2008 Crown Victoria P71 POV

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
Any Recommendations or Suggestions and complaints are highly appreciated. Comment Below !

So plans didn't work go to plan with the new company vehicle and their solution as to increase our driving allowance. Nobody is happy but that was my decision to get a cheap, easily equipable vehicle. With that being said I did not wanna put a lot of KMS on my personal car so I picked this Used Ex-RCMP 2008 Crown Victoria P71.

What this vehicle will be used for, lane closure while our High Angle Techs are working on communication towers. It will also be used as a response vehicle (no traffic authority), as I am one of a few people that are high angle rescue trained for our company. My sole job on site is in regards to safety. 

All the whelen lights are tinted, which allows for people not immediately seeing the lights when they are off. Helps with the local Leo's, as to not harras the hell outta me. 

What there is for lights:

-Mounted on the push bumper, to the front:

2 Whelen V Series Amber Lightheads with a takedown feature.

On each side a Feniex Dual Color Apollo Series head.

- Front dash light is a Whelen Dual Avenger Super LED

- rear lights are a pair of whelen tir3s with tint cut out.

What I will be installing/or having installed:
-I would like to put a traffic director in the rear of the vehicle, currently 2 TIR3s just isnt enough to my liking. 
-I will also need to have the tint redone, as I made a attempt to save a couple hundred bucks and do it myself. What I learned was that ... I suck at tinting windows and it turn out absolutely horrible. So I willhave to have it removed and redone.
- I havent made a decision on side lighting but I would like to put some sort of alley light/warning light combo in the rear passenger doors.

- Center Console is needed, as there is no cup holders in this and I am honestly going crazy.

- New radio equipment will be installed, antennas are already installed in the vehicle 1- 400MHZ antenna and a 900 MHZ GPS Antenna.

Video will be posted shortly and in the meantime heres a bunch of pictures.

New Video will be taken tomorrow... I did the recording mistake.

http://youtu.be/Nc8bkjT0jTA 

20150514_212658_resized.jpg

20150514_212702_resized.jpg

20150514_212707_resized.jpg

20150514_212741_resized.jpg

20150514_212753_resized.jpg

20150514_212808_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
First let me get my popcorn... :popcorn: ...that's better.

If you're frequently doing lane closures, yeah I could see where a traffic director would be of use.  I know used CVPIs are a dime a dozen and decent work horses.  But, it sounds like a truck could have suited you just as well.  I'm just thinking if you do a lot of traffic control, you could fit a lot of cones in the back of a truck.

For the love of god, at least have a matching set of tail lights!  :haha:

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
If you are doing lane closures, you should have more rear warning than front...why intersection warning when the rear lacks proper warning?
I do agree with this, you need a lot more rear warning for doing lane closures.

Part of my job, is doing traffic control on the freeway, and closing lanes at accident scenes, and for safety if needed for disable vehicles.

Now I know you can't really bolt a big a** arrow board to your CVPI, like I have on my truck, but at the very least you need a T/A in the back window, and more rear lighting.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
WAY WAY WAY more lighting is needed in the rear. Not UFO lighting, but, what you have in the rear is no better than just having the 4 ways on, on the side of the road. Which is fine for when the car breaks down and you have to pull to the shoulder, but NOT fine for being the safety person/road blocker of a work zone.

You need an ext. cab truck with a headache rack and a roof mounted bar. THEN add supplemental lighting around. TA on the headache rack, spot/scene lights, etc. 

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
Firstly !!! I realized the taillights look stupid... I am going to the scrappers tomorrow to pick up new ones, dont shoot me man lol.

Let me explain a few things and why I picked a Crown Vic, 
A) They are a dime a dozen and are work horses, the parts are cheap and easy to find.

B) People see them on the side of the road and immediately slow down, regardless if lights are on..  Definitely a Plus Size
C) We get fuck all for vehicle allowance, I have debated a truck multiple times but until the KM allowance goes up I am barely breaking even with a car.

If I could afford a cheap, RELIABLE truck that was as easy as this to work on, I would.

Rear lighting is on the way! I will update it when I get it.
Currently looking at the Feniex Arrow Sticks, along with bigger or brighter lights. Thinking Whelen IONs would be best on the roof line of the rear window.

As for the "intersection warning" they are the dual color light heads, so they double as "Scene Lighting".

- As for the cones in a truck, we use the collapsible ones... With that being said we can fit a shit ton in the rear of the vehicle.

I should mention that our company ... the joke that it is supplied us with a single Whelen Dome Magnet Mount light and thought that was sufficient.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
You have a cheap car covered in expensive lights. You cant justify the CVPI based on it being affordable if its covered in Whelen lights.

Get a $3000 Chevy 1500, like a 98, SUPER easy to work on, and put a few bigger cheaper lights on it? And have more room for equipment and such?

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
7D9,

Your right that I have expenisve lights on the vehicle, as I had my magnum done up with all these lights previously. However I am still making payments on it so this is the replacement so I have a vehicle still by the time the payments are done.

When I bought this CVPI I just simply took the lights from the magnum and threw them on here. I bought the lights for the name, Whelen has established a decent record in the industry along with having a exclusive whelen dealer locally. that was the reasoning.

All new equipment is going to be feniex, as they are bright as hell along with cheaper then most brands.

I can literally go to pick and pull and pull parts outta 6-8 crown vics on any given day, so in reality .. yes overall it is cheaper. 
Once a arrowstick is added along with larger light heads, I believe this will be just as effective as the truck. If I can get a decent deal on a fullsize lightbar (Name brand) I will go that route, until then a slick top setup is what I have to work with.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
For the amount you'll spend on a feniex arrow stick and two new ions for the upper headliner you can get a used Whelen Liberty on here.

Maybe a better overal option.

Seth

Reactions: cbpdogboy

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Im sorry but your just a poser cop wanna be if you bought a CVPI and make it look like a detectives vehicle and then brag about how people slow down when they see it.........

Buy a pick up truck and then go to your local auto parts store and buy a halogen rotator bar for the roof with a cigar plug and call it a day....

DONT buy a cop car pimp it out to look more like a cop car and then try to justify why you need cop car stuff for "High angle Tech Rescue" which I promise you bro probably only happens like once every few fricken YEARS!

I have been a firefighter, a medic, and a police officer for several years and I have only once EVER responded to a guy that fell off a tower one time and that's like in a combined service time of like 8 years dude......

I think you just like to scare people and want them to think your a cop....

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
C17,

You have a extremely valid point, that being said I have been speaking with a gentlemen regarding purchasing his full size lightbar for the roof. 

As for your comments Station 3,
Firstly your disrespectful comments arent needed. If you would like to play the insult game find someone else. I bought a crown vic because it was cheap, suited my needs along with if it needs any work done on it in the future the parts can be gotten easily and cheap. 

When working roadside having people go slower is always a plus. If the vehicle is what causes it so be it. With that being said, I would rather be hit at 60 then 100 KM/H, as statistically you have a higher survival rate. 

The vehicle will be decaled, and wont be a complete slick top for long so you can shove your attitude. As for the rescues, we have had 3 in the last year along with other medical incidents. So what happens in texas and what happens here is two different things. All 3 of the rescues were due to ice on our communication towers resulting in slips.

Once its decaled ill post follow up pictures, but until then.. Your attitude... Take it elsewhere.

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
If you think that having a CVPI decked out with a few lights, and decals is going to make people slow down, then you are completely misguided, and probably should look for a different job.

People don't give a damn about lights or decals, trust me I know. I have people almost rear end my truck every day, that is with a full SSI Traffic Manager arrow board, full size light bar, mid level led lighting, reflective graphics, and a chevron decal package on the tailgate.

If you really want to be effective at blocking lanes, you would be better off with a pickup truck, with a light bar and a bed full of traffic cones, and spend the money on training for the Traffic Incident Management System.

Reactions: Station 3

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
I had my magnum done up previous to the crown vic, pretty much same setup. It worked perfectly fine, our move over laws here are strictly enforced and work fine. The decals are to stop the slight few that have a large problem with the vehicle, if I didnt give a rats A$$ I would leave it slick topped, the local LE agency here doesnt have a problem with it and that is all that matters. 

With a decent lighting package the car can be just as effective as blocking lanes as a truck. Example our citys bylaw team runs little priuses with 2 hideaways and 2 ions in the back and commonly does run blocks and such. The norm here may be different then the norm elsewhere. I didnt post the vehicle for acceptance on the vehicle choice. I was looking for lighting suggestions. Which alot of members here mentioned great tips, some that I will take.... But I am not buying a new vehicle.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Im sorry but your just a poser cop wanna be if you bought a CVPI and make it look like a detectives vehicle and then brag about how people slow down when they see it.........

Buy a pick up truck and then go to your local auto parts store and buy a halogen rotator bar for the roof with a cigar plug and call it a day....

DONT buy a cop car pimp it out to look more like a cop car and then try to justify why you need cop car stuff for "High angle Tech Rescue" which I promise you bro probably only happens like once every few fricken YEARS!

I have been a firefighter, a medic, and a police officer for several years and I have only once EVER responded to a guy that fell off a tower one time and that's like in a combined service time of like 8 years dude......

I think you just like to scare people and want them to think your a cop....
As for your comments Station 3,

Firstly your disrespectful comments arent needed.

The vehicle will be decaled, and wont be a complete slick top for long so you can shove your attitude. As for the rescues, we have had 3 in the last year along with other medical incidents. So what happens in texas and what happens here is two different things. All 3 of the rescues were due to ice on our communication towers resulting in slips.

Your attitude... Take it elsewhere.
If you think that having a CVPI decked out with a few lights, and decals is going to make people slow down, then you are completely misguided, and probably should look for a different job.
I had my magnum done up previous to the crown vic, pretty much same setup. It worked perfectly fine, our move over laws here are strictly enforced and work fine.
Garza, you were a bit harsh, although the vast majority of people here, Mr. Edmontonsecurity, who purchase CVPI's and deck them out for "road assist/security/public aid/REACT" garbage.. Well, know what the 'I' in CVPI stands for?

Interceptor.

Hardly need an INTERCEPTOR to park on a scene.

I do agree, if for blocking, or wanting to be seen... Get a panel van, get an SUV, or pickup. Square footage (or square meters for you silly metric folk) matter, in terms of wanting to be seen.

Also, guys, remember one important thing.....

He's from Canada. This is the only place on earth you could mess around with someone's mother or sister, and they thank you afterwards (they're just TOO damn polite). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
Zapp,

I can honestly say that is probably the funniest thing I have heard all day, "He's from Canada. This is the only place on earth you could mess around with someone's mother or sister, and they thank you afterwards (they're just TOO damn polite).  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:".

As for the truck, I see your guys point... Dont get me wrong. Ive had a SUV, I prefer large sedans. 

As mentioned though in regards to your comment  "road assist/security/public aid/REACT" garbage", this vehicle isnt used for any of that. It is a work vehicle, used for work. My everyday driver when not at work is a magnum as all the lights and crap have been removed from it. 

Thanks for keeping it civil, and the laugh.  

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Zapp,

I can honestly say that is probably the funniest thing I have heard all day, "He's from Canada. This is the only place on earth you could mess around with someone's mother or sister, and they thank you afterwards (they're just TOO damn polite).  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:".

Thanks for keeping it civil, and the laugh. 
doing my job.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.