2011 Chevy Silverado Z71 **Updated 06/03**

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
Hear is the install that was completed today on my 2011 Silverado.

Front:

Whelen Slimlighter RR

SOS HLF

Whelen Dominator 8 Head RRWAAWRR

2x Whelen Vertex White

2x Whelen Vertex Red

Rear:

Axxixtech Warning/Traffic Director Stick Red

2x Whelen Vertex White

2x Whelen Vertex Red

2x SOS Ghost Lights Red

Inside:

Whelen CenCom Gold

Whelen Projector Speaker

Other:

Road Armor Brushguard

Rigid Industries LED Off Road Lights

Bushwhacker Fender Flares

K&N Cold Air Intake

Procomp Wheels and Tires

ReadyLift Leveling Kit and Rear Blocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmyFFAmUOjc

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Really really wanna see a video! It looks like a great install. Only thing I'm not sure about is the amber to the front? I'd love to see the whelen HAW's compared to the SOS. What made you use them from different brands?

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
I have procured lights from previous installs, this board and the installer, hense why so many different brands.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Like:

Clean install

Mostly adequate lighting

no substantial overkill

dislike

very fast pattern on front and rear bars

vertical video syndrome

Overall, very nice and well done!

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Nice install. I'm not a fan of amber to the front. It confuses drivers unless u are a tow truck. I would slow the hlf down to the slowest alternating pattern.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Nice install!! Not a fan of the location of the control, maybe move it to the right more. I'd be afraid of hitting it.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
Black pickups with lifts, black rims and brush guard equals pure sexy!! Looks good, just don't like the amber to front, put some to rear.

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
Thanks guys for the feedback. I just wanted to address a few points that were brought up. First, I only have two amber light heads to the front, and they are both buried in the dominator. 95% of the forward facing warning lights are either red or white, so I am sure that the only people who will truely take note are the hobbiest/purest/professional installer type like you all, no offense. Second, the CenCom control head is located in an ideal spot for me to be able to operate it from my natural seated driving position. This enables me to keep my focus on the road and not get distracted by searching or reaching for the control head. Third, my knee has no way of hitting the CenCom unless I drive my truck with the seat leaned back, like a "G-ride". That was something I triple checked before it was installed.

Reactions: robs.leds

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Camerin said:
Thanks guys for the feedback. I just wanted to address a few points that were brought up. First, I only have two amber light heads to the front, and they are both buried in the dominator. 95% of the forward facing warning lights are either red or white, so I am sure that the only people who will truely take note are the hobbiest/purest/professional installer type like you all, no offense. Second, the CenCom control head is located in an ideal spot for me to be able to operate it from my natural seated driving position. This enables me to keep my focus on the road and not get distracted by searching or reaching for the control head. Third, my knee has no way of hitting the CenCom unless I drive my truck with the seat leaned back, like a "G-ride". That was something I triple checked before it was installed.

If the position of the Control head works for you and is safe to use while driving then that's all that really matters. To be honest, I didn't even notice the amber to the front so I wouldn't worry about it...

Reactions: robs.leds

ffdsmokeeater

Oct 19, 2010
Northern Virginia
Sharp looking truck. I've got a 2010 Silverado LTZ, looks very similar to yours.

I like how you mounted the rear warning stick with "no holes". Are those custom brackets? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
ffdsmokeeater said:
I like how you mounted the rear warning stick with "no holes". Are those custom brackets? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

I actually bought the rear light stick and brackets from the installer, strobes-r-us because the lights stick that I was going to originally have installed, a 911EP stick was DOA. I have tried to contact the person who sold me the light stick, a board member here, has not gotten back to me yet as to returning/exchanging the stick.

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
The first photo is how she stands today. The second photo is the truck totally stock the day I bought it. Unfortunately I didn't get to wash her since she got dirty attending a recent training site.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
LOVE the wheels and push bumper on this install

FireMedic027

Nov 21, 2011
Armada, Michigan
I have a 2010 Silverado and this definitely gives me some ideals on how to do my truck. Wouldn't worry about the forward facing amber, I personally think it looks good. I would slow down the dominator in the grill though as we'll as the rear stick. Any plans on any side warning lights?

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
The Dominator is on a random pattern, not much I can do about the stick speed.

As far as side warning, because the cab is short, there wouldn't be much of a break in time between viewing front and rear warning. Even though it is a four door truck there isn't much room on the interior for mounting side warning, like a single lighthead to the B pillar area without getting in the way.

And thank you Fire medic, I got a lot of ideas for my install from posts I had seen on this forum.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
BAD ASS!

i think that it needs some side/intersection warning and a little more punch on the front headliner (the slimlighter looks a bit weak up there compared to all the action you got going in the grill/HLF area), but you did a nice setup

FireMedic027

Nov 21, 2011
Armada, Michigan
I have a Whelen CPS690 that I am contemplating selling because I want to do Whelen Vertex lights instead due to the difference in power draw. How were they to install in the headlights and tail lights?

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
I had a professional install shop install all the lights for me. They didn't mention any problems during the install and it was done the same day.

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Love the truck.

Didn't think so much the first time, but with the newer video (clearer view), I have to agree about the amber to the front.

It isn't that there is just a little, it is the fact that there IS NOT enough red there. Three colors in one spot washes it all out at that speed. That is what makes it confusing.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i know you're obviously looking for a slicktop/covert look, but boy, how sexy i personally think a libby w/ clear lenses and red end caps would look!

btw, was it challenging or pretty easy to wire up the axixtech bar to the cencom for t/a functions?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
looks great however, i too wish the Dominator was ALL red. Can you try and trade some modules in the classified section?

side note: I just hooked my HLF to my Duallys and WOW! :eek:

a Pair of Red Lin3s on the sides of that push bumper and youd be SET. :thumbsup:

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do have another all red 911EP stick enroute shortly that I am thinking of replacing the Dominator with. As far as the taillight question, the vertex was installed just to the inside of each bulb. All taillight bulbs remained intact.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Sharp truck. Slower patterns are better. Front and back. Not to be an ass but but your reasoning behind not having side lighting was kinda funny. In my opinion the side lights are just as important as the rear. More so then the front

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
Eric1249 said:
In my opinion the side lights are just as important as the rear. More so then the front

Can you explain that some more, especially the last part? How can you state that side warning is just as important as front warning?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
To me intersection and rear warning are more imporant then the front. Side warning is obvious. You are pulling into cross traffic (intersection) and people are doing everything but driving so you really need to get their attention. If you go direct or ever have to stop in traffic I dont think a couple of strobes or leds in the tails is enough. I dont go direct anymore so I have enough for people to identify me. I am sure I made that as clear as mud lol

If you cause an accident at an intersection because you are pulling into traffic and you have no side warning, you could get your butt. Just my .02

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.