2009 Toyota Corolla High Beam flasher issue

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
So, I'm working on an install for a friend as I have time between other work. The issue is with the high beams on the 2009 Toyota Corolla, it would appear that there is no ground or +12 VDC until you turn the high beams on, so with the high beam switch off, there is no way to turn the bulb on by either adding +12 VDC to the hot, or ground to the Neg wire (confirmed using a power probe).

Currently using a Whelen UHF5150.

Wired correctly:

Black - Ground

Red - Fused power (Battery)

Orange - Console switch

Blue - Left High beam bulb

Blue/White - Left High Beam harness

Yellow - Right High beam bulb

Yellow/White - Right high beam harness

White - Spliced in with Blue/White

White/Black - Spliced in with Orange

Brown - not used

White/Brown - not used

White/Violet - not wired

The flasher activates and the relays click when turned on and the +12 VDC goes on and off with the flasher (verified with power probe). The high beam override works and shuts the flasher off when the high beams are activated and the high beams do come on.

I am thinking that I will have to wire in a full time ground to the ground side of the bulbs (possibly with diodes) to get the high beams to flash.

Just need a few folks to look at this and verify I am thinking the right way (Cajun, C2, anybody)

Thanks.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
If it helps at all, I think the high beams on that car are also DRL's. Not sure how that affects your install, but figured I would mention it in case it's one of those things that is hosing you up on this.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Instead of wiring in a full-time ground, you might be better off wiring in a relay that provides a ground only when the headlight flasher is activated.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Sounds like a similar setup to my GM truck: headlight power is positive switched, and low/high beam selection is ground switched. If that's the case, the easy solution is to use a ground switched flasher and keep the headlight switch on when the flasher is in use. Adding a ground relay would be more elegant.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
MtnMan said:
Sounds like a similar setup to my GM truck: headlight power is positive switched, and low/high beam selection is ground switched. If that's the case, the easy solution is to use a ground switched flasher and keep the headlight switch on when the flasher is in use. Adding a ground relay would be more elegant.

The flasher I am using can either be pos or neg switched, it doesn't work in either mode.

Nope, no power or ground to the high beams until the high beams are activated, even with the low beams on, there is no power or ground at the high beam. I chased everything back from both high beams and it appears to go to a central lighting module with a couple of relays on it. Both relays activate when the high beams are activated, confirming what I found out with the power probe, no power or ground until the high beams are activated.

Looks like the flasher activated relay for ground it is. And you are right, much more elegant.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.