a 4WD SUV, and plus the table is great cause I'm at outdoor events alot.

acala91 said:
Rear:

Slimlighter A/G (the Whelen website says both colors are available but it will probably have to be special ordered because it's not very common)

Or what you could do that would be cool is put four Cannons to the rear and sync them in a big x-pattern

I had talked to Whelen about doing a custom order for a G/G slimlighter, they wanted $500, no where near my budget. I did find a sight that claims they slimlighters that they can do solid green or any combination of green and another color for $250, but they made me make an account to place an order and Hotmail told me the account activation e-mail 'failed our fraud detection checks." and then the site got a little weird with error messages when I initially logged in. The company/outfitter is Interceptor Public Safety Products, Inc. (Interceptor Public Safety Products - Interceptor Public Safety Products) Anyone know anything about them? I just want to make sure I'm not getting a knock off, cause like pdk9 said, I've never seen a green slimlighter anywhere else, plus I wouldn't think any whelen product in green be that close to the price the major places are selling them for, since they're usually special order.

As for putting 4 cannons in the rear I still really like the idea, but that's at least going to have to wait till I'm working full time, which should be towards the end of next month. I'll probably get the slimlighter, and see what my captain thinks, in terms of if it's too many lights before I put anything else to the rear.

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
emt111 said:
It is a great SUV, 4WD, good mpg for a 4WD SUV, and plus the table is great cause I'm at outdoor events alot.

I had talked to Whelen about doing a custom order for a G/G slimlighter, they wanted $500, no where near my budget. I did find a sight that claims they slimlighters that they can do solid green or any combination of green and another color for $250, but they made me make an account to place an order and Hotmail told me the account activation e-mail 'failed our fraud detection checks." and then the site got a little weird with error messages when I initially logged in. The company/outfitter is Interceptor Public Safety Products, Inc. (Interceptor Public Safety Products - Interceptor Public Safety Products) Anyone know anything about them? I just want to make sure I'm not getting a knock off, cause like pdk9 said, I've never seen a green slimlighter anywhere else, plus I wouldn't think any whelen product in green be that close to the price the major places are selling them for, since they're usually special order.

As for putting 4 cannons in the rear I still really like the idea, but that's at least going to have to wait till I'm working full time, which should be towards the end of next month. I'll probably get the slimlighter, and see what my captain thinks, in terms of if it's too many lights before I put anything else to the rear.

I know of Interceptor been by there place before but have never dealt with them. They always have a lot of units waiting for upfit. If you want to stay in the $250 range get two SNM D12s that can sync. 1 a/a 1 g/g. Set them where both amber alternate against both green this will give you big blocks of light and more light for the money.

Kind of like this or swap sides with the colors.

crv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
emt111 said:

In that case, I would just go with a Feniex Cobra 400 setup A/A/G/G.

Feniex Cobra 400

emt111

Jun 10, 2011
New York
Marc M said:
I know of Interceptor been by there place before but have never dealt with them. They always have a lot of units waiting for upfit. If you want to stay in the $250 range get two SNM D12s that can sync. 1 a/a 1 g/g. Set them where both amber alternate against both green this will give you big blocks of light and more light for the money.

Kind of like this or swap sides with the colors.

I like the light but the rear windshield is almost completely horizontal so the lights would have to be mounted a pretty good distance back from the windshield or they would have to be modified and have the flashback shield taken off. Secondly, there are large pillars on either side of that glass and plus you loose about half the glass you do have to a rather large third brake light. There's actually only about 10" of room on either side of the third brake lights to mount something

acala91 said:
In that case, I would just go with a Feniex Cobra 400 setup A/A/G/G.

Feniex Cobra 400

Not that I have anything against feniex, but I am a big whelen fan. That plus I saw an older tahoe on this site, which had a interior lightbar and they had the colors and flash patterns set up so it looked like it was a color changing bar when it wasn't. Ever since then I've wanted to do a rear light bar setup like that and in my opinion, you'd need at least an 8 head bar for that. Also, I'm trying to avoid hardwiring anything (my plan was to run the cigarette lighter cord on the slimlighter under the paneling to the cigarette lighter up front.) since I'm only working seasonal jobs and don't have my own place yet. I don't want to do a full install with green right now and then in a month or two get offered a permanent job and move out of state where green doesn't mean anything (which is almost everywhere else) and then have to take out all the green lights and put in lights in the new color.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bfpd108

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.