2008 Chevrolet Impala POV UPDATE 9-11-12

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Scroll down for update videos. Pics are on Flickr page (link below)

Used for paid-on-call fire department response.

Install done by parr555.

-----------------------------------------

HISTORY:

Overhead: Sound Off Pinnacle Mini - R/W

Dash: Whelen Slimmiser - R/W

Grille: Tomar RECT-13 - R, W

Deck: (2) Single Federal Signal Viper S2 - R

Siren: Signal Vehicle Products SS651

Speaker: Sound Off 100D

Switch: Unk. 3-Switch Panel

UPDATE:

Dash: Code 3 Dual Essex - R/W

UPDATE

Mirror: Sound Off Signal Ghost (2) - R/R

UPDATE

Rear Deck: SVP DL15-12 - A

UPDATE

Grille: Sound Off Signal LED3 - R

:cool:

Detailed Pics:

Flickr: jprleedy4680's Photostream

Cigar plug on the side of the console is for the overhead and wired into the switch panel. The lightbar still has a 2 year warranty,

so I did not want to cut the wire at the present time. The Viper wires are run in their present manner as I did not want holes drilled in the deck.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Everything in the front is too center... IMO you need something to make the warning footprint "wider" Like a HLF or HAWs/LAWs in the marker light sections or maybe even some MirrorBeams or Intersectors...

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
TritonBoulder47 said:
Everything in the front is too center... IMO you need something to make the warning footprint "wider" Like a HLF or HAWs/LAWs in the marker light sections or maybe even some MirrorBeams or Intersectors...

I was thinking of putting some Ghosts on the mirror bottoms in the future; kind of hoping prices on Vertexes will fall too.

I've spent my limit for awhile, though; :( just dropped $750 for EMT class and have to save for Paramedic and my degree.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
My only gripe (if you want to call it that) is that there is just as much white as there is Red. Yes, white is much brighter than the colors, but it will overpower the other colors, making it hard to tell that there is even red on the car.

Otherwise.... Looks GREAT!! :D

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Thanks! That is one thing I've noticed, the white is pretty powerful, especially at night. I'd like to get red Ghosts underneath both mirrors to set it apart, and as Triton suggested, leave a wider warning footprint.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Uses Code 3 T-REX Linear LED Heads, I believe.

The little bugger packs quite a punch; before I sold the Slimmiser I put them side by side, and there was no comparison. I am very impressed.

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
I would say get 2 more of the same grill lights and put 2 in the upper grill syncd to the lower ones in an X pattern and then I say trade the mini bar for a interior Lightbar. The bar kinda looks out of place up there. Besides that looks good

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
spc2315 said:
I would say get 2 more of the same grill lights and put 2 in the upper grill syncd to the lower ones in an X pattern and then I say trade the mini bar for a interior Lightbar. The bar kinda looks out of place up there. Besides that looks good

Thanks! I'd love to have an interior Pinnacle instead, but I have to meet state and departmental requirements, which mandate a roof-mounted lightbar. :rolleyes:

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
jprleedy4680 said:
Thanks! I'd love to have an interior Pinnacle instead, but I have to meet state and departmental requirements, which mandate a roof-mounted lightbar. :rolleyes:

Bummer :( even if you have 360* lighting on the interior they require a Lightbar?

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
spc2315 said:
Bummer :( even if you have 360* lighting on the interior they require a Lightbar?

Indeed. While many speculate whether or not the interior roofline counts as roof-mounted; and some people in the state do run 360 slicktop, my department requires an overhead lightbar.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
im not a fan of the lightbar...too bad you have to use one. I'd almost go with just a full sized lightbar. It looks weird with a mini lightbar. i think you should try and sync up your light too.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Quick update; added a SVP DL15-12 (amber) to the back window and changed my R/W RECT-13s to all red SOS LED3s.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Added a Code 3 H2 Covert Siren and Controller, used existing Sound Off 100D speaker.

uploadfromtaptalk1345836285399.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1345836302149.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1345836323884.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1345836362252.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1345836404502.jpg

Again, this is a nearly hole and drill-free install.

Hat-tip to parr555 once again!

KFRDtondout

Jan 9, 2011
WI
That is really nice, love the setup. actually thinking of doing a mini pinnacle myself even though its not mandated but want the extra warning for intersections I have to cross. Good job man.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
More coming soon; have newly installed SVP DLX4 lightheads (R/W) in the small windows by the c-post, and have an amber Viper en route to replace the DLX15-12 in the rear window.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
jprleedy4680 said:
Indeed. While many speculate whether or not the interior roofline counts as roof-mounted; and some people in the state do run 360 slicktop, my department requires an overhead lightbar.

It's a VFF car and it just looks the part with its mini bar... Very nice unit, not overdone.

Switch for an interior bar and you got a police slicktop lookalike... :(

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
jprleedy4680 said:
More coming soon; have newly installed SVP DLX4 lightheads (R/W) in the small windows by the c-post, and have an amber Viper en route to replace the DLX15-12 in the rear window.

Enough talk...I finally have some pics and a change or two.

As stated previously, the Viper (hat-tip to emtanderson51)

uploadfromtaptalk1347389784599.jpg

SVP DLX4

uploadfromtaptalk1347389822113.jpg

Now the change...

uploadfromtaptalk1347389859076.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1347389894118.jpg

Removed dash light and purchased two more LED3s in white for the grille. The red are on their existing quad pulse pattern, and the white are on a "Moduflash" type of pattern.

The white LED3s are now configured to be activated with the overhead at Level 3, while the reds along with the mirror lights are at Level 2. Rear flashers and C-Post lights come on with Level 1.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome; I'll be posting videos soon!

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
The single Viper in the middle of the deck breaks the otherwise perfect symetry of the setup. Except for that stupid Viper, it looks just dandy ! :)

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
TheGatekeeper said:
The single Viper in the middle of the deck breaks the otherwise perfect symetry of the setup. Except for that stupid Viper, it looks just dandy ! :)

I disagree, the lack of sync makes it less than ideal. If those three had been sync'ed (i.e. KKK spec) then you would have a great set up.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Rusted413 said:
I disagree, the lack of sync makes it less than ideal. If those three had been sync'ed (i.e. KKK spec) then you would have a great set up.

Everybody goes synch.

I like random. ;)

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Rusted413 said:

That's exactly what I wanted to do (Federal KKK spec.) but stupid me bought the ordinary Vipers instead of the sync! :rolleyes:

Beggars can't be choosers I guess; I was cut some good deals on both the red and the amber Vipers.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
jprleedy4680 said:
That's exactly what I wanted to do (Federal KKK spec.) but stupid me bought the ordinary Vipers instead of the sync! :rolleyes:

Beggars can't be choosers I guess; I was cut some good deals on both the red and the amber Vipers.

Ah bummer, good looking set up nonetheless! Thanks for sharing with us

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.