2005 Suburban Flush mount 500 Series strobes, advice?

big4ok

Jul 15, 2010
OKC, OK
Hey guys, we purchased a 2005 Suburban for our fire command vehicle, and I have a couple of extra red 500 series strobes, and I was thinking of cutting a whole and flush mounting them to the fender, any advice, good idea or bad?

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I'd sell the strobes and use them to fund the purchase of some surface mount LEDs. With 500 series strobes, due to being smaller size, they won't be that noticeable, ESPECIALLY red. A pair of 3LED pimp pods would be less than $100 and a LOT more noticeable.

cory y

May 21, 2010
he has strobes, he wants to use the strobes, let him use the strobes!

Strobes are still damn good!

as for location of the mounting, I think that you should mount them as far forward as possible, be it vertically right aft of the lights or horizontally above the fender.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Strobes are so-so. They've gotten to the point that strobes are now a special order with some fire apparatus, as they'll only offer halogen or LED as standard. If you run them at higher wattage, they might be okay, but then you're gonna burn 'em out quicker depending on how often their used. Now, 700 series strobes on a fender would look better than the 500 series, as they'd be bigger, giving a bigger footprint from a distance. Those have been used on a ton of SUVs and ambos.

Just cuz you got something laying around doesn't mean it needs to be used or it's the best application.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I wouldn't waste the time and cut-damage to mount a 500 series strobe..... not that bright, trouble and expense to relamp if they blow. Not worth the hassle for moderate light output.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
i agree, we got some surface mount strobes on our brush truck, and as they get used more and more, they have a tendancy to blow and become very expensive to replace. that and replacement housings if those should break, are getting up there in price too

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.