2009 Dodge Durango Slick Top Traffic Supervisor Unit

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
Here's another Durango I built around the same as the other one in the gallery. This one didn't have running boards, and I was supplied the Whelen pieces by the agency. The Chief of this department is ex-State Police and those ole boys drink the "W" kool-aid because that's all LSP runs, so we had to just have some "W" in the unit!! Enjoy!

Setina Push Bumper

FedSig AS124 / Tomar RECT37 TLEDs / Tomar RECT13s

Whelen W/W Flasher

Whelen Inner Edge (FedSig ViperS2 center)

Gamber-Johnson Console / Computer mount

Motorola Modem / Havis cover / FedSig TM Delta

SoundOff Ghosts (side rear windows)

Whelen Dominator 8 rear window

HAW strobes in tail lights

Tomar RECT13s on rear bumper fascia

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3394_3411603399_4a395488c9.jpgafarm4.static.flickr.com_3327_3412403582_6da8e325a5.jpg

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3317_3411599225_c94139bf9d.jpgafarm4.static.flickr.com_3630_3412404156_21c0eb006f.jpg

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3549_3412405312_454289253a_m.jpgafarm4.static.flickr.com_3656_3411600393_e041a12967_m.jpgafarm4.static.flickr.com_3630_3411601435_a8129d943e_m.jpgafarm4.static.flickr.com_3564_3412406454_0cce5e5a6e_m.jpg

cajunblitz

Truck 3

Mar 8, 2011
NY
How did you mount the dominator in the rear window? I bought a 8 head doominator and im trying to figure out how to mount it.

Thanks

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
"Thanks god they don't make them anymore! What a POS as a police vehicle". Ok then do you dare to explain how I just bought a 2011 Dodge Durango. Just got it 4 days ago, still putting in everything that I want in it, tho. :undecided: :undecided:

May 29, 2010
Luminary-Frostbite,TN
I said:
"Thanks god they don't make them anymore! What a POS as a police vehicle". Ok then do you dare to explain how I just bought a 2011 Dodge Durango. Just got it 4 days ago' date=' still putting in everything that I want in it, tho. :undecided: :undecided:[/quote']

They didn't make a 2010 model of the Durango beast......I think that is what he is referring to.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
boomsticksmile said:
They didn't make a 2010 model of the Durango beast......I think that is what he is referring to.

That's exactly what I was referring to. Back in 09 I had heard several agencies wanted to buy Durangos and couldn't, as they were told by the Dodge dealerships that Dodge was not producing them any longer. The Durango was on the Louisiana State Contract for vehicles at the time, but nobody could get any ordered anymore. That's why I said they weren't making them anymore....and for all of 2010 they didn't.

Those agencies wound up with Tahoes instead. Better choice any way IMO, since Chevy actually produced a "Police Package" Tahoe.....something Dodge never did with its Durango.

Even though I like the new styling of the 2011 Durango, I still think it's SHIT for a Police vehicle....just like all the rest of the Durangos produced in the years before and just like those ridiculous Intrepids.

So Mr I'mabeast enjoy your 4 day old 2011 Durango,.....I still think it's SHIT for a police vehicle, OK?

cory y

May 21, 2010
cajun youre making an assumption of a completely 100% new vehicle, based off of prejudice against a the previous generation.

thats extremely uncalled for. I would think better from an upfitter/installer.

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
cory y said:
cajun youre making an assumption of a completely 100% new vehicle, based off of prejudice against a the previous generation.

BAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH calm down killer:popcorn:

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
cory y said:

Since when is someones opinion about something "uncalled for"? I didn't know you were the opinion police around here cory, but thanks for clearing that up.

How many Durangos have you done upfits on cory? What agencies around your area are using Durangos today? I'm not talking about someone's POV with some lights installed on it....I'm talking about a full blown POLICE vehicle in service for patrol or K-9 use.

Whether the vehicle is 100% new or regurgitated, it's a Durango, and it's not spec'd as a "police package" vehicle....never was..... other than the fact that it was a "cheap" SUV that could be included in a State Contract for government and municipalities to buy to use as a "police" or "utility" vehicle.

From 2003 until present, the great Dodge Durango didn't even make it into the Michigan State Police Vehicle Evaluation tests (which BTW anyone in this industry worth their salt knows is the benchmark for Police Vehicle evaluations).....ever....not even as a "Special Services" vehicle, like the Escape or the Explorer. Wanna check my facts?

MSP - Police Vehicle Evaluation

At least the Dodge Magnum made it into the tests......oh yeah, where is the great Dodge Magnum today? Bueller.....Bueller? We can all see how well the Magnum worked out as a spec'd Police Package vehicle now can't we?

As a FORMER professional upfitter/installer in this industry, I wouldn't be doing my due diligence if I didn't express my opinion to agencies or anyone else that ask for it when deciding on what to purchase for "POLICE" vehicles. From ergonomics to comfort to safety and the availability of emergency equipment specific to that vehicle, as well as being able to safely install equipment that was not specific to the vehicle, I want my customers to understand what they could and could not expect when deciding on which vehicle to employ as a POLICE vehicle.

We've got an idiot Sheriff around here that utilizes Nissan Sentras.....NISSAN SENTRAS.... as patrol vehicles because he wanted to save some money. Would you just go with that flow and say "yeah Sheriff.....that's a GREAT idea!"? Would you? Do you care about the deputy that has to work in that clown car for up to 12 hours a day? Can you mount everything he needs to do his job in that car safely? Can you really?

So regardless of what YOU think better from an upfitter/installer, my opinion still is the Dodge Durango is SHIT as a Police Vehicle along with a host of other vehicles. If you want to go make love to it for whatever reason...be my guest.

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
I'm with cajun! This is of course just MY OPINION. I have up-fitted hundreds of vehicles and the Durango is right up at the top of my least favorite. Non-special service or police package vehicles are simply not designed, tested or intended to be patrol vehicles. Full blown patrol vehicles see a level of abuse that needs to be specifically engineered for their needs. I will be up-fitting a 2011 Durango soon and am dreading it although it can't be worse than the last model.

Again this is MY OPINION.

cory y

May 21, 2010
Cajun to anwer your question, Addison PD in my area has used durangos for a while, all the way back to the first gen R/T's to the last generation

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
But Cory, Addison is like 2 square miles. I agree with the rest, the previous Durango's were sloppy fuel drinking hounds.

I did a simple install of dual avenger on dash and back window on a 2011 V6 durango, and it was a wonderful vehicle. Comfotable for my fat self, and even getting on it, I averaged 22mpg's according to the computer. The transmission is still the yawn 5 speed, but that will change soon enough.

The 2011 durango shares its self with the 2011 Grand Cheroke. And I think both are pretty good vehicles, and the last of the mid sized RWD SUV's. Both put that over priced FWD taurus station wagon calling its self an Explorer to shame.

cory y

May 21, 2010
i think we got off track here. I wasnt claiming that the previous generation durangos were or were not a good police car, i was simply saying that hes crucifying a vehicle that was just introduced to the public a couple of months ago and it is a brand new vehicle in its entireity

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.