2008 Ford Escape *UPDATED 5/15/12*

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
*Updated/complete pics added 5/15/2012*

Started my install this week and so far things have turned out rather well. The battery wiring; fused @ 150A.

I am working from the rear forward as the console takes 3 or so weeks to get here and I will have the other stuff earlier than that.

I have installed 2 Whelen TIR3s and a Strobesnmore E48 directional bar. I will grab some pics of the bar tomorrow afternoon.

Tried to get some video using my phone but it didnt capture the correct flash pattern on the TIR3s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5yNrmDHlJg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
KRC845 said:
Started my install this week and so far things have turned out rather well. The battery wiring; fused @ 150A.
I am working from the rear forward as the console takes 3 or so weeks to get here and I will have the other stuff earlier than that.

I have installed 2 Whelen TIR3s and a Strobesnmore E48 directional bar. I will grab some pics of the bar tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not exactly sure what all you will be installing in this vehicle but I think 150a fuse might be a little much. My install is pretty complex and I am running a 50 amp Resettable breaker.

Like this:

aimages.drillspot.com_pimages_8175_817555_300.jpg

Again, I'm not exactly sure what all you are installing, but what you have so far look great!

If possible could you grab a photo of the E48 bar off during the day with back window open, I am curious how well it fits in there.

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
andrewsim said:
I'm not exactly sure what all you will be installing in this vehicle but I think 150a fuse might be a little much. My install is pretty complex and I am running a 50 amp Resettable breaker.

Like this:

aimages.drillspot.com_pimages_8175_817555_300.jpg

Again, I'm not exactly sure what all you are installing, but what you have so far look great!

If possible could you grab a photo of the E48 bar off during the day with back window open, I am curious how well it fits in there.

The 150A fuse was already installed from the previous owner. They had some sort of AMP hooked up setting in the back of the vehicle, what for I am not sure. I do know it took the work out for me under the hood...for now. The E48 fits but is snug, just enough room and I mean JUST enough room. I am thinking about maybe trading it for a 6 light head. Ill post some more pics in a few hours.

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
Heads up remember that im working from the rear forward and that I have no console to hook these up to or run wires to, hence the reason you see all of the wires. Once everything is delivered it will be wired correctly...

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

Smebdysme1

Mar 9, 2012
USA, Florida
The install looks good so far! When you get the chance, can we get a video of the E48 during the day? Both through the tint and rear window open? I too drive an escape and I'm considering that TA. Just curious to see the intensity during the day. Thanks in advance!

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
hawkspringsfire said:
The back of your escape is starting to look like mine. Did you use the child seat hooks to mount the TA?
http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2003-ford-escape-updated-07-09-11-a-5/

I chose to mount it on the top of the hatch using self tapping screws.

Smebdysme1 said:
The install looks good so far! When you get the chance, can we get a video of the E48 during the day? Both through the tint and rear window open? I too drive an escape and I'm considering that TA. Just curious to see the intensity during the day. Thanks in advance!

I will get some more pics/video this weekend possibly if I get time to mount the Vertexes. If you choose to get a TA from Strobesnmore.com make sure not to get the E48 series. In my opinion its too long.

Smebdysme1

Mar 9, 2012
USA, Florida
I was thinking the same thing based on your picture. I was also thinking maybe a Whelen TAD6. That would fit right at the top of the window between the window brackets. Now heres my big question, i was considering license plate LEDs but wasnt sure how to go about running the wires, when you get around to your official install can you shed some light on this? Thanks again!

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
Smebdysme1 said:
I was thinking the same thing based on your picture. I was also thinking maybe a Whelen TAD6. That would fit right at the top of the window between the window brackets. Now heres my big question, i was considering license plate LEDs but wasnt sure how to go about running the wires, when you get around to your official install can you shed some light on this? Thanks again!

Yep, I will grab a picture of that as well...

In the mean time I got these yesterday :)

Will try to get to it tomorrow :)

538960_3423320315124_1633725195_32734329_672850089_n.jpg

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
Still waiting on the console so I can start finishing the wiring for the lights. Monday starts the 4th week since I have ordered the Havis Console, still no tracking information so god only know when I will get it. Will get the requested pics/video that others have asked for when I get a chance. Been pretty busy recently.

Smebdysme1

Mar 9, 2012
USA, Florida
Good to know about the wait time. Havis Console is defenitly a possibility. I love my escape but i wish it had a column shifter so i could use a less expensive console.

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
Apparently Strobes N More isnt a re-seller of Havis products. When someone ordered a Havis product from them they order the product them selves from an actual re-seller then that order is sent to Havis. Called and am attempting to get a PO number that Strobes N More used that I can give to Havis to track but will have to call them back as they emailed me the wrong information. Had I known it was gonna be like this I would have just ordered directly from Havis and spend the extra money.

Smebdysme1

Mar 9, 2012
USA, Florida
I hear ya on that. I hate waiting for my stuff to ship. I ordered from SNM in the past and it took almost 2 weeks for my lights to ship, and they were supposedly in stock. once they shipped it didnt take to long, but just that wait time for it to be shipped is a killer. Im probably going to completely outfit my escape with SNM LEDs. the prices are good and the reviews are excellent so im gunna try it out, plus your traffic bar looks good. Do they have an equipment bracket for your TA control head?

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
Smebdysme1 said:
Ah, good to know!

I plan on ordering the bracket for mine later this month. Wanted the console to show up first and get it in. Console should ship May 8th. I will be installing the inverter and the laptop stand Saturday. Hope to post more pics and or video.

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
Smebdysme1 said:
Looks good!!!

Thanks.

Just a quick update, I have talked with both Strobes N More and Havis and they have tracked down my order and I should have my console delivered Monday May 14th. I will finally get full pics and video of everything hopefully this coming week.

For now, here is the vertexes I put in a few weeks ago. Video taken from my cell phone at the fire station so you wont be able to see the actual flash pattern but its an alternating quad flash.

(forgive the volunteer you hear yapping in the background :p )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_hpEOreJ8

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
That console looks great! I like the LAWs with the exception of them being white to the rear. Nice looking install you have going there. :yes:

noturbizniss

Dec 6, 2011
New York
KRC845 said:
Finished for now, gotta add cup holders tho :)
Will get video and more pics later on.

Just some helpful advise - it looks to me like you are shooting your video with your phone held straight up and that's why the video is tall and thin. If you hold the phone sideways (90 degrees either way) you should get a much better quality video.

Held straight

If I am wrong then I apologize!!

noturbizniss

Dec 6, 2011
New York
KRC845 said:
I keep meaning to do it that way but I never remember. The detailed/walk around video will be better!

Great looking install btw:)

Looking forward to the walk around. The video angle is a pet peeve of mine cuz my wife does it all the time, and then you have all those cell phone videos on the news and nobody realizes the correct way to take the video.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Since you already have the exterior license plate lights, I would have installed the warning led bar under the roof rack cross bar. This would give you a substantial increase in warning output while still maintaining a low profile, imo.

Smebdysme1

Mar 9, 2012
USA, Florida
The vertex look good! Very nice output. I personally like the clear. It will go great with the amber. Console looks awesome! Great job man! Can't wait to see the detailed walk around!

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
cbpdogboy said:
Since you already have the exterior license plate lights, I would have installed the warning led bar under the roof rack cross bar. This would give you a substantial increase in warning output while still maintaining a low profile, imo.

I actually was going to do that however the TA is just a tad too long. I will likely switch it out with a Whelen D6 at some point. the TA isnt even wired, I cant make up my mind if I want to use it or not yet.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
KRC845 said:
I actually was going to do that however the TA is just a tad too long. I will likely switch it out with a Whelen D6 at some point. the TA isnt even wired, I cant make up my mind if I want to use it or not yet.

Will it fit in between the supports without using the cross support?

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
cbpdogboy said:
Will it fit in between the supports without using the cross support?

Just barley and the wires have to take a pretty sharp bend to make it fit. Not sure if I would want to keep it like that for a long period of time or not. I will prob just see if anyone on here wants to buy/trade.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.