2007 Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Nothing Special at all, First install I Ever Did nothing too out there. Not great 360 Coverage but it was good enough for me

First Car ever had and Did Install on.

4 Led Hide-Away's (Clear) -Headlights & Reverse Lights

4 90 W Strobes (Clear) -Foglights & Brake Lights

1 STL 8 Head Amber LEd Traffic Advisor

2 STL Linear 4 Blue Grille Lights

-All ran to a tri-switch, w. Whelen Epsilon Siren/PA Combo

Not bad for First install let me know that you think! Thanks

:haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSqUXZV0Fc

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
What do you use them for? It doesn't seem like it would be a very effective setup for responding to any type of calls...

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
I would recommend some sort of dash light.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
tom said:
I would recommend some sort of dash light.

Was not used to respond to Calls or Emergency Situations. There were times for Work where i used it at a Scene, or other instance where it was just needed to simply move traffic, close a street etc.

For the Dashlight, i would have used one but did not have the Money for one back then.

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
To quote one of my favorite movies, and because I really don't think you're fire/ems/law enforcement "What is it you'd say......you do"

Alboy29 said:
Was not used to respond to Calls or Emergency Situations. There were times for Work where i used it at a Scene, or other instance where it was just needed to simply move traffic, close a street etc.

For the Dashlight, i would have used one but did not have the Money for one back then.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Blue to the front for LE? Blue & clear isn't legal in NY for FF, much less blue to the front for any form of LE or security.. hmm.

edit: and a siren? hmmmmmmmm.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
I seem to remember being told that blue to the front is legal in NY for law enforcement, and has been for about 5 years...

I know a lot of newer NYPD cars have W/R/B/R/B/R/W Vision SLR on 'em

And as for the siren, some folks can't afford to buy an airhorn/pa/aux one, ya' know?

Also, popcorn's ready, anyone want some?

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
Let's just give the OP a chance to say what the lights are for.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Ipuvaepe said:
I seem to remember being told that blue to the front is legal in NY for law enforcement, and has been for about 5 years...

And as for the siren, some folks can't afford to buy an airhorn/pa/aux one, ya' know?

Negative- blue to the rear is legal, in combination with red lights. The only people who should be running blue (and only blue) to the front are volunteer firefighters. This security whacker has an illegal ride for many reasons:

-blue and clear to the front

-siren with blue lights

-red to the rear (if you run blue to the front, you can't run red anywhere)

I see this post headed to the Ring in the future... :popcorn:

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
philyumpshus said:
Negative- blue to the rear is legal, in combination with red lights. The only people who should be running blue (and only blue) to the front are volunteer firefighters. This security whacker has an illegal ride for many reasons:

-blue and clear to the front

-siren with blue lights

-red to the rear (if you run blue to the front, you can't run red anywhere)

I see this post headed to the Ring in the future... :popcorn:

Blue is most definitely not the secondary color to the rear in PA. In fact, I have linked the laws regarding this (I believe it is title 75 section 4572 or 4752) a many times. In short, may have up to two flashing or revolving lights or one light bar (lights are defined as sources of light) that emits blue light that in combination (that's one bar OR two lights) shine 360 degrees, and no other color (and it specifically says "no other color". Department rules/urban mythology/common sense may contradict that, but I can tell you with 100% gaurantee that the law itself says blue and only blue.

However, what is enforced is is another ocean all together. Also, I have been told (by a police officer I was having a conversation with at the pump) it could be ("could be" as a matter of enforcement not a matter of trial) considered LEO impersonation in PA to use both red and blue, even if it's only r/b to the rear or red to the rear and blue to the front as in PA using Red and Blue is restricted to Police/Sheriff/Fire Police/Medical Examiner/Coroner, and even vehicles specially authorized as emergency vehicles (usually POVs (excluding Fire Department higherups (also R/R / R/W+Siren) and VFF (B/B courtesy no siren)), which is done by the state police) can't use R/B, but can use R/A or R/W (I have not read any judgements that either support or contradict R/B impersonation, so unlike the previous paragraph where it was actual code this is hearsay).

EDIT: Oh wow I screwed up my threads. I thought this was the PA 2011 GMC Terrain thread we were posting in, which had R/B to the rear and was also being discussed.

As for the NY R/B to the rear, that's what I thought. Again, screwed up my threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Ipuvaepe said:

The newer NYPD cars have the blue pods flash white to the front, blue to the rear I'm pretty sure.. and airhorns are illegal in NY on VFF vehicles ;)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
crash_over-ride said:
To quote one of my favorite movies, and because I really don't think you're fire/ems/law enforcement "What is it you'd say......you do"

actualy what bob says is... "what is you'd say you do here."

nother lane from same movie.

good luck with your interview bobs hope your firings go well.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Amanda said:
The newer NYPD cars have the blue pods flash white to the front, blue to the rear I'm pretty sure.. and airhorns are illegal in NY on VFF vehicles ;)

Correct. I have a Permit for the Blue Lights Also, for another Voulenteer group i belong to.

But again I am glad i Asked for the feedback on the lights when im getting questioned. Im in Law Enforcment, Do Security as a side job, and are part of several voulenteer groups that permit the Blue in the Front. However My NEW setup will not have blue in the front.

NYPD CARS USE ONLY BLUE IN THE BACK, ANYHTING ELSE IS CONSIDERED "FEDERAL POLICE" Or a Police Agency that is Tied in w. the Gov't, or inter-state agencies Example: ATF, DEA, etc.

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
Alboy29 said:
Correct. I have a Permit for the Blue Lights Also, for another Voulenteer group i belong to.
But again I am glad i Asked for the feedback on the lights when im getting questioned. Im in Law Enforcment, Do Security as a side job, and are part of several voulenteer groups that permit the Blue in the Front. However My NEW setup will not have blue in the front.

NYPD CARS USE ONLY BLUE IN THE BACK, ANYHTING ELSE IS CONSIDERED "FEDERAL POLICE" Or a Police Agency that is Tied in w. the Gov't, or inter-state agencies Example: ATF, DEA, etc.

Oh boy.........

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Alboy29 said:

I call bullshit. What "volunteer groups" allow you to run blue? Unless they're a fire department, you can't, plain and simple.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
tsquale said:
:popcorn: My turn to share the popcorn...come and get it!

*takes popcorn - nom nom nom* :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

NY let you have blue lights for CAP? Wow...

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Alboy29 said:
Civil Air Patrol

Thanks

I knew it wasn't a fire department. Sorry to burst your bubble but belonging to CAP doesn't authorize you to run blue lights. Hell, I doubt they have authorization to run any lights. I'm not here to bash CAP because they do a good job but some of their members lean a little too far towards the "federal agency" or "emergency responder" title that they use to abuse lighting regulations. But who am I, preaching to the choir. :weird:

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
So I did a Google search to see if I could find out anymore about Civil Air Patrol (CAP). I honestly wanted to educate myself because I really don't know much about it. I came across a message board that was discussing emergency lights on POVs. (found here Emergency Lights on Vehicles - CAP Talk, the unofficial Civil Air Patrol forum) The consensus seemed to be that the only thing needed is a small rotating amber light. One member posted the picture below. Now correct me if I'm wrong but if you are a law enforcement officer doing some kind of undercover work wouldn't the department supply you with the vehicle and/or needed emergency equipment? Don't know to many agencies that are using the Hyundai Santa Fe.

Also you never mention any kind of radio communications in the vehicle. As a law enforcement officer wouldn't that be kind of important? You are sort of coming across as a whacker.

emergency_flasher.jpg

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan
ISU_Cyclone said:
It's like a lifesize game of "Whack-a-mole"....they keep popping up.

Yea, first it was SP*** whatever his name was, and now this...person.. pop corn please. :popcorn:

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
smsales said:
Yea, first it was SP*** whatever his name was, and now this...person.. pop corn please. :popcorn:

RVGirlAlice was always the one that was like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Thankfully she has not been around lately.

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
This is absolutely ridiculous. As someone who has a valid blue light card, and who does volunteer FF/EMS in New York State, there is no reason for you to have ANY of those lights on your vehicle. Not only are forward facing blue reserved for volunteer FF, but clear flashing lights such as the LEDs in your headlights are reserved for legitimate emergency vehicles (i.e. fire chiefs and law enforcement). It is people like you, who whacker out their car with lights that have no legal use for, that give the rest of us a bad name. Please answer me these two questions:

-What "calls" do you respond to / give me specifics on why you think you need those lights?

-Are you an actual sworn law enforcement officer?

I have the following lights on my car:

B/B Avenger dash light

Blue LED Whelen responder mini-bar

rear facing B/A Talon.

By my own standards what I have on my car is excessive, but I have those lights because not only do I respond to the fire station in my capacity as a FD Captain, Firefighter, and Paramedic, but because I also take my car to scenes that are sometimes on busy roads and I worry about it getting struck onscene.

I look forward to your response.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
crash_over-ride said:
This is absolutely ridiculous. As someone who has a valid blue light card, and who does volunteer FF/EMS in New York State, there is no reason for you to have ANY of those lights on your vehicle. Not only are forward facing blue reserved for volunteer FF, but clear flashing lights such as the LEDs in your headlights are reserved for legitimate emergency vehicles (i.e. fire chiefs and law enforcement). It is people like you, who whacker out their car with lights that have no legal use for, that give the rest of us a bad name. Please answer me these two questions:

-What "calls" do you respond to / give me specifics on why you think you need those lights?

-Are you an actual sworn law enforcement officer?

I have the following lights on my car:

B/B Avenger dash light

Blue LED Whelen responder mini-bar

rear facing B/A Talon.

By my own standards what I have on my car is excessive, but I have those lights because not only do I respond to the fire station in my capacity as a FD Captain, Firefighter, and Paramedic, but because I also take my car to scenes that are sometimes on busy roads and I worry about it getting struck onscene.

I look forward to your response.

Blue lights for CAP? That's a nice load of bullshit, nice try.. try again. Even as a sworn LEO you're not supposed to have blue to the front of your vehicle unless you are supplied with a blue light permit by a FIRE CHIEF for being an active member of an FD. The siren definitely puts the topping on the cake, because unless you're an Authorized Emergency Vehicle (red & clear forward facing lights) you aren't supposed to have it... much less an airhorn as a VFF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
crash_over-ride said:
It is people like you, who whacker out their car with lights that have no legal use for, that give the rest of us a bad name.

Well put. It only takes one person to ruin it for a lot of people!

:popcorn:

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
:popcorn: this is getting interesting,think i may need more popcorn

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
:popcorn: pop corn get your pop corn here:popcorn:

heres 1 for you:popcorn:

and you :popcorn:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you:popcorn:

and hers a few extras in case:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:diggrave:

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
bwheelz05 said:
Do your civil air patrol planes have blue lights on them too? :crazy:

What......you have never seen a Cessna with a Edge 9000???? :weird:

bwheelz05

Aug 9, 2011
AZ/CO
FireMedic129 said:
What......you have never seen a Cessna with a Edge 9000???? :weird:

LOL maybe some pimp pods and a slimlighter in the windscreen... OH ANNNNNDDD two sirens with TWO speakers EACH. You do know that its noisy up there and just have to make sure that the other aircraft yield for you. :bonk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.