Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Not gonna be low profile anymore haha :D

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Looks good. I may have missed it, but are you putting lights on the sides of the brush guard? I have Ions on the sides of my Explorer and they blend in nicely.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
were those LINZ6s on the sides of the front LP? mount those HORIZONTALLY right on the sides of the guard.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
All I got done today was get the grille lights mounted. I have the 400 series until I get brackets for the M4s. On the side of the grille guard will be a pair of LIN6s and later either vertexs or LAWS in the fog lights. More to come.

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_NCM_0132_zpsy5i7q5m6.JPG

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
hawkspringsfire said:
I have used other companies before such as Sound Off, Federal Signal, and Axixtech, but I prefer Whelen.

I was asking because after seeing Cannons in person I would go with Cannons vs the Whelen Vertex. I put some in my tail lights and everyone has been impressed.

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
not to thread jack but ...

I placed two cannons in the cargo lights of my f150. Impressed with them at night .. Day time totally washed out. then again could have been the small area of the cargo light to blame.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Eric1249 said:
Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

Being an Explorer guy, the Explorer forum is great. It hasn't cost me as much as elightbars has but there is great info there.

Thanks Eric, I am already a member there :)

I did get the brackets for the M4s and still have to paint them black and get them mounted. They will be mounted on Tue.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to mount M4s in a 400 series pedestal mounts here is what you have to make. I had to make a backing plate to mount the M4s to, I used a piece of ABS plastic.

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_NCM_0148_zpscu0rlbsm.jpg

Here is the finished product, I don't know why whelen doesn't make pedestal mounts for the M4s.

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_NCM_0149_zpsnrkntrmm.jpg

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Back to the drawing board. The nuts glued on the ABS plastic didn't work too well. I am going to go to a local metal shop and have them make the backings out of metal so they can weld the nuts to the metal and have them paint them black. More to come later, still looking for a set of Whelen LAWS for the foglights and replace the LIN3s with the LINZ6s on the rear.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Looking good. Not sure if it's something you're interested in but some strobe HAWs would work great in that location. Traditional LAW designs like the Cannon and Vertex aren't designed to be mounted like that. The output in that location would suck with that style of LAW.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
hawkspringsfire said:
Installed Whelen LAWs in the fog lights, but wouldn't you know it some of the leds are out. I will be looking for a replacement led head.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2009-ford-explorer-36765/

My bother had amber LAWs in his fog and reverse lamps. Due to the height of the heads when mounted, trying to get them as close as possible to the focal point, the plastic domes melted some. Also, 3 of the 4 heads had 1/4 or 1/2 of the LEDs that went out. Due to the issues, and mediocre performance, the LEDs were scrapped for a standard 4 outlet HAW strobe install.

He's....... er, um, I mean me...... has also done several updates to his vehicle since his last post in the thread above; no more Libby, replaced with a Responder LED, passenger side InnerEdge, Mirror lights replaced the Innerbeams, and a CCG replaced the SS2000SM.

Last edited by a moderator:

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
Installed a pair of Rigid Dually spot lights. I just need to figure how I am going to get them to flash when in pursuit mode?

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_Mobile_20Uploads_NCM_0346_zpsxzgbckeo.jpg
ERM has a flasher just for that function, it flashes then it lets you override the flashing with steady burn.

Reactions: Kd8bao

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
ERM has a flasher just for that function, it flashes then it lets you override the flashing with steady burn.
I second this... In my opinion, the ERM far surpasses the Whelen flash while being cheaper. 

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Reactions: C17LVFD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.