2007 Chevy Avalanche POV

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
Here is my 2007 chevy avalanche POV.

Dash: Feniex Apollo

Light bar: strobesnmore mini bar(temporary until my Whelen Liberty is installed.)

Rear: Feniex cannon hide aways.

Havis console

Motorola CDM 1250 mobile radio

Feniex 4200.

Also I do not know how to remove the jpeg images from the post so just ignore them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks great. Think a pair of blue double-stacked T6 would look great behind the upper grill area, & u can call it a day once the avatar's on.

(PS thanks for actually having one of the few NY POVs where the owner doesn't self-empower himself to use a mix of any color he wants, ie red/clear/blue)

Dozzer295

Jun 23, 2012
Middle Tennessee, US
Just curious how do you like that SNM minibar? I' thinking about getting a duel color red and amber one for my 93 Grand Cherokee. Just trying to get some real world reviews on it even though mine would be a different color.

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
Dozzer295 said:
Just curious how do you like that SNM minibar? I' thinking about getting a duel color red and amber one for my 93 Grand Cherokee. Just trying to get some real world reviews on it even though mine would be a different color.

Love it, just not big enough for my truck.

Dozzer295

Jun 23, 2012
Middle Tennessee, US
yeah I can see your point it would probably look way too small on my 97 Tahoe, but I think my Grand Cherokee could pull off a minibar like that. It looks like that is among the best bang for your buck minibar on the market.

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
Dozzer295 said:
yeah I can see your point it would probably look way too small on my 97 Tahoe, but I think my Grand Cherokee could pull off a minibar like that. It looks like that is among the best bang for your buck minibar on the market.

it sure is

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
Looks great, I agree with the above: grill lights in addition to the new light bar would be perfect. Will the avatar be mounted higher than the mini-bar? Only concern is lack of visibility to the rear and sides because of the roof rack.

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
nightwolf said:
Looks great, I agree with the above: grill lights in addition to the new light bar would be perfect. Will the avatar be mounted higher than the mini-bar? Only concern is lack of visibility to the rear and sides because of the roof rack.

it sits higher so that wont be an issue

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Its AWESOME to see another Av on the board... Looks great... The Avatar will help immensely, but I (personally) would like something added that gives your warning some "width"... Like some Mirror Lights, or Grill Lights...

And the rear of the bar will still be blocked by the cross-rails of the roof rack... That's why I removed them from my Av...

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
I really don't want grill lights...That's why I have the dash light...I mean it works just as well and is easier to instal/wire.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Med352974 said:
I really don't want grill lights...That's why I have the dash light...I mean it works just as well and is easier to instal/wire.

I disagree. Grill lights define the width of the vehicle from a distance and give and element to your warning package that a dash light can't. A pair of Whelen TIR6s in the grill aren't too hard to install, can be found for less than $100 in the classifieds and look great in the upper part of the grill.

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
acala91 said:
I disagree. Grill lights define the width of the vehicle from a distance and give and element to your warning package that a dash light can't. A pair of Whelen TIR6s in the grill aren't too hard to install, can be found for less than $100 in the classifieds and look great in the upper part of the grill.

See my biggest problem is that if I put something in the grill I want to do a stick light. And I know, I know. I'm the only one that likes this, but still. Ehh well. Maybe after I get the bar paid for ill look.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Warning bars in the grill aren't my cup of tea but they can be effective. A Strobes N More E66 or a Microman bar would fit great and both are pretty cheap for what they offer.

jsearles

Mar 11, 2011
Upstate NY
Looking forward to seeing the avatar when you get it. I havent seen one up close yet. RB must really be paying the big bucks now. :p

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
pdk9 said:
Thanks for actually having one of the few NY POVs where the owner doesn't self-empower himself to use a mix of any color he wants, ie red/clear/blue

If you're gonna be picky, he is actually in direct violation of NY's unsafe and outdated laws, because he has more than one blue light. The only thing that I disagree with, and shouldn't be allowed at all is reds to the front on a volly's vehicle. I don't mind clear to the front, more than one light, or red/amber/blue to the rear. If I'm going to be stopped in traffic and out of my vehicle in the roadway, you better believe I'm not going to rely on a single blue light.

I run (and have always ran) blue and clear to the front. Never once has anything even been mentioned about it. I also run blue/amber to the rear. Also, I can't think of a single firefighter in 7 of our town's fire companies that has only one light.

Just sayin...

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
codycat91 said:
If you're gonna be picky, he is actually in direct violation of NY's unsafe and outdated laws, because he has more than one blue light. The only thing that I disagree with, and shouldn't be allowed at all is reds to the front on a volly's vehicle. I don't mind clear to the front, more than one light, or red/amber/blue to the rear. If I'm going to be stopped in traffic and out of my vehicle in the roadway, you better believe I'm not going to rely on a single blue light.

I run (and have always ran) blue and clear to the front. Never once has anything even been mentioned about it. I also run blue/amber to the rear. Also, I can't think of a single firefighter in 7 of our town's fire companies that has only one light.

Just sayin...
I'll agree with outdated laws, lol. But most of the time I only run the dash, or bar light, on scene is a different story.

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Hello from about 45 minutes south! Your vehicle looks good.

I want to comment on acala91's post. Grille lights in no way shape or form "define the width of the vehicle" How can they define width when there is usually at least 1-2 more feet outside of where most grille lights are? If you're looking to define width, mirror lights are probably your best bet.

Also, to Dozzer295, before I became an Asst. Chief, I had a SNM dual color minibar. That thing was awesome. I had blue/amber and both colors were extremely bright. Also, the magnet mounts were excellent, mine had a rubberized coating over them, even still, I had to climb onto the top of my truck to get the thing off.

I can't say enough good about those bars, my only small gripe was that the cord wasn't as long as I would have liked, I had mine on a 2011 F-150 super crew cab, and the bar was mounted on the exact center of the roof, and I only had enough wire length to run the cord between the door and cab (cord held up surprisingly well to a year of opening and closing the door, slight denting but no cuts) just down to the back of the front seats. I had to secure the switch there and run and extension cigar plug cord.

Other than that, loved it.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Surgicalcric said:
IMOO states dictating different light colors for volunteer personnel is silly at best. It is an outdated idea and should be rectified as it causes nothing but confusion among the populace.

I think the only thing worse than differences between states, is "courtesy" states. Wanna talk about confusion? It's nice till you get behind a car that is a.) rude, or b.) just doesn't see you. We have no audible warning allowed. Not to mention when you get to a red light. I usually turn my lights off if I come to a red light, then back on when it turns green. Not doing so makes cross traffic want to stop, but then you have to wave them on, etc etc etc. It actually causes less of a headache to not use lights at all while responding to the station in a courtesy-state

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
This is actually a good petition I read a while ago and saved:

To:

Pennsylvania department of transportation

I would like to express my concern with the current law in PA that restricts volunteer firefighters to only using a blue emergency warning light when responding to you and your neighbor's emergencies.

Over 90% of the fire departments in the United States are made up of men and women who volunteer countless hours of their days to provide emergency services for the general public. This being said, 90% of the fire departments in the U.S. do not have a crew at the station ready to roll out the door when the alarm sounds. Volunteer firefighters can be at home, at work, out driving, or anywhere else in their district when someone calls 911. It is essential that your firefighters arrive at their stations quickly, efficiently, and most importantly, SAFELY. After all, time is of the essence in every emergency response and a few seconds saved could mean a life saved.

The current Pennsylvania Motor Code states that a volunteer firefighter may, with the permission of a commanding officer and written notification of the PA State Police, equip their privately owned vehicle with an blue flashing light. The law states that this light is only to be regarded as a "courtesy light" and does not grant the user any special traffic privileges or require that normal traffic yield their right of way to the operator. In short, no one really has to pull over for firefighters. Also, volunteer firefighters are required to obey all speed limits, all traffic signals, and all traffic laws to the letter.

The law also states that volunteers may not equip more than 2 blue flashing lights on their vehicles and that their vehicles must be visible from 360 degrees. Simply put, these vehicles have to be visible from all angles. Increasing the limit of lights allowed would help lessen contradiction of these two clauses of the rule. It would also allow firefighters to be seen more readily from any angle.

This entire law could not be more confusing to the general public. It poses dangerous situations for firefighters responding to emergencies every day. For example, a fully qualified firefighter is coming up to an intersection flashing a blue light, responding to a reported house fire with victims entrapped on the second floor. The light turns yellow. The firefighter, following the speed limit, slows and prepares to stop because he cannot, under the current law, pass through the red light. The firefighter is now sitting at the red light, flashing his blue emergency light while the cross-traffic gets the green for 25 seconds. The other traffic delays moving forward because they believe the blue light POV is allowed to move through the red light, as every other emergency worker is. This causes confusion and traffic congestion. In those 25 seconds that the firefighter is sitting at the red light, the fire is intensifying and moving from the garage, to the living room, and from the living room to the second floor where the victims lie in wait.

Another example: A firefighter is responding to a Motor Vehicle Accident with rescue and entrapment. A car is on it's roof with 3 passengers. One of them is a 3 year old child. The firefighter activates his blue emergency light and starts heading to his station. He comes up behind a vehicle whose operator is apprently distracted by a cell phone. This takes attention away from their mirrors, which are the firefighter's only hope of being noticed.

If the current law were changed to allow volunteer firefighting personell flashing blue emergency lights to require the blocking traffic to yield their right of way, hundreds of seconds, minutes and lives can be spared. Also, your volunteers will be allowed a safer and more reassuring response to their stations to better serve their communities.

Of course, the use of blue lights is already restricted to those who can prove to operate them safely.

From one emergency services worker, to the general public, I implore you to sign this petition. Please help us to help you and your neighbors.

Thank you.

Brendan11

Nov 5, 2013
Illinois near St. Louis
1) The truck looks great, and I agree that a bar in the grill would really finish it off along with the avatar.

2) As I am from Illinois, I also despise the "courtesy light" laws. They make no sense and confuse people. I would love to get a petition like that started here in Illinois.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
emt322636 said:
Hello from about 45 minutes south! Your vehicle looks good.

I want to comment on acala91's post. Grille lights in no way shape or form "define the width of the vehicle" How can they define width when there is usually at least 1-2 more feet outside of where most grille lights are? If you're looking to define width, mirror lights are probably your best bet.

Also, to Dozzer295, before I became an Asst. Chief, I had a SNM dual color minibar. That thing was awesome. I had blue/amber and both colors were extremely bright. Also, the magnet mounts were excellent, mine had a rubberized coating over them, even still, I had to climb onto the top of my truck to get the thing off.

I can't say enough good about those bars, my only small gripe was that the cord wasn't as long as I would have liked, I had mine on a 2011 F-150 super crew cab, and the bar was mounted on the exact center of the roof, and I only had enough wire length to run the cord between the door and cab (cord held up surprisingly well to a year of opening and closing the door, slight denting but no cuts) just down to the back of the front seats. I had to secure the switch there and run and extension cigar plug cord.

Other than that, loved it.

Grill lights aren't ideal for defining the width but it is certainly better than a minibar and a dash light.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Nice install and I love the 4200. There are plenty of options far beyond simple switching functions.

As to your grill light vs light stick conundrum, I believe light sticks have their place. When looking to maintain a low profile such as you are doing it is the way to go IMO. The biggest mistake I see is that guys choose a pattern that flashes lightheads individually instead of in pairs or sections thus limiting light intensity. The other issue is mounting them too far back behind the grill.

My truck has two DBL T6s mounted to the horizontal support of my grill that provide great warning yet another paramedic has a SNM E46 mounted on the horizontal crossmember of his brush guard flashing in a split 1/2-1/2 pattern and to my eyes his is just as bright as mine at about 100 yds. Also with it mounted to his brush guard people think its off-road lights. My boss has two D4s mounted on each side of center behind his suburban grill and flashes on D4 then the other and his is very effective as well straight on. Where he loses light is off-axis due to the grill itself.

I said all that to say, stick with a stick if that's what ya want but thoroughly plan it's mounting location(s) and the pattern.

My two cents on it...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.