2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ POV (All Whelen)

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
I purchased this Tahoe about a year and a half ago. Ive had all different kinds of whelen lights through this. This final set up I want to keep permanent. I just bought from HPD a XLP inner edge all blue with TD, Cencom gold, and TAD8 RR,AAAA,BB. Currently it has the XLP and and D8 installed. The D8 is installed in the rear window up high. I also have Blue vertex in each of the reverse lights. Now this is what I have for spare stuff lying around.  (1) Whelen D8 All blue, (2) Whelen 400 Series Split Blue/Amber (Need Flasher have ULF44) (2) Whelen Lin 4 Blue/Amber. (8) Whelen Vertex All Blue.  (4) Whelen Vertex Red.  (1) Whelen Cencom gold brand new.  (1) Havis Shield Tahoe Console Mount.  (1) Uniden BCT15. I will include some pictures and a Old video of a Old whelen inner edge and the 400 series that were mounted a little off center so you guys could help me out on what should go where. Also If you have any other Light suggestions Im open to selling some things to get others. I'm also currently saving up to buy some Whelen Ions Blue/white from HPD also. Thanks for any help! Also the front Drive and passenger windows are tinted along with a 50% on the windshield

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

531595_4727775227351_1749624745_n.jpg

66180_4727771307253_346456921_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HPD84

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I purchased this Tahoe about a year and a half ago. Ive had all different kinds of whelen lights through this. This final set up I want to keep permanent. I just bought from HPD a XLP inner edge all blue with TD, Cencom gold, and TAD8 RR,AAAA,BB. Currently it has the XLP and and D8 installed. The D8 is installed in the rear window up high. I also have Blue vertex in each of the reverse lights. Now this is what I have for spare stuff lying around. (1) Whelen D8 All blue, (2) Whelen 400 Series Split Blue/Amber (Need Flasher have ULF44) (2) Whelen Lin 4 Blue/Amber. (8) Whelen Vertex All Blue. (4) Whelen Vertex Red. (1) Whelen Cencom gold brand new. (1) Havis Shield Tahoe Console Mount. (1) Uniden BCT15. I will include some pictures and a Old video of a Old whelen inner edge and the 400 series that were mounted a little off center so you guys could help me out on what should go where. Also If you have any other Light suggestions Im open to selling some things to get others. I'm also currently saving up to buy some Whelen Ions Blue/white from HPD also. Thanks for any help! Also the front Drive and passenger windows are tinted along with a 50% on the windshield
What state are you in/can you legally run a HLF and colors other than blue?

I would honestly sell a lot of the spare stuff you have. Thus, in addition to the inner edge, rear D8, & rear blue vertex, I'd do the following:

--2 blue vertex in fogs.

--blue D8 behind grill.

--SOS intersectors (blue) under mirrors.

--SOS blue nForce or whelen blue linz6 (2 per running board). U could use vertex on the running boards as a more covert alternative, but I honestly only think a blue vertex will be noticeable at night and not worth installing there (vertexes are small to start off and the color blue sucks during day)

--2 linz6 on rear LP.

--you could replace the DRLs with 2 of the blue vertexes u have, but I don't think that you need them + I don't think that LAWs in the Tahoe DRLs or turn signals leave much of a footprint, so I'd sell the extra vertexes.

--1 blue ion in each rear side window.

--IF you're legally permitted to use red to the rear, sync 2 red vertex in the brake lights with the 2 blue vertex in the reverse lights.

General advice:

Don't use split blue/clear ions; stick with solid colors. I wouldn't flash blue and amber at the same time up front. IF you can use a HLF, then I'd use one; otherwise if you're in a blue light state (ie NY) stick with all blue.

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
What state are you in/can you legally run a HLF and colors other than blue?

I would honestly sell a lot of the spare stuff you have. Thus, in addition to the inner edge, rear D8, & rear blue vertex, I'd do the following:

--2 blue vertex in fogs.

--blue D8 behind grill.

--SOS intersectors (blue) under mirrors.

--SOS blue nForce or whelen blue linz6 (2 per running board). U could use vertex on the running boards as a more covert alternative, but I honestly only think a blue vertex will be noticeable at night and not worth installing there (vertexes are small to start off and the color blue sucks during day)

--2 linz6 on rear LP.

--you could replace the DRLs with 2 of the blue vertexes u have, but I don't think that you need them + I don't think that LAWs in the Tahoe DRLs or turn signals leave much of a footprint, so I'd sell the extra vertexes.

--1 blue ion in each rear side window.

--IF you're legally permitted to use red to the rear, sync 2 red vertex in the brake lights with the 2 blue vertex in the reverse lights.

General advice:

Don't use split blue/clear ions; stick with solid colors. I wouldn't flash blue and amber at the same time up front. IF you can use a HLF, then I'd use one; otherwise if you're in a blue light state (ie NY) stick with all blue.
Ok thanks for the advice! I currently live in CT which is all blue. I can get away with white in the front but probably nothing more than that. For the vertex in the fogs.... I have also been looking at the Par 36's? Just to replace the actual fog light? I do not believe we can have  HLF.  What i was planning on doing with the Red Vertex was that I have seen on some installs in person that they install led tail lights and have it flicker when the brakes come on or when the turn signal light comes on?  Thanks!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Ok, the blue par36 sound great (the only reason I recommended the vertex there was b/c u already had them, but I'd go with the par fog lights over those any day). The whole "I'm allowed to use X color, but I can get away with using X color too" I a controversial topic here. I'd keep it real simple and stick with all blue (in other words, forget the clear) + solid color lightheads are so much more effective. All blue PAR36, D8, & inner edge up front will be bright as F@#K up front as long as u don't use stupid flash patterns (ie knight rider or scan on the D8; I'd recommend syncing the PARs & D8 on a fast pattern so that 4 of the TIR3s flash with one PAR, and the other 4 TIR3 flash with the other PAR. It's easy to replace the PARs b/c whelen has a Tahoe PAR kit. For the rear D8, I'd flash the outer 4 modules then flash the inner 4 modules (alternate outer and inner) but keep it on a wig wag speed so it's bright but not blinding

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Like pdk9 said, stick with all blue.  I had the PARs on my old truck and they are great lights.  Larger truck/grill so stick with two larger grill lights.  Then sync them with the PARS.

Reactions: bobsaudio

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Ok. When I get back the amber for sure will be taken out of the front. Ill put the all blue dominator 8 in the top portion of the grill and the all blue PAR 36's (If I can find any) in the fog lights. Would anyone recommend putting anything else in the lower half of the grille maybe 2 smaller lights? Like 2 all blue ions?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I don't think you would need any thing in the lower part of the grill. It will just be washed out by the D8. You will have plenty of forward warning.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Agreed. The D8 and PARs will be plenty, anything else in the grill will make it look too busy. 

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Finally got the PAR 36's and the whelen D8 mounted and only the Fog light option is hooked up at this time. Saving the wiring job for another day. Fog lights look great tho. Cant wait to see them at night!

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
looks outstanding!!

hows the output? useless?

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
looks outstanding!!

hows the output? useless?
Tried to get a picture at night but the light was to bright and just was not a good picture worth taking. The output of these lights are phenomenal! I was overly impressed with these lights. I can't wait to hook up the blues later this week. if anyone was thinking about these lights well worth the investment!

Reactions: Storm4200

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Inner edge is mounted but not wired all the way through Just thought i would test it out. Also put the Havis console in. Also would like some feedback on How to angle the control pad for the console how it is in the picture. I like how it is but how to make it stay how it is and dress it up a little. Also i took my Dominator 8 out of the rear window and picked up the Whelen TADF8 DUO light bar for the rear.

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

OutofCantrol

Jan 1, 2011
Some where CT
Good looking truck. The Tahoe's with the brake alert vertex are most likely HPD units which have Cantrols in them. You could use a UFL44 to get vertex to turn on regular steady with you brakes but unfortunately Whelen hasn't put the brake alert in UFL44s.

I'm in eastern ct if you need help feel free to PM me.

YPD-ACU

Mar 11, 2013
Westchester County, NY
Glad to see my old DUO Bar being put to good use. Thats a great spot for it. That thing has tremendous light output. Enjoy. Post a Vid after you get it all hooked up. Thanks Again

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Just one suggestion, flash the fogs as a whole light and alternate them side to side rather than up and down. It will be more effective from a distance.
I was scrolling down to say that exact same thing, but someone else shared my exact thoughts!! :goodpost:

I like the pattern on the inner edge but the one the dominator and the fogs are set to suck. 
:iagree:

:twocents:

Reactions: mikejr0711
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The ONLY thing I'd change is the fogs...  Set them to a side to side alternating pattern and it would be better...  And the pattern on the dominator is AWESOME!!!

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
The ONLY thing I'd change is the fogs...  Set them to a side to side alternating pattern and it would be better...  And the pattern on the dominator is AWESOME!!!
 When i was installing the fogs there didn't seem to be a sync wire so I could alternate them? Just hot, ground , pattern and then the drive light function?

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Great looking rig! I agree on changing the patterns on the fog lights and the Dominator. The rear looks perfect though- very effective without being overkill.  :thumbsup:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I like the lighting and good placement.  And it is not overdone.  Just change some of the patterns.  In the instructions for the Pars it should have how to change/set the patterns.  When I had them in my Explorer I set them to steady burn and ran them off a ULF44.  I was never a fan of the night rider pattern.  A good side to side pattern in the way to go. Maybe set the Dominator and Pars to a similar pattern?  You could always rewire the Dominator and  sync the it with the Pars.

Overall it is a nice install. 

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
NIce set up. I really like the rear TA/warning stick. I am in the minority here, but I really like the Knight Rider pattern. I think that it is really eye catching in the grille - it doesnt work as well in other settings. Your call obviously, but great stuff so far. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Love the tahoe, but I also think the flash patterns can use some work. My personal preference:

ILB: entire driver side flashing --> entire passenger side flashing

Grill Dominator: inner 4 modules alternating with outer 4 modules

PARs: flash both simultaneously (but no split)

Rear Doninator (same as front)

Beautiful 'hoe though!

mikejr0711

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
where did you mount the brain for the cencom.  Im am looking for ideas for my 2007 tahoe i have a ss2000sm on the way. 
I mounted the brain in the storage compartment between the two front seats. Just had to drill a Hole in the front wall going forward  to get the wires to the console. But if removed you can not tell there is a hole even there,

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.