2010 Michigan State Police

DT_Fire

Aug 24, 2010
4 Seasons, MI USA
On all their slick top Chargers they have Red & Blue to the front. None of the chargers have the roof beacon. They only put those on the Crown Vics & Tahoe's.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
DT_Fire said:
On all their slick top Chargers they have Red & Blue to the front. None of the chargers have the roof beacon. They only put those on the Crown Vics & Tahoe's.
They also used a few Impalas with the old beacon on top.

FireEMSPolice said:
Are they not using them anymore?
I've heard that the roof on the Charger is too flimsy to hold up a heavy beacon like that. I figure they oughta just use a Whelen RB6 instead of slicktop.

DT_Fire

Aug 24, 2010
4 Seasons, MI USA
nerdly_dood said:
They also used a few Impalas with the old beacon on top.

I've heard that the roof on the Charger is too flimsy to hold up a heavy beacon like that. I figure they oughta just use a Whelen RB6 instead of slicktop.

I haven't seen an Impala on the road in quite some time.. But yes a few years back they did have a few Impala's with the beacons.

As far as the weight of the beacon; they are going to the LED style now and those don't have nearly as much weight as the older rotator beacons.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
KEEP the RV26's with the old rotating internals!! From what video I've seen of the new LED stacks, I like the old rotating internals better.

Just my 2 cents.

dmathieu said:
I miss the roof beacon!
Dan

niagara16

Jan 30, 2011
Irn Mnt , MI
Ty are putting the roof bubble on the chargers now. they asked dodge to beef the roof up. The new beacons on the roof are made by and designed by Whelen.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Actaully the Unity RV lights are just being retrofitted. MSP has plenty of bases, domes and bands. The new lights are all red as the spitfire domes are no longer avalible. The internal LEDs are being made for them by whelen. As the cars are replaced or the lights develop problems with the motors they are changed out.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
niagara16 said:
Ty are putting the roof bubble on the chargers now. they asked dodge to beef the roof up. The new beacons on the roof are made by and designed by Whelen.

Dodge or anyone else shouldnt have to beef anything up. MSP should get with the times and use a lightbar. Quit being stupid.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
FireEMSPolice said:
Dodge or anyone else shouldnt have to beef anything up. MSP should get with the times and use a lightbar. Quit being stupid.

+1

It used to be tradition to have a Dalmatian go to fires with the crew. It used to be tradition to charge a patient before they got in the ambulance. Lastly, it used to be tradition for a police cruiser to pull along side you and tell you to pull over. I have yet to see a FD even keep a Dalmatian as a pet! I'm also pretty sure I'd be fired if I made a patient's family pay me before I started CPR! Now-a-days it's too damn dangerous to pull along side a car to signal a stop. Traditions die for a reason: they become outdated!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I say keep some tradition.

The new MSP LED beacon seems plenty effective , and is unique. We have a fire chief up here who rides all day with his dalmation. Keeping some old school mixed with some of the new school is a good thing.

Dan

Muxlow

Jun 2, 2010
Middlesex/ontario
I guess MSP was workign with whelen for sometime on how to keep the existing becon light housing and just retrofit a LED into it.. took whelen 5 years to come up with something that would fit.. So all the LED's for their cars are custom made just for them, And they just kept the same housing and such too.

Iv seen the LED ones on their cars and in "action" few years ago when i went to oklahoma. Nothing fancy at all about the lights.. 1 flash pattern

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
For a state that doesnt have alot of money, it most cost a pretty penny to have lights custom made for them. I wonder how much they cost vs the cost of a new LED Justice, Liberty or some such. Seems like a watse.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
FireEMSPolice said:
For a state that doesnt have alot of money, it most cost a pretty penny to have lights custom made for them. I wonder how much they cost vs the cost of a new LED Justice, Liberty or some such. Seems like a watse.

I've read that the whole setup is $950 per. They've already cited a $250,000 yearly savings by not having to replace halogen beams and motors. The single beacon's profile also has far less wind-drag than even the thinnest modern lightbars. This means a higher top speed and greater fuel efficiency.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Since when is Whelen based i n Michigan?

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I know where Whelen is based. In the article it said that Whelen is a Michigan based manufacturer. I was being sarcastic! :bonk:

Detroit VAP

Jan 16, 2011
US Michigan
Some of the MSP cars and SUVs are appearing with light bats now. There is a grey Charger running around Detroit with a light bar along with a grey Mustang. A dark blue Tahoe is also running around the Western suburbs of Detroit with a light bar. When turned on, they are red/blue. In the 70's they tested light bars on the patrol cars, but decided to stay with the single red light on top.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Detroit VAP said:
Some of the MSP cars and SUVs are appearing with light bats now.

What the hell are light bats? Are they radioactive bats that fly in front of the car and bite people if they don't get out of the way? If so, I want a few! :hahano: Just messing with you! maybe they decided to join the 21st century!

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Most MSP vehicles are running red/blue now. Lots of dark blue vehicles running around now and less and less "MSP Blue". Even some red, blue, and silver undercover Magnums.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.