2006 Ford F150 POV

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
This is my first real install. I would appreciate any ideas or recommendations. I have a very limited budget, but I am very impressed with the AWL lights I have gotten. I have a RX 46 light bar, for the rear window, that is still on backorder.

I live in IL so I have to stick to Blue and White. We are a volunteer only department and we have 12 guys, and I live farthest away from the station. During working hours on weekdays I am usually the one of the few people who responds. And when I respond at night I usually respond to the scene.

Front:

-AWL Venom Blue/Blue

-AWL SMT3 Blue(x2, on license plate bracket)

-Whelen HF

-Setina PB400 Push Bumper

Side:

-AWL SMT3 Blue (each side of push bumper)

Rear:

-AWL RX 46 (BACKORDERED)

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_03_beqyqeze.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_03_y5yruqab.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_03_tade7uda.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_03_9y5e5y8a.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_03_a9etagy9.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_03_ynunevus.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_03_6ybe9y4y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
I dont know what happened. I tried to attach a couple of photos and the post disappeared. I will try again when I am near a computer.

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
2006 Ford F150 Fire POV

Located in IL so I have to have blue and/or white.

I have a limited budget and wanted to do this cheap, but still use quality lights. I chose to use Advanced Warning Lights after hearing a lot of good things about the company and products.

I am very satisfied with the lights thus far. They move traffic very effectively.

Front:

-AWL Venom B/B

-AWL SMT3 Blue (×2 on license plate bracket)

-Whelen HLF

Side:

-AWL SMT 3 Blue

Rear:

-AWL RX-46 B/B (BACKORDERED)

-Whelen TFL

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_suzageru.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_myhe2yru.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_ba7yvuze.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_a7ytute9.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_2ebe5e5a.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_zy9e9eta.jpg

http://youtu.be/ivMn1BiIQC0

http://youtu.be/KzS4HIWozrs

I realize I need another light to the side but I am not sure what I want to do yet.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Good, simple, effective setup. I believe you'll continue to like the lights. I've had my original Venom(b/w) for over a year now and it has moved traffic effectively since I've owned it. Also own an AWL Pulse 2 in the woman's Mustang and it works great.

One thing; Grill lights and/or an HLF. Trucks ride high, and if you're reasonably close behind a car they may not catch the lightbar up there. An HLF and/or a couple grill lights will add a (mid)layer of effectiveness and provide a better punch. Just my :twocents:

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Should have mounted the SMT3s horizontal on the PB side - you will get better light spread from the TIR optics in that manner.

I would also move the front license plate lights up to the grill where they can be easier seen in someone's rearview mirror - when mounted on the rear their being low isnt as much an issue as it is in the front.

Finish it off with a HLF/TLF (best light for the money spent) and call it a day.

[hijack]Sorry to see you guys legislature dont understand the need for EV lights by volunteers, especially in all volly organizations.[/hijack]

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
I edited my post. I added a couple of videos. The camera on my phone does not do the lights justice. I also need clear that I do have a head light flasher and tail light flasher. I would like to move the SMT3s from the license plate to the side, either on the running board or in the rear passenger door windows. I would then get a couple of better lights for the grille.

As for the IL legislature, its screwed up on many, many levels. Our department is all volunteer, with 12 of us. No first responders (for medical calls), 5 trucks. 2 engines and a tanker, all of which are 1970s model fords and chevys. 2 brush trucks: a 1990s chevy and a 2006 dodge dually. We are currently trying to get first responders. One of which will be me, and I will be taking an EMT Basic course. This will help us a ton, and the citizens of our district. Typical ambulance response from a nearby town is 30 minutes. Can be as much as an hour. And that's in good weather.

Anywho, I am pleased with the lights, but still planning on altering the grille lights, and add lights to the side.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Now I feel like a dumbass... Now I see the HLF. -.-

Anywho, yes I would move the lights by the front plate to the grill, but other than that.. still good.

Then again I'm illiterate/blind, so you can probably just ignore me.

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
I mounted the light vertical just because the push bumper had a large slot there to run wires. Would a linear light work better there, vertically?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
if youre thinking about a linear light on the side of a PB, mount it horizontally, youll get a much better spread.

why not take the lights you have on the LP and move them to the sides somewhere, and get a bigger pair of grill lights, like 6 over 6 Whelen 400 series with pedestal mounts on the push bar, or M4s, or M6s

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
Storm thats exactly what i plan on doing. As soon as i get some more cash. Lol. But for now i moved the lp lights to the grill and it looks a lot better imo.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_dupa6are.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_04_upu9ysy4.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
ozzyy1 said:
2006 Ford F150 Fire POV

Located in IL so I have to have blue and/or white.

I have a limited budget and wanted to do this cheap, but still use quality lights. I chose to use Advanced Warning Lights after hearing a lot of good things about the company and products.

I am very satisfied with the lights thus far. They move traffic very effectively.

Front:

-AWL Venom B/B

-AWL SMT3 Blue (×2 on license plate bracket)

-Whelen HLF

Side:

-AWL SMT 3 Blue

Rear:

-AWL RX-46 B/B (BACKORDERED)

-Whelen TFL

I realize I need another light to the side but I am not sure what I want to do yet.

Looks good, & version 3 looks a lot better than the version with the front LP bracket...IMO, it was too low & nobody usually mounts those LP brackets up front. Also, the SMT3s look small for a truck, so I recommend moving those to the rear LP & either mounting a pair of solid blue SMT6 on the grill (when u get some $) or an AWL RX stick onto the PB.

As for the sides, you can move the PB SMTs (put them on L-brackets with 3M tape for the rear sides of the cab) & get a linear light like storm said for the PB sides.

As for the back ordered stick for the rear, I think you should ask Tom if he could do a different configuration with some amber in the center (instead of the solid blue stick to the rear)

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
I agree. Money is the only constraint right now. As for the rear bar. I would like to have a traffic advisor with flashing ends eventually. And im not sure how LEOs would like the amber and blue to the rear. The statute says fireman are allowed blue and white. Doesnt mention amber. So it most likely wouldnt be a problem. But im not sure.

Jul 24, 2012
Lawrenceburg, KY
Eric1249 said:
Is there a pattern on the bar where it is the entire left side then the entire right side? It would give you a nice footprint,

I agree with this! I would also sync the grille lights and Interior bar together in an x pattern if you can. It would really look Great then. That being said, the truck already looks great and I'm excited to see what else you do to it. :thumbsup:

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
Eric1249 said:
Is there a pattern on the bar where it is the entire left side then the entire right side? It would give you a nice footprint,

Yes there is. One is just each side flashing back and forth. Another is each flashing back and forth but the speed gets faster and slower.

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
FF/EMT-B HADEN said:
I agree with this! I would also sync the grille lights and Interior bar together in an x pattern if you can. It would really look Great then. That being said, the truck already looks great and I'm excited to see what else you do to it. :thumbsup:

I will try to sync them together tomorrow.

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
Thanks. I try to keep things simple, but still work. A friend of mine has a unity spot light that would fit my truck. But I'm not sure about drilling a 1/2' hole through my A pillar. But it would look cool IMO.

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
Thanks. I think it will look better when/if i can sync the grill lights and the visor light.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
MUCH better with the lights in the grill! I'm a big fan of the in/out pattern on the Venom, but to each their own there.

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
Im not too picky about the patter. I like several of the options the venom has. The in/out was my first choice. But the consensus seemed to be the 1/2 and 1/2. I havent totally made up my mind yet. Lol

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have a Pegasus that I ran to an external flasher. I had it on the inside outside pattern but then I changed it to entire right then entire left side. Personally I think the larger foot print is more effective. I think if you can run everything to an external flasher it just makes things easier to sync.

Lights look much better in the grill.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I much prefer the half and half pattern. The larger blocks of light are more effective.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
ozzyy1 said:
Im not too picky about the patter. I like several of the options the venom has. The in/out was my first choice. But the consensus seemed to be the 1/2 and 1/2. I havent totally made up my mind yet. Lol

I wouldnt say the consensus is 1/2-1/2 but more so that large blacks of light are more effective than smaller ones. Its the reason there is so much talk about "split fail" here. If you flashed two heads, on each side, alternating with the other two light heads on each side in a very basic pattern it would be effective too but flashing a head at a time in some randomized pattern may look awesome up close but if you back up 100yds or so and look at the difference between large and small blocks of light you will see why its mentioned that flashing larger patterns are more effective.

OOMV.

Crip

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
Thanks for all the advise guys. I set it to the 1/2 and 1/2 pattern, but I used a momentary switch so I can still cycle through the flash patterns and T.A. functions. Now I am waiting on the RX bar for the rear window.

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
I got a few (6) AWL SMT3s from a friend for a low price. I added one in each side door and 4 in the rear window.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_16_epe3eza3.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_16_9yqyjare.jpg

Video to come.

Jul 24, 2012
Lawrenceburg, KY
ozzyy1 said:
I got a few (6) AWL SMT3s from a friend for a low price. I added one in each side door and 4 in the rear window.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_16_epe3eza3.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_16_9yqyjare.jpg

Video to come.

Looking forward to the video. :yes: What colors are they? All Blue?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Looks good. I would maybe try flashing each side as a pair instead of alternating them. This will give you a bigger foot print of light. (6 leds on at a time vs 3). Lookin really good so far.

Reactions: Eric1249

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Storm4200 said:
Looks good. I would maybe try flashing each side as a pair instead of alternating them. This will give you a bigger foot print of light. (6 leds on at a time vs 3). Lookin really good so far.

I agree. I did the same thing to my interior bar and it makes a big difference.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.